It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Ticketed For Putting Out Trash Can 1/2 Hour Early

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

A Queens man is very upset after trying to put his trash out for collection and ending up with a ticket. He, and others, are getting snared in an enforcement of a law that few people even know exists. The scrooge award goes to the New York City Sanitation Department for the $100 tickets. Raymond Janson says he received the $100 fine for putting his garbage cans at the curb 30 minutes early. "I can't say how incensed I am over this," Janson says. "Not only at the excessive amount, but the nature of the summons." The Failure to Store Receptacle summons from the agent stated: "I did observe three 30 gallon plastic can(s) placed out on the public sidewalk on a non-collection day." Janson says, "We've lived here 30 years and always put the garbage out Monday and Thursday for Tuesday and Friday pickup." It is legal to put out the trash cans the day before pick-up but the time of the day matters. City sanitation rules say the cans can be put out no earlier than 4:00 p.m. from October 1st to April 1st. Janson's ticket was written at 3:27 p.m.

Seriously guys... don't ticket people for putting a trash can out early. Everywhere I've lived the standard procedure was to put the cans out the night before. No one cared. At all. I suppose in a more urban environment it makes sense to keep the sidewalks clear, but a $100 ticket for a 1/2 hour early? Methinks the sanitation worker has a bit of a power trip going on.

Link

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I guess if he took a wiz on the bushes he would of got the chair

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ga-`tv-gi

Or have been labeled a sex offender. Farting in public is now biological warfare. Don't even think about sneezing in an elevator.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

My local geniuses thought it would be a good idea to buy a fleet of gas guzzling vehicles and have patrols going around looking for offenders that also have either put their cans out early or left out late.

link   
reply to post by Domo1

We need to get those Prosper PD up there to NY and get 'em to start handing out gift cards for timely trash can placement...ya know,
garbage etiquette,
and stuff.

Hell,
thinking I should head over to Prosper- not all that far from me- and just go around being awesome and make some last minute cash money!

link   
reply to post by Domo1

That's crazy, I would have put the ticket in the trash. I put my cans out the night before the trash men come.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
people are seriously so stupid that it hurts sometimes...

its just never good enough for the people in control, be thankful the guy has the morality to even put the trash out instead of dumping it on your property.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

We need to get those Prosper PD up there to NY and get 'em to start handing out gift cards for timely trash can placement...ya know

Seriously.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Really this kind of crap has been going on for ages in the area around here. My girlfriend got a ticket for, something like 60 dollars or so, for being 1 day late, yep that's right, one day after her car inspection expired.

I just expect this kind of crap to only get worse. Another town closeby on the island here (not too far from Queens actually), were giving people tickets for turning on a red light, which in the town was legal, but because they didn't stop for a full 5 seconds first. Yeah, try doing that in the morning rush and your going to get your a** rear ended.

This bullsh*t will only get worse because we just love to bend over and take it.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Its about collecting money for the state.

This will probably get thrown out, but because he had to go "not on his on volition" either he will likely get charged.

I remember getting a ticket after handing the officer my insurance, (the tt was for no insurance) and it was still valid.

It got thrown out but I had to pay a fee just for being forced to go to court.

I protested and he told me either I can sit and wait in the car for an insured driver (which I began to protest, yet again) or I can go on a nice ride in the back of his car.

I rarely call anyone bad names but this guys deserved the verbal haranguing. (I waited till he went back into his car)

He actually waited for my bro in law to drive off in my car.

Oh, and I did call the insurance company and told them what happened and they said it was still valid and offered to fax me the confirmation.
edit on 20-12-2011 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Note: It was not half an hour before pick up time, but half an hour before the legal timeframe to put them out. It probably would have been there the whole afternoon about morning.

Personally, I'm not gonna judge. If a town wants to set time frames for having garbage out, I'd have to live there to be able to judge the decision. How much it's going to be enforced, I also can't judge what's too much or not. It all depends on the local standards between personal convenience and overall sanitation.

Anywhere where putting garbage out half an hour before pick up time would be ridiculous. The true story, is just a sanitation code being violated. Not big news, if an issue at all.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

A Queens man is very upset after trying to put his trash out for collection and ending up with a ticket. He, and others, are getting snared in an enforcement of a law that few people even know exists. The scrooge award goes to the New York City Sanitation Department for the $100 tickets. Raymond Janson says he received the $100 fine for putting his garbage cans at the curb 30 minutes early. "I can't say how incensed I am over this," Janson says. "Not only at the excessive amount, but the nature of the summons." The Failure to Store Receptacle summons from the agent stated: "I did observe three 30 gallon plastic can(s) placed out on the public sidewalk on a non-collection day." Janson says, "We've lived here 30 years and always put the garbage out Monday and Thursday for Tuesday and Friday pickup." It is legal to put out the trash cans the day before pick-up but the time of the day matters. City sanitation rules say the cans can be put out no earlier than 4:00 p.m. from October 1st to April 1st. Janson's ticket was written at 3:27 p.m.

Seriously guys... don't ticket people for putting a trash can out early. Everywhere I've lived the standard procedure was to put the cans out the night before. No one cared. At all. I suppose in a more urban environment it makes sense to keep the sidewalks clear, but a $100 ticket for a 1/2 hour early? Methinks the sanitation worker has a bit of a power trip going on.

Link

We have rules here too about when but the night before a pick up is ok. Yard trash, ( grass clippings, leaves and such ) can go out on Sunday evening for P/U on Tues. Must be in clear plastic bags and they go to a community compost heap which is then redistributed to the community for gardens. ( free !)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I guess it depends where he lives.

We aren't allowed to put out the night before now because bears are roaming and are attracted to the waste. I don't know the exact new time frame we have.

Aside from that they are getting too picky. I got a warning ticket for 'not properly containing" my trash: A bird's beak punctured a hole throught the bag. They tagged it and refused to take it. I couldn't believe it!!

Now they've dropped off free green rot pots that you put food waste into. That oughtta attract the bears! I'm using it for pop bottles instead. I've heard in some cities it's the new law, forcing you to compost.

I bought a new trash can on wheels (wrong size) so I can push down the driveway with my only working leg in my wheelchair and I only put the two bag limit in it, but they tagged it as "over the limit" and left it. So I'm not allowed to use this can. What difference did it make? It had same amount within the limit. I have to call all over town trash day asking family or friends if they can put my trash out for me. I do it the night before because it's easier to ask for help during that time. So I'm ignoring the new rule.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
So they guy violates a written ordnance, but shouldn't be ticketed? The ticket was actually WRITTEN 30 min before the time allowed to be out. Who knows how long this guy actually had his stuff out...

Just like getting a tcket for going 36 in a 35. Speeding is speeding, and that's what the courts say.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Ignorance if the rules, is no defence.

The fact that the rule is stupid, imbecelic etc is also no excuse. If you don't agree with the rule, you have the option to try and change it, or to swallow your pride and accept it. Breaking it is not a valid option.

That said, my personal opinion is that a first offence should only equal a warning. A second and subsequent offence should result in the ticket.

As for people who are unable to put their bins out or collect them on time, I'm sure that someone offers a service whereby for a small weekly payment, they will move your bin to the kerbside, and collect it afterwards. They do here, and its a lot cheaper than a ticket.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris
Ignorance if the rules, is no defence.

Once upon a time I would have agreed with that statement. But not anymore. With all the backroom deals being made now a days, ignorance to the rules is by design. The law creators do not want us to know the rules so that they can teach them to us as we go.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
what isn't illegal in the united states.

wait, i know. embezzling 700 billion from the taxpayers.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
what isn't illegal in the united states.

wait, i know. embezzling 700 billion from the taxpayers.

THERE IT IS. Everything else is illegal. But only a few things are unlawful. It would behoove you all to know the difference. And it is a big difference.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryAlien

Just like getting a tcket for going 36 in a 35. Speeding is speeding, and that's what the courts say.

Which is why police are authorized to use discretion. You do make a good point about the bins being out possibly hours earlier.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Our garbage has to be in clear bags, no grocery bags, no grass clippings or yard waste. I don't use garbage cans(a lot of people don't) because when I used them the cans got thrown in the trucks! They refuse to take anything that isn't bagged up including cardboard. If it is to close to a parked car they won't even take your garbage.(Happened twice cuz someone parked in front of our house. They left an orange sticker on one of the bags...) Sometimes they miss a bag, and now they are going to be charging a monthly fee plus the taxes we pay now. Now mind you, I am grateful for the service, but could ya maybe be less picky? It used to be the garbage men would take anything... not anymore. Old carpet? Gotta pay to get rid of it. But yet you put your garbage out in a bin and they just throw the bin in.

Also another thing that makes no sense to me is, it's your own property, but yet you can't park your car on the grass, on the land, next to your house that you own? You have an unregistered car your fixing up on your property by the garage, off the grass and in your parking spot, yet they can tow and give you a hefty fine(plus charge you for the towing) all because the car is unregistered? Yet the title to the car is in yours, and the property that it is sitting on name. Does Not Make Sense To Me, and Pisses Me OFF.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join