We Killed Your Daughter; You're Under Arrest

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+36 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Sheriff deputy travelling in excess of 70 mph without lights ends up killing two pedestrians. Family members come out to identify the deceased, and the father of the woman killed was thrown to the ground and arrested.

"I was at home on Friday night working on my car when someone came running over and told me that a deputy ran over my daughter in the street,” recalls Jimmy Clevenger, Jolley’s father. “I ran down here, I was very upset…. The next thing I know, they had me by the neck and threw me to the ground and said I resisted arrest. My daughter was dead in the street and it was their fault.” The outraged relatives were taken to jail, and face criminal charges. Swearengin, the killer, was taken to the hospital and wasn’t compelled to undergo drug or alcohol screening The posted local speed limit (for Mundanes, of course) is 45 miles per hour. According to several on-scene accounts from horrified witnesses, Swearengin blew through the intersection at a speed of 75–90 miles per hour. Despite the fact that he was obviously in a hurry, Swearengin didn’t activate his siren or running lights — or, according to at least one eyewitness, his headlights.

If this had been an ordinary citizen, it would have been a felony. No charges have been filed against the officer. While I tend to side with the cops, I believe they should be held to a higher standard than the public. Of course I see an argument that police have to respond quickly to crimes, but endangering th public to chase down a car thief is not worth it in my eyes.

“What gets me is we already know the outcome,” complained Anna Rodriguez, one of Hiler’s friends, to a local reporter. “The officer will go on paid suspension. Then they will say he didn’t do anything wrong. And that will be the end of it.”

That above quote is probably the truth.

Link

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Of course I see an argument that police have to respond quickly to crimes, but endangering th public to chase down a car thief is not worth it in my eyes.

That's the majority of Americas justice system. Extreme measures for relatively benign crimes.

Speeding even with lights and sirens is endangering the public.

Every time there is a chase or a full speed response that cop should think "is plowing through some kids in a crosswalk worth this?"

Given they always arrive after the crime is over despite their speeding the answer is almost always going to be "absolutely not."

Medics know when life and death is in the balance. Why cant cops?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I've been on some ride alongs that scared the hell out of me. We went chasing after some guy that blew a stop sign at 40mph in a residential neighborhood and the whole time I was worried we were going to hit a pedestrian. Jumped a dip in the street at 60 mph and the cop and I both let out a string of words that would make a sailor blush when we landed.

Of course they can't just let everything go if people run but at the same time they need to be held accountable when they do something reckless.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Cause and Effect reversed - Take the Effect and make it the Cause, you burned my house down and got mad at my reaction.

Nice find!
edit on 20-12-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
So why was the father of the dead girl arrested?
Because he was upset?
Something is really rotten here.
Even worse is the fact that this seems to be happening more and more oftern.

+51 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
And people wonder why, lately, I have an aversion to police.

...I have an aversion to anyone who can kill me and get away with it.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
A similar story happened where I live. As usual, the officer got away almost scott free. His only punishment was losing his job. It's sickening to see this happen to somebody else.
texomashomepage.com...

If I were in the fathers shoes, that officer would be eating breakfast out of a tube.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
When are the fathers in these types of scenarios going to stand up?

If this were my daughter, I'd......better not say, I will be banned.

People are too chicken hearted to stand up to the power.

A nation of sheep begets a govt of wolves, with sheepdogs as their enforcers. No sheep will ever stand up to the dog, even though there are hundreds of sheep for one dog.

edit on 20-12-2011 by CaptChaos because: pic

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
pathetic, disgusting, a testament to their sheer brutality and neglect of empathy.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Great find Domo! I think the pursuit ought to have a review for need and justification..especially about light/siren policy being followed. I have no idea what that Department might be...but I personally think any situation where traffic laws will be broken should require that lights and siren be used. It just makes sense..and isn't that what they are there for anyway??

I really don't see anything but a terrible tragedy here...right up to the point they turn the Father into an additional victim with an arrest. That was inexcusable. I mean c'mon here... what the hell?? If the man is out of control or just going bonkers out of shock and grief, how about some compassion?! These cops are fathers too in all likelihood, so where is the humanity? Perhaps restrain him...with care and some compassion....until he calms down. However, throw down and cuff?

As much as I try to see the Police side of things..and 90% of cops are good people trying to make a living....stories like this make it awfully difficult to maintain that positive outlook and way of seeing things. This was just disgusting in every way,.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

If the man is out of control or just going bonkers out of shock and grief, how about some compassion?

For all I know the guy may have attacked the cop but actually charging him with resisting arrest in a time of obvious duress seems very very cold. Really just a sad story all around.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
this could be a load of crap using actors .... just saying

dont trust the news they been trying to promote outrage lately and it seems they been staging none events filming it and passing it off as real...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Exactly..and we definitely agree. I don't think it's about the law itself in so many of these cases...but simple Officer discretion. They have it, they can use it...but fail to so often at the expense of citizens who need their help and a little understanding...not abuse and criminal charges.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

simple Officer discretion

Which to my understanding is one of the tenets of good police work.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Responding to a stolen vehicle report certainly doesn't justify this kind of reckless action by the deputy. I hope they protest and get this guy charged with vehicular manslaughter, and false arrest. This is outragious.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Ofcourse the cop doesnt get in trouble. They never do, I hate to see what happens to the police if s ever does htf

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
If this is legit I hope they hang that deputy out to dry. If it is a hoax I hope the "victims" are treated likewise. There are some real idiots sporting badges, our department just fired one for waaaaay less than this. But, there are good guys too....I just hate when law enforcement pulls this crap because it makes us all look suspect. It depends on the department, there are some that are corrupt all the way through and the good guys get run off quick. Then there are others that work the opposite way. Look to the man in charge, Sheriffs can be voted out unlike Police Chiefs.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by americanwoman

That's what I hate too, bad cops sullying the badge. I typically really like police and have known some great cops. When a cop acts like a jackass I expect them to be held to the same standard (if not a higher one) than an average citizen. Otherwise the internet fills up with people that hate cops. Oh wait...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Because its a crime scene. Its entirely possible the actions of family members could alter any criminal or even civil actions against the officer. While I understand the family members response, his actions could undermine any justice for the girls death. Again, I cant say this enough - Its a crime scene.

As far as the lights and siren goes that is completely irrelevant. The Supreme Court has ruled that the responsibility to exercise a higher degree of due diligence and caution while any emergency vehicle is responding lies with the officer, not the public.

If the officer were running code, full lights and sirens, and comes up on an intersection where the officers light is green and ends up t-boning a car who ran the red light, its still the officers fault. Because we can lawfully ignore certain traffic regulations (traffic mind you - its very narrow) for emergencies, the standard placed on the officer is extremely high, and for good reason.

One of the top 10 most dangerous actions law enforcement can perform is responding code to a call.

As for this case, based on the article, the cop is done with law enforcement and will see the inside of a prison cell for his actions. Even if his defense was he was responding to a call, it will not work. The responsibility is the officer and the officer alone.

I know its not much comfort to people trying to explain this. Also, I am not defending the officers actions. I am merely providing the information that will better allow people to understand the how and whys.
edit on 20-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I won't even comment on that, I'm too pissed...
I'm gonna go punch a few holes in a wall....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join