It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Censor Bill Could Target Political Campaigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Perhaps now potential candidates for office will sop supporting the bill, if it ends up biting them in the backside.

Fast-forward more than three years, and a new piece of legislation is making its way through Congress that would make it easier for online campaign content and websites to be taken down. Even more concerning, if passed, this bill would allow opposing campaigns or campaign committees — not just the original content provider — to pull down websites harboring “infringing content.” The legislation that campaigns across the country should be concerned about is the Stop Online Piracy Act. The overarching goal of SOPA is a good one: Take aggressive steps to curb online copyright infringement. The problem is that the bill would create heavy-handed regulations that would blacklist legitimate websites without adequately addressing online piracy.

This bill freaks me out. Giving authority to essentially kill off an website deemed to have violated gives the govt. unprecedented control over information. Combine that with the ability of those already in office to hamstring opponents campaigns and we are looking at a very scary future.

Link

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It does look like this bill will pass and if it does what are we going to do about it? You could argue the internet is the greatest invention known to man by the way we can get any infomation in a matter of seconds, The PTB don't like this so come on people we gotta fight this bill so any Ideas?
Because if we don't do something sites like this one will not exist, we won't be able to change our policy makers because we won't get to know things like this....
S&F dude.
edit on 20-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Here is a place to get information on stopping the bill.

I really wish (and have said this a million times) ATS was a little more on the ball and vocal about this.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Here is a place to get information on stopping the bill.

I really wish (and have said this a million times) ATS was a little more on the ball and vocal about this.

Cheers for the link I have just sent it out to everyone in my mail book.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Cheers for the link I have just sent it out to everyone in my mail book.

Awesome thank you. I really would like to see more people get involved.

new topics

top topics

join