It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found! 2 Earth-Size Alien Planets, the Smallest Exoplanets Yet

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Kepler data is always sort of interesting. I just can't wait for the day that these exo-planets can be imaged directly!!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Smugallo

Might be taking some time for that to pan out. Some of these worlds are prolly like nothing we could imagine either. I want to see Kepler-22b.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Kepler is getting the job done in my book and does deserve the funding to keep the project going. IF we can find a Earth size Kepler-22b again this would be a big step. Now if only we could find more habitable planets or at least in that zone.
reply to post by SloAnPainful

That's wishful thinking, IMO. If we find a relatively close planet, what do we do then? Build a star ship to go there? Where's the money come from?

Let's put it into perspective. With technology we have now, we could probably manage .20 c, if we had the money available to design a busard style ramscoop for hydrogen fuel. Conventional style propulsion. No warp or star gate technology yet. The old-fashioned way.

As Zorgon stated he likes Gliese 581 d. That's 20 lya. One of the closest ones. At .20 c, it'd take 140 years to reach it.

Here's a few others:

At 45 lya, there's 47 Ursae Majoris b, and it'd take around 230 years to go there.

At 600 lya, we have Kepler 22 b. That'd take 4200 years to reach there.

At 950 lya, we have your newest exo-planets. That'd take 6650 earth years to reach there.

Without developing a more efficient means of propulsion, (ie, warp drive or something) it appears we are stuck on this rock with no feasible funding for a space program devoted to colonization. We are using up our natural resources, and I don't have much hope for traveling beyond our own solar system. We should already have a space dock, a ship yard, and a colony on the moon. We SHOULD be sinking tons of money into R&D of a capable engine at least to get to the Kuniper Belt. What do we do? We fight wars, and quibble about trivial differences. 23 million for ONE jet fighter? Give me a freakin break. Spend that money on R&D to reach the stars......

......yeah, methinks we will strip this planet, and then become extinct. Serves us right for being so short sighted and greedy.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

its not about going there. at least not in our lifetimes. Its about finding out what's out there, the big questions- are there other earths? can we find any? how common are they? what is our place in the universe?

we can still find out a lot about the galaxy without going anywhere.

do you think Galileo wouldn't be excited to know this? what about the greeks who 2000 years ago asked if there were other planets like earth around other stars?

we have the chance to find out these answers. if your viewing it form a "how are we going to get there" point of view you will be disappointed.

we need to lick fusion power here on earth before we think about going to the stars.
edit on 20-12-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

I may be wrong on this but i beleive that the stronger a force of gravity then the smaller the animals must be. This is one of the arguments the expanding earth theorists give for our size relative to the dinosaur. That being said. we are arrogant to think we know what life needs!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

How do they know that another species can't live off purely methane or hydrogen?

they dont but they do know complex life & large animals can live off oxygen.

tell me this : if we detected a planet with a hydrogen atmosphere how would we know it had this hydrogen breathing life there? we wouldn't because we have no reference for that kind of life.

But if we detect an earth-size planet with a lot of oxygen in the atmopshere, the only way we know to produce oxygen is from plants & some microbes. So we have either discovered a planet with life or a planet that has a new way to produce oxygen continuesly without life. . Our bets would be on life in this scenario

this is the goal of future planet hunting telescopes. To detect earth-size planets with oxygen in the atmosphere. The holy grail Earth 2.0
edit on 20-12-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

Very true....

I just don't believe that ALL complex and large animals have to have oxygen, or even water for that matter.

Again, on a universal scale, Earthling humans have only been to our own moon; not even a micro-scratch of the rest of the universe. Plus, we truly don't even know about all the life forms on our own planet (i.e. ocean life...)

So in a sense, it is not an accurate statement to say that complex and large animals have to live off of what WE live off of...

No offense, but that's that arrogance again.

Its natural to think that YOUR form is the most intelligent and most supreme; its just not realistic.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
grrr.. 950 light years away! Even if we had a spacecraft that could travel at the speed of light be wouldn't even make it in a life time! Distance is such a let down... and human technology. How will us earthlings conquer long distance space travel?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
So why all these big revelations, rumours of war, disasters mass protests, economic calapse and now possibility of alien planets and 2012.

Does it not sound a bit suspect?

Obvious!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by curiousrb

There's hope of sorts. You forget about time dilation effects when traveling close to c. A space ship could make it there, but even then they'd be on their own. A colony ship that's fully self-supportive would be able to make it. I'm just worried about the human race surviving long enough to get off-planet. One off-world colony is all I ask.
The moon first, then the stars.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
The weird thing is that if/when they do find a second Earth, Man will find a way of getting there. And i dont mean in 100-1000 years. Once found someone will develop a tool to get us there, its what we do best. I really hope its within my life time, id love to visit Pandora, eh?

Couldn't agree more. Besides as new needs arise, the US Government wil make some of those secret patents public. New engineering developed in a country looking for its next job boom that would spread world wide... Space travel. When the moments just right. IMHO

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Well we have to get off this planet if we want to carry on the human race. If we don't take a hit from a asteroid or a meteorite then the sun will surely kill us all when it runs out of fuel, blows up and destroys all the planets here. I find it hard,weird and sad thinking that one day this will all be gone.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by curiousrb
reply to post by Druid42

Well we have to get off this planet if we want to carry on the human race. If we don't take a hit from a asteroid or a meteorite then the sun will surely kill us all when it runs out of fuel, blows up and destroys all the planets here. I find it hard,weird and sad thinking that one day this will all be gone.

Me too!!

I am totally fascinated with this topic tho....Exodus Earth

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Very interesting topic indeed. The universe is a BIG BIG BIG unimaginely (excuse spelling) BIG place. I honestly can imagine and realize how big it is. Us humans have come a long way sine Galileo, Issac Newton, Copernicus even as little back as the 1950's. And yet we still have only just started to realize that space is full of wonders and unpredictable events. We know so much about the universe in our eyes, but really, theres a lot more to know. I'm very interested in this topic with is why I want to study Astronautical Engineering. (Not smart enough to be an astrophysicist sadly) haha.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Your thoughts echo my own. Where would we post a thread to? I mean, which forum? Ah. I got it.

Fresh out of the oven......HERE.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
The weird thing is that if/when they do find a second Earth, Man will find a way of getting there. And i dont mean in 100-1000 years. Once found someone will develop a tool to get us there, its what we do best. I really hope its within my life time, id love to visit Pandora, eh?

Necessity is the mother of invention.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It's very exciting to be realizing that other planets existED. The thing is that these planets and stars, etc, that we are seeing NOW, we are ONLY seeing now...when it was 950 light years ago that it looked the way it does.

So even if we DID figure out how to "get there" in a lifetime, or at warp speed, when we arrived, it would NOT be the same as we "see" it.

This is one of the space exploration issues that really intrigues me; because what we are seeing as happening "now" in the celestial, actually happened a while back....in the most distant cases we've found, a REALLY long while back....so it's an illusion only. If you look at a star, and could go to that celestial spot at will, it might not be there at all, or it might have grown, or shrunk, or whatever the heck stars "do."

Same for planets. Does it look habitable? Yes, it looks like it was habitable 950 light years ago.

If we were to actually VISIT it today, it might have a complex society of intelligent life that people on earth (provided there are any) won't "see" from here until (EDIT to illustrate my own ineptitiude: 2962 would not be right. It would be much longer than that, correct? I don't get the light-year vs Earth-year thing at all.) I have no idea when.
So it's no use trying to "get there," or imagining "colonizing" anything that's further than maybe 25 light years away...Gilese is 20 ly away? There's a possibility. On the chance that in the last 2 decades of light traveling no catastrophes or major changes have gone underway there.

At least, to my very limited grasp of space, light years, physics, quantum stuff, this seems to me to be the case. What we see in the heavens is an image of what was once there.
edit on 21-12-2011 by wildtimes because: to admit I'm ignorant about ly calculations.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Having said that (above), it is possible, in my thinking, that (if you go with the concept of us being a colony) we could find our "home" planet -- the one from which "we" were originally brought HERE as colonists.....we could be seeing our ancient alien ancestors as they looked all those thousands and thousands and thousands of years ago when they were only dreaming of finding an earth-like place to plant us.

How cool would that be?
Like living history. We would learn SO MUCH about where we actually came from.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

So in a sense, it is not an accurate statement to say that complex and large animals have to live off of what WE live off of...

who claims large animals have to live off oxygen?

edit on 21-12-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by curiousrb
How will us earthlings conquer long distance space travel?

Simple... use the Tesla design to generate unlimited free energy and fold space

We have already done it on our sci-fi shows, so that means we have the concept. And many of the things in the old Star Trek series has already been developed.

And Tesla had this 100 years ago

Los Alamos has workings on Warp Drives...
arxiv.org...:+AND+warp+drive/0/1/0/all/0/1

Quantum Interest in (3+1) dimensional Minkowski space
arxiv.org...

Minkowski space, a concept, often referred to by science fiction writers as hyperspace, that refers to the four-dimensional spacetime of special relativity

en.wikipedia.org...

So we already have the concepts and are working on the math... All we need is one brilliant mind to pop up to fill in the gaps

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join