It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found! 2 Earth-Size Alien Planets, the Smallest Exoplanets Yet

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
I'm sorry but I can't help but find these stories somewhat humorous. You mean to tell me that 950 MILLION LIGHT YEARS away they can tell how big a planet is and how close it is but yet they can't provide us with good photos to our nearest planets? Point that god damn Keplar telescope at one of them damn it.
edit on 20-12-2011 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

It's not about distance, it's about light. If there is not enough light on the object it cannot be visible to us.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Yeah Kepler doesn't care about distance, it can see if a planet is in a certain zone (hot, habitable, cold, frozen ect) by watching the planet pass in front of it parent star. Then it depicts the light and how much light is visible when it passes. It actually a pretty accurate way to see size, mass and what zone it is in.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
While I am excited about this new find, I am so tired of scientist making the claim that a planet has to be in the "Goldie locks" zone in order to be habital.

WE feel that WE are in the "Goldie locks Zone" because WE live here....

I am certain that the inhabitants of Venus feel that THEY are in the Goldie Locks Zone because THEY live there...
Earth could be viewed as too cold.

I am certain that the inhabitants of Neptune feel that THEY are in the Goldie Locks Zone because THEY live there...
Earth could be viewed as too hot.

We will never progress as a society and expand our knowledge and acceptance of the universe as long as we remain undoubtedly ARROGANT= "Life can only exist where it has what WE have...blah blah blah".

Arrogant and Ignorant

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

950 MILLION LIGHT YEARS

950 light-years not MILLION
Reading skills are devolving around ATS lately

Earthlike Planet, Gliese 581 (Gliza) habitable zone?

Hello Gliese 581d inhabitant. Can you help us humans travel through space and become smart like you. Please do not eat us we are a friendly race. Angus Pigott Canberra, Australia

www.hellofromearth.net...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Did they say that was a habitable planet or a goldielock?

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

you must know something about venus & neptune the rest of us dont

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

its another quite bad planet being hyped by astronomers notice the words "could be" etc . Although that youtube clip doesn't state which of the gliese planets its talking about. But theyre all pretty far away from being an earth analogue.
edit on 20-12-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Not 950 million, loose the million.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Wow, amazing. Thank you for posting and all the informative information.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Reply to post by SloAnPainful

You should all realize, Kepler only sees planets that occlude their parent star.

In other words, the plane of the orbits of any planted I'm the system have to be edge on when viewed from earth.

Any systems whose planets are orbiting with top down ( or bottom up) view will not be detected

I believe this to be a significant number that we are blind to.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

yeah but we know the chance of the correct alignment something like 0.5% ( for earth size in earth orbit) so we can figure how many we dont see.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by ButterCookie

you must know something about venus & neptune the rest of us dont

Yes.

That our earthly human life is not the only life form in the universe...

that we are not the supreme creatures of the universe.... and

that life MOST DEFINITELY can exist outside of Earth, irregardless of its ability to sustain human life....

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
Did they say that was a habitable planet or a goldielock?

Funny though a few years ago skeptics were saying that planets were a rare thing, now they are common, and as pointed out we are only seeing a small percent as they move in front of the home sun... But even those few that we do see, as of 27 April 2010, 453 planets have been discovered.

Gliese system is cool because it is only 20ish light years away, just around the corner

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

well in the 1950s astronomers thought planets were rare because they thought planets were created when stars collided into each other. Which would be a rare event. But since the 1970s astronomers have thought planets to be common. Its detecting them that is hard.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Looks like G is our best bet for life and habitility (sorry I know thats spelled wrong >.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

i dont think gliese G has been confirmed. Its still controversial because of this. It might be there it might not.

habitability? not good i think. The tidal forces exerted by the star at that distance are likely to cause great internal and surface disruption- not a good place to build a house
. Its more likely to have oceans of magma than water like earth. Then you've got the problem of tidal locking and the light spectrum of the star. (mainly UV)

Still it makes me wonder what these places are like.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

950 MILLION LIGHT YEARS

950 light-years not MILLION
Reading skills are devolving around ATS lately

Earthlike Planet, Gliese 581 (Gliza) habitable zone?

Hello Gliese 581d inhabitant. Can you help us humans travel through space and become smart like you. Please do not eat us we are a friendly race. Angus Pigott Canberra, Australia

www.hellofromearth.net...

Ah thank you sir...not sure why I put MILLION in there, lol.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
While I am excited about this new find, I am so tired of scientist making the claim that a planet has to be in the "Goldie locks" zone in order to be habital.

WE feel that WE are in the "Goldie locks Zone" because WE live here....

I am certain that the inhabitants of Venus feel that THEY are in the Goldie Locks Zone because THEY live there...
Earth could be viewed as too cold.

I am certain that the inhabitants of Neptune feel that THEY are in the Goldie Locks Zone because THEY live there...
Earth could be viewed as too hot.

We will never progress as a society and expand our knowledge and acceptance of the universe as long as we remain undoubtedly ARROGANT= "Life can only exist where it has what WE have...blah blah blah".

Arrogant and Ignorant

I've been thinking the same thing too. How do they know that another species can't live off purely methane or hydrogen? They keep stating that water is the gateway to all life. Well if it's human then more than likely yes but I have to think that many species have the ability to adapt to it's environment.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

How do they know that another species can't live off purely methane or hydrogen?

they dont but they do know complex life & large animals can live off oxygen.

tell me this : if we detected a planet with a hydrogen atmosphere how would we know it had this hydrogen breathing life there? we wouldn't because we have no reference for that kind of life.

But if we detect an earth-size planet with a lot of oxygen in the atmopshere, the only way we know to produce oxygen is from plants & some microbes. So we have either discovered a planet with life or a planet that has a new way to produce oxygen continuesly without life. . Our bets would be on life in this scenario

this is the goal of future planet hunting telescopes. To detect earth-size planets with oxygen in the atmosphere. The holy grail Earth 2.0

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

How do they know that another species can't live off purely methane or hydrogen?

they dont but they do know complex life & large animals can live off oxygen.

tell me this : if we detected a planet with a hydrogen atmosphere how would we know it had this hydrogen breathing life there? we wouldn't because we have no reference for that kind of life.

But if we detect an earth-size planet with a lot of oxygen in the atmopshere, the only way we know to produce oxygen is from plants & some microbes. So we have either discovered a planet with life or a planet that has a new way to produce oxygen continuesly without life. . Our bets would be on life in this scenario

this is the goal of future planet hunting telescopes. To detect earth-size planets with oxygen in the atmosphere. The holy grail Earth 2.0

Your giving me some great answers. Thanks a lot bro.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join