It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super smart mice created by scientists...Oh no....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Is it just me, or does this whole deal seem like the plot to "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"?

Some scientist tried to cure Alzheimer's and ended up creating something that made the apes they were testing it on super smart.

Let us just hope our planet doesn't become over run with super mice.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

A mouse that knows exactly what to do to not get caught. Your point is clear.

Now all we need are super cats.
edit on 20-12-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I see a whole new market potential here

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

Okay... first off... Intelligence, or SMARTS, is not the same thing as being able to memorize things quickly.

Secondly, Why should mice that are able to memorize things quickly be dangerous?

At best, these scientists have found a way to improve human memory, and possibly something, something, something, Alzheimers.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

intelligence is being able to remember things...memory is everything. Some idiot created killer bees and those got loose, now some nut is gonna create super smart mice who will likely end up breaking themselves out.....

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Mr. Jingles gonna go to the fancy Mouse City in Tallahassee and be a circus mouse...unless Percy gets him first...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

intelligence is being able to remember things

This statement is what we, in both the Scientific and Literary communities, would classify as "Wrong"

It means the opposite of Correct.

MEMORY is the ability to remember things.... Intelligence is the ability to COMPREHEND things, use logic, see patterns, and solve problems.

So, you can see how they are not synonyms, yes?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Does a super memory make you smart? If you are a total blithering idiot and you take a drug to make you have a
super memory I guess you just learn that you are still a total blithering idiot but now you just can't forget that fact.

I am not sure what SMART actually means because it is subjective. Still I am sure the scientist just MUST know right?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by squizzy

Does a super memory make you smart?

No.

I am not sure what SMART actually means because it is subjective.

Something that you don't know, doesn't automatically become "Subjective"; it just means that you don't know it.

www.udel.edu...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I was actually trying to be smart. Maybe I should phrase my wording differently in the future to save any confusion. I must also rethink irony, sarcasm and stupidity.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

whatever....point is, being able to remember things quickly and retain that information will without a doubt make these mice smarter, how far that goes who can say, but it probably ain't good no matter what, and I'd hate for this to fall into the wrong human hands...oh man....

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

whatever

NO, there is no "Whatever" about it. You are bantering about words and terms that you do not understand, and are attempting to slap definitions onto words where they do not apply.

This is not a TRIVIAL matter, it is at the very CORE of the issues of both this topic, and the communication that we use to DISCUSS this topic.

point is, being able to remember things quickly and retain that information will without a doubt make these mice smarter

And that point is *WRONG*

I'm sorry, but it is just *WRONG*

Memory is not Intelligence... and Intelligence is not Memory.

These two terms, *AND THEIR MEANINGS* are not interchangeable in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Imagine just for a minute that you never forget anything that has ever happened in your life due to a super memory pill.
Every traumatic event that happened to you, every nasty comment ever said to you that really hurt you at the time. Then imagine trying to live with it all going on in your head for the rest of your life. Seems to me a really good way to screw people up for every good point there is the opposing bad and I think in this case the bad would be REALLY bad. Sometimes there are things that we need to forget to function properly as a decent member of society and it may also be a way of healing our minds to some extent.
I will remain my usual forgetful self thank you.
edit on 20/12/2011 by squizzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206

whatever....point is, being able to remember things quickly and retain that information will without a doubt make these mice smarter, how far that goes who can say, but it probably ain't good no matter what, and I'd hate for this to fall into the wrong human hands...oh man....

Dear liquidsmoke206,

First, it is good that you brought up this subject. Second, yes it goes beyond mice. Being able to remember things is to have a good memory. Many assume that because they can remember what they are taught that they are therefore smart. Intelligence is not just memory, though that is part of it, intelligence is the ability to work with those memories in order to make better decisions in the future. Clearly the mice in question were able to not just remember; but, to also use that information. The worst actions are taken by clever people because they have no wisdom. Wisdom is an understanding of more than just what will happen, it is the ability to use intelligence to learn moral lessons.

We should be no smarter than we have the wisdom needed to make sure that we don't use knowledge to take advantage of others. Someone can know everything in the world; but, without wisdom they will not know what the proper and best thing is to do. I would not like to see animals given such drugs nor humans. I trust neither with knowledge that they acquired too easily. It is in the pursuit of understanding and trial and error that we learn what is and is not the proper use of power.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jechu

We will get super smart?
I don't get what the problem is.

That's exactly the problem. Being intelligent obviously isn't enough to stop people from doing things that maybe we shouldn't be doing. Being smarter than we are isn't likely to help. People of greater than average intelligence also tend to develop a correspondingly large ego.

The smartest humans in modern history have created every bit of the most dangerous technology.
edit on 20-12-2011 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I don't believe it's the mice themselves that are a threat, rather the precedent in the creation of new uncontrollable abilities to enhance intelligence within lifeforms, ourselves included.

it's the reason we say things like "better safe than sorry"

no one is saying the mice will revolt to ultimately control the cheese domain, but they may become aware of it in an untimely nature.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

We spend trillions on deep black projects to find ever more efficient ways of killing people and nobody seems to worry. Neuroscientists work on ways of improving the length of our quality life and you think it's sinister?

We are finding more ways to lengthen our lives every day. The trouble is our brains don't last long enough. Look at it (my avatar), it's a beautiful thing when it works. One of the most incredible things on Earth. Unfortunately to have a longer quality life we have to work out how to make it last. Alzheimer's and even normal old age can be a nasty thing....

Divert some of the money used to research ways to kill people and fund neurological research. Your own mind may depend on it.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
If the pill makes people smarter, we'll find out soon by observing the scientists involved. Since they as intellectuals hold intellect at high value, they simply won't be able to resist testing it on themselves.

edit on 21-12-2011 by Dbriefed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I "just" watched "Rise Of The Planet Of the Apes"

So yeah.......... humans need to be careful what they play around with.
edit on 21-12-2011 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vortiki
Is it just me, or does this whole deal seem like the plot to "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"?

Some scientist tried to cure Alzheimer's and ended up creating something that made the apes they were testing it on super smart.

Let us just hope our planet doesn't become over run with super mice.

Not only that, but their experiments accidently created a virus that kills humans (the apes had stronger immune systems), and the end of the movie suggested that it spread all over the world, meaning humans go extinct and Apes take over the world.
edit on 21-12-2011 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join