It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super smart mice created by scientists...Oh no....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
So while trying to cure Alzheimer's, which they may have done, these crazy scientists created mice with super memories. Straight out of Secret of Nimh, or Pinky and the Brain.

from the article

When the researchers tested the PKR-deficient mice in a series of memory tests, those mice were able to pick up on patterns and remember them on the first try, while the other mice needed days to figure out how to solve the puzzle. The PKR-deficient mice consistently showed significantly better memory and learning abilities than their counterparts.

Am I the only one who sees this as a very dangerous thing?

Super smart mice can't possible be a good thing. And that's only the tip of the iceberg, what happens when humans start taking it?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
These mice are literally learning things in one try that takes DAYS for a normal mouse!!!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

We will get super smart?
I don't get what the problem is.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It becomes a problem when corporations can have these mice replace workers.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
May I be first to say I welcome my new mice masters and offer them a great larder of cheese

But back OT heck why not? as long as they don't graft an opposable thumb I reckon there is a lot to learn here, reminds me of the film Limitless if they start giving humans the same stuff.
As long as everyone has access to the drug (If safe) and not just the rich I think it would be good for humanity.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
LOL what do you think is going to happen? Mice are going to rise up and try to destroy humans?
Its not like mice are actually the smartest species on the planet and all this time we were testing on them they were actually testing on us.

Fact is we don't have a clue what the effects or side-effects would be on humans. What wrong with more memory and faster learning abilities in humans,with minor side-effects?

edit on 20-12-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I, for one, welcome our new mice overlords

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I can't resist...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jechu

Some of us might get super smart....

How can you not see the problem with a drug that makes people super smart...do you really think it's gonna get doled out and then we'll just be living in a magical utopia of geniuses? This could end up being a nightmare.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Hang on a sec, weren't smart mice involved in the distruction of Earth in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy??

o.O

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Could you imagine the issues with sanitation and mice population if mice were super hard to catch???
And what's this idea of humans all getting smart pills and improving our lives....apparently you forgot you're on a conspiracy theory website....so you can check that lunatic argument at the door please. This will be bad bad bad.....

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

They use human genetic material, soon they will have (if not already) little human brains.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
reply to post by Jechu

Some of us might get super smart....

How can you not see the problem with a drug that makes people super smart...do you really think it's gonna get doled out and then we'll just be living in a magical utopia of geniuses? This could end up being a nightmare.

Imagine society when everyone thinks they are smarter than you and they actually ARE, as opposed to now, where everyone just thinks they are smarter than everyone else.

Chaos.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Sounds like a real life "Flowers for Algernon!"
Life imitating art?

We had better get the guys up at MIT to start working on that "Better Mousetrap" ASAP!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

S&F
Ok don't you think this is strikingly simular to Rise of the Planet of the Apes? And look what happend there
But if it cures brain deseases..why not.
edit on 20-12-2011 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
hi op

can anyone remember wen they were growing human ears on a mouse
if i or someone else finds the source plz post
i will search now

heres a source
news.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 10/25/2011 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan

It is!! That was exactly my first thought! It's actually exactly Flowers For Algernon. With hopefully a different ending. That situation didn't pan out so well for Charlie

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladykenzie

Originally posted by tvtexan

With hopefully a different ending. That situation didn't pan out so well for Charlie

Now I can't watch that movie without thinking something horrible's gonna happen to Charlie!

That's just great!

[back on topic]

I'm diggin' this idea! I'd love to grow smarter! If it were to enable us to come up with creative ways to end all negativity and be a better species as a result... sign me up!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
LOL what do you think is going to happen? Mice are going to rise up and try to destroy humans?

Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Universe it was the Mice that ruled...

the title is taken from Robert Burns' poem "To a Mouse", which read: "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley." (The best laid schemes of mice and men / Go oft awry.)

Scientists Make Mice Immune to Radiation
www.dotmed.com...

The Mad Scientists will kill us all

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

You think Robots and AI are just going to keep getting smarter as humans stay the same?

Dude man you need to understand that things change and don't stay the same.

We're a long, long ways from engineering smart people, though.

We're a long ways from AI that's smarter and less costly than people too.

In the meantime, you need to upgrade your awareness. You sound like an old man.
edit on 20-12-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join