It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we are animals...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Then why is it we can not eat all meats raw like tigers can?

Anyone know why we humans need to cook meats?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
We can eat raw meats, our stomachs are different than that of tigers. Tigers are carnivores so their stomachs are made for meat alone, humans are omnivores so our stomachs are made for both meats and greens.

It's easier to digest cooked meats because the cooking process breaks the food down some.
edit on 20-12-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Because we've been eating it cooked for so long that our system can't handle raw anymore. The more you clean your body and use soap and shampoo, the weaker your body becomes at fighting bacterias. I think it's the same principle.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

We do not have the stomach acids to effectively digest it.

On the other hand, I think in extreme circumstances we could get away with it. Personally, I think if one were to come across an animal and kill it, then if the person immediately ate it they would be ok. Cooking is mainly to kill unwanted bacteria. There are also indications that our appendix played more of a role back in the day than it does now.
edit on 20-12-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarJohn

You can eat meat raw - there's sashimi (raw fish meat) but the salt water is the thing that keeps the bacteria to a minimum.

Bacteria thrive and multiply between 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit (4 and 60 degrees Celsius). That's why you should cook meat until the internal temperature measures at least 150 degrees Fahrenheit (65 degrees Celsius) to effectively break down the bacteria cells and prevent them from reproducing

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
So what do you suggest we are...if we arent animals??

There are plenty of people around the world that eat raw meat. Maybe not so much in the west, ever heard of palma ham? Is raw bacon in other words.

Our immune systems have been suppressed over time, but you and i can both eat raw red meat with no problems. Rare steak is an example...its warmed up meat, not cooked.
edit on 20-12-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
reply to post by WarJohn

We do not have the stomach acids to effectively digest it.

On the other hand, I think in extreme circumstances we could get away with it. Personally, I think if one were to come across an animal and kill it, then if the person immediately ate it they would be ok. Cooking is mainly to kill unwanted bacteria. There are also indications that our appendix played more of a role back in the day than it does now.
edit on 20-12-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

It has nothing to do with stomach acid, meat has to be cooked to at least 150 to kill the bacteria. Salt water fish is ok because the salt water kills the bacteria.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarJohn

we can eat steak raw i doo it all the time. smash it really thin its nice, in fact most meats we can eat raw pork is a bit dogey, the only reason we cook it is becuase:

1. scientist reccon that one of the reasons we gained intelligence is becuase we started cooking food (yeah i know sounds weird but true) we used to have bigger brains and bigger stomachs but when we started cooking food around the 100,000 year ago mark are brains started to shrink as so did our stomachs and it is around that time we started to get the intelligence that we display in socity today.

2. we also HAVE to cook food becuase we dont know where it been TBH if we kill a chicken or pig or cow and we know fro a fack no of them are desissed then we can eat it raw, it just becuase meats go through so many people ahnds and processing plants we dont know what it has picked up or if the animal was ill at the time of salughter.
edit on 20-12-2011 by definity because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2011 by definity because: spelling

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a) we are not obligate carnivores (felines are for example-who require taurine from organs- are they also have very short small intestine compared to humans*), humans may have benefited from meat protein(homo sapien larger brains), our system is not fully designed for raw meat as we are omnivorous
b) our digestive track has changed due to non hunter /gather diets and cooking fire over the years, another example of change would be domestic canines who ate table scraps before dog food came into industry.
*site has more info on comparrison
edit on 20-12-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join