It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BEWARE! The 'Dictator Magnus': What does America really want?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

You say that.... but what language are you speaking right now?

Anywho. You have to admit though that the US does use its position for unpopular things with alarming regularity.
Recognition of a Palestinian state - Vetoed by US
Climate control treaties - Vetoed by US
Iraq war - organised and largely carried out by the US.
(And they do use more of the worlds resources per head than any other nation...)

You can't level these complaints against Lichtenstein

I guess it just comes down to the size really though, the US is to big and to powerful not to foster resentment, and this is only heightened when the US throws its weight around on the world stage.
edit on 20-12-2011 by MaxSteiner because: rewording

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Well, me personally as an American, I just try to get by and live my life. So no, I don't think of myself as better then anyone. I imagine there are prolly a few people around the world doing the same as me, just trying to get by, day by day.

As far as the rest of the world goes, I would love for our government to get all its little fingers outta everyone else's pies. Our infastructure is crumbling around us, but the leaders can't seem to see this. They are too busy out there trying to prevent attacks that havent even been threatened yet.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

Originally posted by Nephalim

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

Originally posted by Nephalim
Id rather the world focused on its own problems instead of blaming us for everything under the sun. Starting with people on ats.

edit on 20-12-2011 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

Isn't that kind of ironic? How can the world focus on it's own problems when the US (et al) is jumping all over them?

How can we not focus on everyone else if no one will let us be?

I don't understand. Who is not letting you be? I'm not trying to be clever, I genuinely want to know how you feel. Can you expand?

You just pay real close attention to the replies in this thread and you'll get all the explanation you'll ever need.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I find a bit of humor in your post, since the British are ALWAYS standing beside us, no matter where we are in the world, or why we may be there.

I don't like the fact that we end up being the world's police, when it comes to any dealings with the UN.
I don't like the fact that we spend hundreds of billions of dollars every year, just giving our money to other countries around the world.
I REALLY hate the fact that when there is a problem in another country, that the US is the first to be called on for any type of assistance, be it financial, military or other resources. As well as the fact that our soldiers are put in harms way and sometimes killed in service to others.
I don't like the fact that we always give money/services around the world, but we never get anything in return.
I'm tired of the fact that we forgive debts to the US rather than collect.

I would be very happy if we started putting our money and resources in to our own country, and just sit on the sidelines for a while and watch the world move on in what ever direction that it is going to go.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

But shouldn't you always be aware of the distinction between citizens and a nation? People shooting the # on an internet forum isn't really representative of the country as a whole.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Submarines

Do you know the US doesn't pays its UN dues unless they follow the party line? (And still owes LOADS even when they do)
en.wikipedia.org...

and owes way more money than it has ever lent out?
www.bbc.co.uk...

I only ask because I see comments like that alot and always thought this was common knowledge.
edit on 20-12-2011 by MaxSteiner because: adding BBC source

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaxSteiner

You say that.... but what language are you speaking right now?

Anywho. You have to admit though that the US does use its position for unpopular things with alarming regularity.
Recognition of a Palestinian state - Vetoed by US
Climate control treaties - Vetoed by US
Iraq war - organised and largely carried out by the US.
(And they do use more of the worlds resources per head than any other nation...)

You can't level these complaints against Lichtenstein

I guess it just comes down to the size really though, the US is to big and to powerful not to foster resentment, and this is only heightened when the US throws its weight around on the world stage.
edit on 20-12-2011 by MaxSteiner because: rewording

I have no idea what point you are trying to make but I think you're forgetting that the US throws it's money around as well when other countries are in crisis.

Palestinians and Isrealis will never be at peace unless they are in direct communication. recognizing Palestine as a state will not bring peace.

The Kyoto treaty is a joke, most countries that signed it never ratified it and never intended to abide by it.

You guys followed us right into the Iraqi war.... who is more foolish? the fool or the one who follows him?

And no... We don't use more energy per capita than any other country. the UAE claims that title... in fact... Canada uses more energy per capita than the US.

But you're right about one thing... my country is resented all over the world... even by folks in countries that should know better... which includes yours.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Didn't say energy, I said resources: en.wikipedia.org...

And those were 3 of MANY situations.

I was agreeing with you to be honest, but it looks like you have a VERY LARGE chip on your shoulder which interprets any slight against the US as one against you...

(I think thats something alot of people from other countries don't get, the US has to be one of the nationalistic developed nations out there, most brits couldn't care less about what you say about the UK
)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxSteiner

Really? You are using "facts" from Wiki?

Your data may be alittle flawed, since our fiscal year and the fiscal year for the UN differ, and we have to wait for appropriations, that is where some of the arrearages come from. You may also be suprised that in fiscal year 2010, we are paid up and in good standing with any arrearages that we may have had. Oh yes, we also paid interest.

The US is assessed yearly with payment of 25 percent of the UN's regular budget, and 27 percent of the UN's peace keeping budget, and does NOT count the additional funds that we voluntarilly donate for aid, support and other activities to the UN.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

That's right... if you can't support what you say or you disagree with a dissenting point of view than by all means... attack the messenger. There's no chip on my shoulder... I just like to stir things up a bit....

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 20-12-2011 by MaxSteiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Wasn't just directed at you, but against all Americans that go all flag wavy when someone says something anti US, I'm just trying to understand that mindset.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Right, so the age old problem rears its ugly head. I've provided sources, you've provided NONE, but rather than do any research, you moan about it being Wikipedia (despite the fact that it lists proper sources). Do you see how that could be construed as a little lame?

(Did you bother looking at the who owes who chart?)

The UN Dues are based on your nations GDP. The US is the country with the largest GDP,l hence their dues are the largest. Paying slightly less than your proportional dues isn't something to be proud of.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

www.betterworldcampaign.org...

I was going to do it in an edit....

Also this information can be found on congress website.

But the UN website that I posted is fine for you to check with.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Is there going to be a ww3 if we do not pay the world not to kill each other?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
As a UK member of ATS , I value all feedback from all members around the globe , this statistic puzzles me,

The current U.S.A. population is over 311 million people ,

unemployment level 13.3 million.

The population of the United Kingdom is approximately 61,113,205.

unemployment level 2.64 million

Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer , even I can see that owing to size of both countries , these figures seem out of context , granted I don't believe the figures we are given by the UK government , but that applies on both sides of the pond , that the figures are higher.

311 million = 13 million

61 million = 2.64 million

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

www.reuters.com...

From this year, congress is looking to return to holding back UN dues to force them to toe the US line

And another source from this year:lccmw.com...

When you're the richest country its easy to say "oh we pay the most", but if you're extracting all you can from the UN for paying your alloted share I wouldn't really be all that proud of it.

(Still I was unaware that the US had paid off so much of its dues recently, Obama did something right after all
)
edit on 20-12-2011 by MaxSteiner because: sources

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Hahah good question
I know the UK can't actually deploy all its troops anymore without US support, and I bet thats true for alot of NATO members. I guess the other side don't need to transport troops though since they're the ones who will be attacked

Personally I think WW3 has been going on for years. At least 10 years, probably much longer. All the recent 'Police actions' Nato have been engaged in are nothing more than land grabs for the few untouched resource left on the planet. We're basically stripping as much of Russia's satellite resource base as we can while they can't put up much defense.

Due to the wonders of Globablisation a country doesn't have to occupy somewhere to strip its assets, just place down a few multinationals

I think there's always a perception, whether its true or not, that it's only really US companies which profit from all of this, but I'm not even sure your country gets all that much out it these days since large companies pay as little tax as they can get away with.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I would actually love to see us out of the UN altogether.

It has turned pretty much into a joke.

But back to your point, that was in February of this year, we have made our dues payment.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Droidinvoid

Interestingly, that works out as about 4% unemployment for both countries

You're right about not trusting government figures though, New deal isn't counted toward that, or any of the other make work schemes we carry out. They don't include people not working who aren't in receipt of Jobseekers, or the disabled etc, and as far as I recall, when they sublet you to a private company (I think they only do this to the long term unemployed), you don't count as unemployed either!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join