It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birmingham Airport: Man Arrested On Terrorism Offence

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Birmingham Airport: Man Arrested On Terrorism Offence

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk

A 22-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of a terrorism offence at Birmingham International Airport, West Midlands Police have said.

The man was questioned by police on Monday evening "on suspicion of being in possession of a document likely to be of use to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism", police said.

The man is on student visa, studying in the UK. It was reported that the man was a Pakistani national.

He was questioned by officers from the West Midlands Counter
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.ninemsn.com.au
edit on 20-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Tis the holiday season. Is this the real deal or another Patsy like the Underwear Bomber a couple years back? Personally, the details are too slim for me to base an opinion.

UK airports are already hectic as it is, the last thing they need is a raised terror level. The man is a Pakistani national. I wonder what these terror documents that they found are supposed to be.

This might be the reason they've been waiting for to invade Pakistan to change the regime.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Not much info out there, but this line sent shivers up my spine, as we are all now considered terrorists.

on suspicion of being in possession of a document likely to be of use to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism

What would such a document be, how can it be defined, and how do they identify a person likely to be committing an act of terrorism? This wreaks.

I am all for profiling, but this description is so vague. What if he is an architectural student, and he has plans for the Washington Monument? What if he is a chemistry student and he has formulae for common compounds like TNT, or Hydrogen Sulfide?

By this singular sentence, I think any one of us could be arrested on the same suspicions at any time, and then held indefinitely. The country has gone insane. It is the government doing it, but we are all guilty of allowing them to continue it. "Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither" ring any bells?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Ahh.. The good old annual holiday "terrorist" scare.. Quite predictable and right on schedule...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I try to remain focused on the available "facts" on this type of story, but as you mentioned this already smells fishy. It's vague, the "documents" are probably something innocent like school papers you mentioned. This will. E an interesting story to watch unfold.

BTW, it sounds like you may have it confused with Birmingham, Alabama. The incident took place in Birmingham, England.
edit on 20-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

These days, an AA road map and a Satnav with "points of interest" stored would be enough for detention under terrorism laws, for anyone (not white) to have in their possession.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Pakistan... The real home base of radical islamic terrorism.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

BTW, it sounds like you may have it confused with Birmingham, Alabama. The incident took place in Birmingham, England.

Whoops!
You're right. But, I suppose it doesn't matter much, the rights of citizens in the UK are about as dead as the ones in the US. Our governments are equally paranoid and oppressive.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Whoops!

I don't know about you, but these guys really do look like terrorists...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

on suspicion of being in possession of a document likely to be of use to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Ahh.. The good old annual holiday "terrorist" scare.. Quite predictable and right on schedule...

I think there's a bit of over-reaction here. If this was a terrorist scare it would be more widely reported with more details. The guy’s only be detained on suspicion and not arrested.

The documents in question could be anything, but if they have resulted in such a reaction you could assume they are not Cosmopolitan or books to help his study (on a student VISA).

Regards

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Lol, whatever next! A document? Hmm, maybe it was to block up the toilet while in flight and cause a flood on board rofl.

No doubt he was an MI6 plant.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Sadly this isn't the first time that someone has been charged with terrorism for having a document.
There was a 14 year old charged a few years back with the same thing for downloading a PDF! it was over turned on appeal a year later though.

It boggles the mind to be honest, in the early 90's I'd imagine every kid with access to a modem ended up downloading the anarchist cookbook. These days thats enough for you to be branded a terrorist!
(Absolute bull# in my opinion)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Jebus, we're afraid of pieces of paper now?

Sad state of affairs indeed.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Nearly every single 'terrorist' plot that has been exposed by the UK Security Services has been vindicated.
And they all involved 'home-grown' terrorists of Pakistani origin or who had received training in Pakistan and had close links to Pakistan based terrorist groups.

The Midlands is home to a large population of people from Pakistan and has produced several 'home-grown' terrorists in the past.
I suspect the authorities would have had just cause to apprehend this individual.

If they were wrong, then I trust the 'innocent' person will be released.
I would rather they err on the side of caution rather than risk the death of even one innocent.

Alas, the balance between maintaining civil liberties and monitoring suspected terrorists can be very fine indeed.

Maybe if they stopped threatening to bomb us for every imagined insult to Islam and Mohammed etc we'd be able relax security operations.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

And maybe if we stopped drawing up new borders and propping up military dictatorships (like, Oh maybe... Pakistan) they wouldn't want to blow us up?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Have they just worded the article stupidly?

How can you be under suspicion of possessing a document etc etc - he was either in possession of the document or he wasn't.How hard could that be to determine?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Lol you want to know what I say, if they want to make it easier for us to blow themselves up go ahead. They kill more of their own people in these attacks then our (U.S, NATO) troops. Thin the heard by their own hand. It's not even a war anymore...Game over!

-SAP-
edit on 20-12-2011 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxSteiner

Pakistan deserves no-ones sympathy.
It has been playing one side off against the other since independance.

Pakistan has had long enough to put it's own house in order, that it hasn't is down to them and them alone.

But it's oh so easy to blame the UK or US instead of accepting some responsibility themselves.....and of course all the apologists, self-haters and PC brigade are so quick to jump on the bandwagon instead of accepting the truth that religious fanaticism and intolerance in conjunction with cultural and tribal differences and inherent corruption are the primary reasons for the whole areas problems.

And none of that excuses the murdering of innocents here in the UK.

I hope you never experience what it is like for a loved one to hurt in one of their cowardly attacks.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I'm not going to start blaming Pakistan for this until we verify that this isn't another patsy like the underwear bomber. The facts will begin to come out and than we can tell if they pass our BS meter. This could very well be a legitimate threat that they foiled, but it could just as easily be another set up/FF/patsy type incident.

I know some members get frustrated when other members throw around the FF possibility, but in this day and age it should always be a consideration. We should never jump to conclusions and we must remain patient before we criticize any possible theories.

For all we know this was an Iranian plot

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join