It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take Charles Tart’s The Western Creed test.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Read the following:

The Western Creed
© by Charles T. Tart

I believe in the material universe as the only and ultimate reality, a universe controlled by fixed physical laws and blind chance.

I affirm that the universe has no creator, no objective purpose, and no objective meaning or destiny.

I maintain that all ideas about God or gods, supernatural beings, prophets and saviors, or other nonphysical beings or forces are superstitions and delusions. Life and consciousness are totally identical to physical processes, and arose from chance interactions of blind physical forces. Like the rest of life, my life and consciousness have no objective purpose, meaning, or destiny.

I believe that all judgements, values, and moralities, whether my own or others', are subjective, arising solely from biological determinants, personal history, and chance. Free will is an illusion. Therefore, the most rational values I can personally live by must be based on the knowledge that for me what pleases me is Good, what pains me is Bad. Those who please me or help me avoid pain are my friends; those who pain me or keep me from my pleasures are my enemies. Rationality requires that friends and enemies be used in ways that maximize my pleasure and minimize my pain.

I affirm that churches have no real use other than social support; that there are no objective sins to commit or be forgiven for; that there is no retribution for sin or reward for virtue other than that which I can arrange, directly or through others. Virtue for me is getting what I want without being caught and punished by others.

I maintain that the death of the body is the death of the mind. There is no afterlife, and all hope for such is nonsense.

So. How did that make you feel? It made me feel sad because I didnt want it to be true. Something in my heart says that it is not true. My experiences tell me that it is not the full truth about things. How do you feel?

edit on 20-12-2011 by mandroids because: missing information added.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Thought a few more would try this.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It's a very saddening thought, I really don't believe that it could be true. Something inside me screams otherwise.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I maintain that the death of the body is the death of the mind. There is no afterlife, and all hope for such is nonsense.

I think the afterlife resides in the ever changing universe.

No, we as individuals will not carry on - our egos will die, but we will return to the "great consciousness" which is basically the "cosmic soup" of possibilities, to rise once again and have new experiences in another form.

Never-ending change is the only true Law in my estimation.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It just doesnt seem right, does it? there is something distant and wrong about it.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I believe....good one OP...

Putting the polar opposite up to sensitize the masses....I'm on to you! LOL!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
As I was reading that statement, I got a very strong sense of, "This is wrong, all wrong."

I kind of felt a suffocating, claustrophobic feeling... I don't like the idea of being so close-minded. It bothers me.

Needless to say, that creed does not reflect my personal philosophy.

I feel sad that there are people who believe this way, that everything is governed by absolutes, that there are no mysteries. All I have to do is look at a tree or a flower or a rock or the night sky to see that everything is a mystery... and I know nothing.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I am glad that most of you liked it. curious how only a few brave sould attempted it, eh?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Just messaging to boost interest.
its worth a try taking the Creed test.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Nice test! Definitely makes one feel sad and a little lonely thinking about a world in that way.

By the way Charles Tart is an amazing teacher/writer/researcher! I know him personally.His book The End of Materialism: How Evidence of the Paranormal is Bringing Science and Spirit Together would be a great read for many people on ATS!

edit on 21-12-2011 by Thermo Klein because: provided complete book title

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Thank you for replying. do tell,what is he like? yes, its a harsh read the Creed.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Energy doesn't 'die', it transfer's into other form's of energy I believe. If the words are not something you feel inside yourself, than you don't believe in it either. Whatever you project on the outside is just a mask.

Maybe I mis-interpreted the meaning of this post.
edit on 21-12-2011 by Phayte because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Maybe I mis-interpreted the meaning of this post.
edit on 21-12-2011 by Phayte because: (no reason given)

No,not at all. if that was your first thought after reading it, then its right for you to say so.

top topics

join