It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shell spills 13000 gallons of driling fluid in the gulf of mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
The gulf taking damage yet again.

Drilling fluids spill from Shell site in Gulf of Mexico

More than 13,000 gallons of drilling fluids — including about 7,500 gallons of synthetic materials — leaked from equipment at Shell’s Appomattox prospect into the Gulf of Mexico on Sunday.

The leak was discovered Sunday morning at the site 72 miles off the coast of Louisiana, where Shell is drilling a side track well in more than 7,000 feet of water.

The incident was reported to the National Response Center, which tracks oil sightings and discharges in water. Both Shell and federal officials said drilling was halted and the leak was quickly stopped.

Shell said 319 barrels — or 13,398 gallons — of drilling fluid escaped from a booster line, which supplies drilling liquids and is separate from the wellbore itself. According to the National Response Center report, that fluid included 180.2 barrels — or 7,568 gallons — of base “oil,” a likely reference to the synthetic material in the oil-based drilling mud.

Hopefully they clean it up as fast as possible.
edit on 20-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I wonder how much sea life needs to die before Oil Monguls get their sh*t together.
There needs to be a total overhaul of preventative mesures on these rigs. Millions of dollars in fines isnt going to bring back a dying ecosystem.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
What Again ?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoffeeMonster
I wonder how much sea life needs to die before Oil Monguls get their sh*t together.
There needs to be a total overhaul of preventative mesures on these rigs. Millions of dollars in fines isnt going to bring back a dying ecosystem.

I wonder how many more Indians need to die before the yanks pull their heads from their asses, stop being so disgustingly self concerned, and realise that what your companies done to Bhopal was worse on an entirely different level in comparison to getting your shorelines a bit dirty.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Hopefully they clean it up as fast as possible.
edit on 20-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Yes, clean it up fast but don't stop there. This coupled with the PB year of Hell is reason why all drilling in the gulf should be stopped.

How many more little spills are we going to look the other way on?

Why are people not in a mighty uproar over this?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Here's the reason that I'm not in a mighty uproar about it. The article says that 7,600 gallons of bio-degradeable synthetic mud leaked from a line. The spill is small, not dangerous, not part of the well itself, and has been stopped.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Hey Charles, What are the odds that the people saying this are the same people that told us the last spill was only x amount a day which then turned out to be 100x that? Honest question, not a statement.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ludshed

Dear ludshed,

Excellent question, thanks. And you're quite right, it could be much, much worse.

But now I have to turn to you for some advice. All I have to go on is the article. How should I handle that? Basically, I'm asking how to read the news. If it's bad news about the US should I just assume its much worse? If I do that, what do I say when people ask for my source?

I thought the right way to go was to accept the article until further news came out, but I could be wrong.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Why aren't folks upset at China and Russia?

This is the face of Russia's oil country, a sprawling, inhospitable zone that experts say represents the world's worst ecological oil catastrophe. Environmentalists estimate at least 1 percent of Russia's annual oil production, or 5 million tons, is spilled every year. That is equivalent to one Deepwater Horizon-scale leak about every two months. Crumbling infrastructure and a harsh climate combine to spell disaster in the world's largest oil producer, responsible for 13 percent of global output.

source: www.newsobserver.com...

I guess they don't matter in the grand scheme.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

c'mon....who cares...they'll pay a fine, and it's back to business as usual

top topics

join