It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hardships During the Holidays(Advice and Stories Thread)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

First off Happy Holidays to everyone at ATS!

Feel free to share your stories and advice to others.

The idea similar to the MSM Net News site:
Down but not out for the holidays?:: For Yahoo’s jobless readers, season poses a challenge.

While the Holidays for my husband and are not as bad off this year, we have a few challenges to overcome. I've been busy with dealing with the stuff, but have injured myself so am taking a bit of a break. I am happy to have caring friends and family, and all they are doing this time of year, while returning the favor as well. Unfortunately some of my friends are suffering from the economic issues as well as many people, especially the children this year who are homeless( Child Homelessness Climbs 33 Percent: 10 States With Highest Rates (SLIDESHOW) ).

Twenty-Eleven has been an eventful and rough year, wishing the best to all.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Check this out...

In the last 2 weeks...

in my circle of friends and family this has happened...

*One of My Cousins just found out her cancer returned
*Another one of my Cousins lost her step brother... He has shot... the gunman then shot himself
*A Friend of mine attempted suicide, it was successful -Thank God!
*My uncle's mother law was buried on Monday
*One of my cousin's kids has a strange lump in her arm pit, Doctors are unsure of its nature at the moment
*My Wife's Aunt blew a knee and had to have surgery

*My Mom has to have Open Heart, bypass Surgery in the next week or 2 weeks...
*In just a few hours I gotta take my mom to the doctor to get her knee check out...

*My only source of income has been delayed until after Jan 1st... No Christmas Presents this year!

And My car insurance DOUBLED yesterday out of no where!

Also.... Earlier in the Year...

*My sister miscarried for the 2nd time... She wants kids so bad!
*Another one of my Cousin's had Twins... boy and a girl tragically the boy died within a few days of birth

and many more depressing things of that nature...

So its been a rough year and a rough December around here...

BUT, I have a gut full of food,
a warm home to live in and the smiles of my family...

Something many do not have, I am very fortunate!

You just push forward and see the good things
you cant let the bad drag ya down...

Trust me, I got a lot of chains around my neck right now...
But its gonna take more than that to kill my Christmas Spirit!
and my will to make it

Life is never easy...
and it can suck
But its how you handle the bad things that come along
that determines the quality of living.

Cos trust me... there is someone out there who is having it 1000 times worse...

I may not have a penny to my name,
But I am not homeless or starving...

Too many people tonight are.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

And dreamingawake I wish you a speedily recovery!

edit on 12/20/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I have learned not to get sucked in - remember it's ONE DAY AND ONE MAIN MEAL enjoy it but it will all be gone in 24hours unless you want to drag it out.

It's all about the kids - help them to enjoy it but try to teach them the whole year round that life is not all about material things.

How many people actually remember what they got last year and who they got it off.

They say it's the thought that counts but even the smallest gift costs money and it all adds up.

No I don't get sucked in anymore - yes I could afford to spend a lot more but I'm not daft - and the word scrooge is just a word they use to get you to spend more.

We all spend money all year round in the same stores and help keep them in business - what do they give us at Christmas?

As for Xmas Cards - well the internet is perfect for wishing everyone a Merry Xmas.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Excellent post dude, in the end I always tell everyone you'd be surprised how much of a difference it will make if we just lived life with a smile on our faces! It's great that you are doing well my friend, everyone nowadays really need to be thankful for their health. It is horrible in that we live in a society that is governed by greedy people who also make other humans suffer.

My dad recently lost his job and things aren't so well at home, but we're just grateful that there is food on the table. I hope all is well with everyone, and everyone has a safe and happy holidays!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Hopefully 2012 will be a good year because 2011 was horrible and tough year for so many people! Hopefully you feel better!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

That's a lot to take in all at once for you must be overwhelming, funny how when it rains it pours when it comes to events.. Hang in there!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I don't enjoy Christmas or the pressure put on people to enjoy themselves at great expense, but I do enjoy this time of year.

I'm lucky that, in the country, it's a very beautiful season and I've found walking and observing the animals and scenery very uplifting.

The other day, quite late in the afternoon I passed a field full of sheep who looked so beautiful against the stark, wintry landscape with the sun setting behind them. I don't know what it is about sheep at sunset, but it's something I love to see.

Last week, we had snow in the early evening and I couldn't resist going out to walk in it. It was a clear night and I could see so many hundreds or thousands of stars sparkling through the bare branches of the trees - and everything quiet in the way it can only be quiet after snow.

All of this beauty was available at absolutely no cost - all I had to do was wrap up and go outside. Even in cities there are parks which would be well worth a visit at this time of year. Maybe take some bread and nuts to feed the (very grateful) birds and squirrels. I used to do that often in the city.

The trees and bushes, at this time of year, smell wonderful and maybe a small amount of holly could be collected for Christmas decorations. Pine cones and berries are abundant too and could be made into table decorations.

I often walk past houses with smoke pouring from the chimneys and take a few deep breaths just to enjoy the aroma - I love wood smoke.

Anyway, those are some of the joys of the season for me. I've got a couple of problems I don't want to share but life becomes so much easier to bear when I can get out and just enjoy the world around me.

My sunset wasn't quite as spectacular as this - but don't the sheep look beautiful and so peaceful?

edit on 20-12-2011 by berenike because: edit to add photo

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing, I enjoy the calming affect of a sunset, esp. a gradient one. The picture really reminds me of the country-side around where I live.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

If I stopped and let it... yeah It would overwhelm me

But key is to accept small victories and any victory you can

Forget the bad and just push forward.

Good News: My moms knee was fine, it was just stress on her leg from a Heart Cath from 2 weeks ago... So it wasnt a blood clot... thumbs up!

and... Coffee... a nice hot cup of delicious coffee and a cigarette... take the small victories

I've had trial after trial, if life were easy for me... then that would be the shock lol

reply to post by Unvarnished

I'm sorry your Dad lost his job, that is rough and makes it hard... especially this time of year!
But like you said my friend... you got food on the table and really thats what life is...

My Father grew up in a very very extremely rural area of Kentucky...

He was born in 1946, for the area he was born... It might as well been 1846!

I've listened to his stories and his past experiences all my life.

No electricity, No Money really...

As far as food... If you didnt grow it or raise it... you didnt get it

And if you were lucky you could sell a pig and get money for shoes and etc...

No phone... no TV... they didnt even Have a battery powered radio...

He grew up hard and rough...

He was tending the fields when he was 5 years old.

They spent their entire year preparing for the Winter...

Thats what their life was about... Food...

So in the end if you have food to eat... Then thats what its all about

I take my fathers example and I know... I can say...

Damn I got it made

new topics

top topics

join