It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to prosecute the US over Drone

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Iran to prosecute the US over Drone

ca.news.yahoo.com

Iran to file suit against U.S. over drone
10 hours ago - Reuters 1:20 | 1,719 views
Iran's Foreign Minister Salehi says the Islamic state will seek to prosecute the U.S., following the discovery of a drone in its airspace. Deborah Lutterbeck reports
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
What's next?...

Atleast they are taking political route. The U.S, I'm sure, would have pronounced it an act of war against NATO and launched at offensive at their air-bases.

They are sending a letter to the UN, which is I'm sure is where it will start and end. They have proof, and US admits it... but in all honestly, what can the UN do? Have sanctions put against it?

I will keep this thread up to date with all developments.

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
First of all, Iran will not prosecute the United States. Maybe you meant to say "protest." The only hope Iran has is a UN condemnation of US spying. I doubt they'll even get that after being recently criticized by the UN over it's nuclear program, alleged involvement in the assassination plot against the Saudi Ambassador and human rights concerns.
edit on 19-12-2011 by yamother44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Hmm this just reminded of those supposed documents that Iran had against the US.

What happened to those?

And I also wonder about the double standards here since Iran are developing/have developed their own stealth drone.

Why have a stealth drone if you don't plan on using it?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

This is a very interesting development. Of all the ways Iran could have responded to such a blatant and proven violation of their airspace by a country they know for certain, they chose this. Well, I tip my hat to Tehran for this one. It may be my only time doing it, but I don't have to like Iran to acknowledge it when they do something really classy while faced with easier and more confrontational options.

This will also be interesting to watch at the UN. If the UN doesn't act and act decisively, there is a whole world they'll have to explain that lack of action to in the face of undisputed proof and clear evidence of the violation. If they DO act, they'll be on our crap list for quite awhile over it. I can't say I feel bad for the UN one bit...and if anything, that paradox Iran will put the UN in just makes me tip my hat that much further in respect for their approach on this one.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It is highly unlikely the UN would ever take action against the United States, being one of the five permanent members with veto power. The complaint holds more propaganda value than anything else.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I hope all these events aren't the build up to a clusterf*ck year of 2012... Iran and US need to meet up for a choof, maybe watch a movie together, and just CHILL OUT.

A man can dream, can't he?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Iran is attempting to be the grown up using legal means to back off the UN and NATO in agreeing with the US to bomb them into extinction. Obama and Congress are acting like a pack of rabid dogs wanting to kill anyone and everyone. They are attacking and don't really care who the victims are as long as at the end of the day a lot of people are dead. Look at the laws they are passing against the American people. If they can't kill overseas lets start a war on our own citizens. Somebody got to die. There is little doubt they for what ever the reason have all totally lost their minds.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Hmm this just reminded of those supposed documents that Iran had against the US.

What happened to those?

And I also wonder about the double standards here since Iran are developing/have developed their own stealth drone.

Why have a stealth drone if you don't plan on using it?

To use it on countries that you are at war with, not on whoever you damn well please.

The whole thing is a little absurd, as we all know the UN won't do anything. Yet if they actually did what they were created to do, the UN would at least publicly condemn the US's spying. It does make Iran look better, because they're handling this peacefully, rather than the 'merican way...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

Iran is not attempting to be the grownup. They are currently under UN sanctions because they have refused to grant inspections by the International Atomic Energy Agency and continued Uranian Enrichment. Today, they invited those inspectors in but did not allow for them to investigate any nuclear weapons concerns, a key requirement of the UN. Furthermore, Iran has drawn up a list of scientists that would be off limits to any questioning. It doesn't seem like the "grown up" "legal" approach to anything.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by yamother44
reply to post by redrose123

Iran is not attempting to be the grownup. They are currently under UN sanctions because they have refused to grant inspections by the International Atomic Energy Agency and continued Uranian Enrichment. Today, they invited those inspectors in but did not allow for them to investigate any nuclear weapons concerns, a key requirement of the UN. Furthermore, Iran has drawn up a list of scientists that would be off limits to any questioning. It doesn't seem like the "grown up" "legal" approach to anything.

Yep, that Uranian enrichment thing will get you in trouble every time.

You may want to spend 10 minutes or so researching what you say before posting a list of opinions as facts.

As far as Iran prosecuting the US over the drone? Good luck with that. It's not like the US follows the rule of law be it US law or any other purported law. The US government does whatever the hell it wants with impunity.
edit on 19-12-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Which part of what I said aren't facts?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Does this help?

Iran under UN Sanctions due to refusal to end enrichment:
Demand to End Enrichment - Resolution 1696

First Round of sanctions: Resolution 1737
Second Round: Resolution 1747
Third Round: Resolution 1803
Fourth Round: Resolution 1929

Iran has reinstated an offer for U.N. nuclear agency officials to visit Tehran, but is not saying whether they will be able to focus on suspicions that it is secretly working on nuclear arms — a key condition set by the agency, diplomats said Monday.

An official from an IAEA member nation told the AP that — as part of recent efforts to block the investigation — Iran is drawing up a list of scientists working on its nuclear program that will be off limits to any questioning from IAEA experts.

AP

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
People should probably just read these instead for source material.

www.iaea.org...

Iran actualy cooperates a great deal with the IAEA as you will find in there reports. There are two main things Iran remains clandestine about and that is design and any militaristic dimension of there nuclear program.

I personaly do not see anything wrong with that, if Iran is going to develop nuclear war heads, so what?

See that way Iran sees things is this, Oh hello IAEA inspectors, want to look at our plants?, make sure they are essentialy safe and in keeping with international standards?, sure go right ahead. Oh, whats that?, you want to look at highly classified governmental R&D so you can report it back to America, who is basicaly trying to establish if and when we will have some sort of defence against them?, hmmmm no, i dont think so!, good day.

edit on 19-12-2011 by Ixtab because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2011 by Ixtab because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ixtab

I understand what you're trying to say, but there exist major geopolitical concerns with the development of an Iranian warhead. And I don't believe the Iranians cooperate "a great deal" with the IAEA, they cooperate to an extent. For both the UN and the IAEA, that extent isn't enough. Justifiably so.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Ixtab

Oh, whats that?, you want to look at highly classified governmental R&D so you can report it back to America, who is basicaly trying to establish if and when we will have some sort of defence against them?, hmmmm no, i dont think so!, good day.

I have to thank you for one of the heartiest laughs I've had in a long, long time.

A nuclear warhead... a deterrent... to the U.S.?

When it comes to nuclear weapons, we invented the block that others are attempting to crawl around (forget walk).

So, they develop a nuclear warhead.... what are they going to do to get it here?

Exactly. It's not a defense. They do not have the engineering capability to create a delivery system capable of placing a single warhead anywhere near the U.S.

The bottom line: we will rape them.

Absolutely. Completely. And there is not a damned thing in the world they can do to stop it, once we decide to resolve to it.

Hell. A single B-52 armed with tactical yield nuclear warheads could pretty much put that country into a dark age for the next 20 years. It would actually save us the maintenance fees on those warheads, and end up being a cheaper solution than not employing such weapons (- Also figure that disposing of those weapons once they need to be decommissioned will be -more- expensive than procuring them in the first place...)

I'm not kidding. It would be cheaper for us to nuke Iran into oblivion than to continue to maintain the nuclear weapons used to do it. Not to mention what it would cost to launch a month-long stomping party with conventional forces.

Not that it makes much difference. A conventional strike on Iran would play out exactly like our invasion of Iraq - except we'd have no feelings of attachment or goals of sticking around. We'd trash the place and be gone in a month. We would have an afternoon of media coverage depicting the life and legacy of each and every individual who died in support of the operation (direct combat loss or not) - because there would be less than ten.

"Well, another arrogant post by an American!"

Go ahead. History supports what I'm saying.

Iran is doing this because it's the only thing they can do.

They cannot stand up against us. Even if they had their precious nuclear weapons - all they could do are terrorist-type attacks (and most of those would be aimed at Israel).

They sit there and rattle their sabers and try to play the role of the victim.

The reality is that we could wipe that country out of existence with merely a whim. Hell - President Obama was able to order strikes against Libya on his own whim, and that power can only be presumed to apply to this situation.

Most major strategic assets of Iran would lay in ruin before Congress could even convene.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by yamother44
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It is highly unlikely the UN would ever take action against the United States, being one of the five permanent members with veto power. The complaint holds more propaganda value than anything else.

A few years ago I would have agreed without question. Of course they can't do anything of real substance because of that veto power...but that leaves a lot of space for trouble and headaches Iran can generate out if the UN short of true sanctions or something of that nature. At this point and by the U.S. weakness in the world right now, it wouldn't surprise me to see the veto being the ONLY thing we have in our favor on this mess.

The Veto is absolute, indeed. Russia and China would never even humor the idea of that changing, for their own future protection by the same system.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

"Well, another arrogant post by an American!"
reply to post by Aim64C

You said it.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Are they going to EXECUTE the drone in Public?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I have this message to the rulers of Iran:

Let your people live in freedom.

Stop trying excuses for war.

Just let humans live on this planet.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join