It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First Rant! HELP! How can a request for Help be 'OFF TOPIC'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I am annoyed and confused please help me understand:

1. First of all, I make a thread 'Medical Journal - 14000 deaths US' still running.

In the thread I quote a couple of short paragraphs and provide a link to what was a much lengthier article.

Then I receive a Mod Prompt to say:
A member of the forum staff, DontTreadOnMe, has noticed your copy-and-paste of content from another website in this thread:,
Medical Journal - 14,000 deaths in US tied to Fukushima! = More To Come!.

AboveTopSecret.com policy does not allow for this type of content. Please review this post, General ATS discussion etiquette from Simon Gray for more information.

A token penalty of 50 points has been deducted from your account for this action. Please, return to the post you made and remove all but a first-paragraph snippet, then the link to your source material. If you don't make this slight change to your post when you receive this message, you risk the removal of your post (staff will no longer edit these types of posts for members).

And even though I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) I have followed the rules, I go to my thread to try and edit - perhaps shorten the paragraphs which are not long anyway and find I'm over the 4 hour limit so it won't let me.

A member of the forum staff, DontTreadOnMe, has noticed your copy-and-paste of content from another website in this thread:,
Medical Journal - 14,000 deaths in US tied to Fukushima! = More To Come!.

AboveTopSecret.com policy does not allow for this type of content. Please review this post, General ATS discussion etiquette from Simon Gray for more information.

A token penalty of 50 points has been deducted from your account for this action. Please, return to the post you made and remove all but a first-paragraph snippet, then the link to your source material. If you don't make this slight change to your post when you receive this message, you risk the removal of your post (staff will no longer edit these types of posts for members).

2. I then click on the warning at the bottom of my thread peice which leads me to a thread from the site owner explaining the problem of copy and pasting incorrectly. Having read this I still can't understand what I've done so respond via a reply to the Site Owner with the following answer:

I have just received a Mod Warning about this very thing and was deducted 50 points - I do opologise sincerely for this seeming error on my part. However, if I'm allowed to express my thoughts - I do feel I have followed the rules on what was a rather lengthy article I have given two short paragraphs and also provided a link so I'm confused as to where I have gone wrong.

The site is not allowing me to edit as it states, I'm over the four hours.

Not making excuses but without giving away my age - I am certainly not young and dont fully understand the legal copyright jargon attached to this problem. Hence I think 50 point deduction is a bit harsh for something I really didn't do with intention. A warning I can understand. But I really wish it wasn't assumed that we are all computer literate that is my only bug bear and I'm sure the site being what it is would not wish to be accused of agism.

Again I am sorry but can't see what I can do in this case.

THEN I'm told this is 'OFF TOPIC'

So now I'm doubly confused - is it just me? Are these rules meant to be understood?

Now I'll probably get chucked out - I hope not I love the site, it's great but come on!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Your best bet when in doubt about the reasons a moderator actions you is to simply U2U the moderator in question and ask. DontTreadOnMe is, at least in my experience, quite reasonable and won't hesitate to explain and then to guide you to do it better next time. The reason you were actioned as being off topic is that rather than do things by U2U to any mod, or to SO, you wrote about your personal situation in a thread not related to you or your issue specifically.

Since you still don't quite understand what is going on with the moderator action, simply U2U DontTreadOnMe and that mod will take time to explain more fully, I promise.
edit on 19-12-2011 by Ceriddwen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Did you U2U the mod to ask why this happened and to ask if it was possible to refund the points?

I agree, it seems a little harsh (I'm still learning around here, though, so I don't know).

However, I wouldn't have thrown him/her under the bus...
They were just doing their job and probably have a valid reason, even if you don't understand.
edit on 12/19/2011 by celebration because: spelling typo

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
From my experiences on here DontTreadOnMe is a fair mod.

Back in the day DontTreadOnMe offered me... let me say "guidance" lol

U2U DontTreadOnMe and talk it over with them...

Copy right issues are frustrating as an artist I have a hate/love affair with copyright laws lol

Number 6 on this ATS Thread explains copyright issues

edit on 12/19/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
As I was over the time for editing I'm hoping the Mod can put it right and have requested same - just don't know how to put something right where I can't see the wrong.

Thanks for trying anyway

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric
From my experiences on here DontTreadOnMe is a fair mod.

Back in the day DontTreadOnMe offered me... let me say "guidance" lol

U2U DontTreadOnMe and talk it over with them...

Copy right issues are frustrating as an artist I have a hate/love affair with copyright laws lol

Number 6 on this ATS Thread explains copyright issues

edit on 12/19/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

Thanks Evoleric - when I have a week spare I'll sit down and try and absorb all that - Holy C** Perhaps all our thread should go through an ATS clearing site before they're used on the front page - I need a headache pill now or two.

They say when the student is ready, the teacher will arrive - well I'm a long bloody time waiting lol

Thanks

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup
As I was over the time for editing I'm hoping the Mod can put it right and have requested same - just don't know how to put something right where I can't see the wrong.

Thanks for trying anyway

Did you also request help in understanding why it was actioned in the first place? Or did you just request the points be restored? At this point, there is no proof that the mod was mistaken here, and I think it is a better service to you to have the mod explain it to you first. Then the two of you could decide if you can agree on the actioning or not. Just my opinion of course, so take it as you will.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

"Remove all but the first-paragraph snippet"
Looks like your posted to much content from the source. Also, upon looking at your thread in question, you did not edit what the mod was asking of you. I think due to copy write issues, similar to other message boards as well, there's a 10-25 percent allowing of the "ex text" content when posting a thread about a source.

As another member mentioned the mod you was letting you know, is very fair. Bring up the issue with them.

Hope that helps.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
If the T&C look really daunting, focus your attention on Sections 15 and 16. They're the ones that are most likely to get a member in trouble.

Losing 50 points is not something to get worried about. What the points are good for (outside of, possibly, the esoteric formulas used in calculating "W" and "K") is a mystery no one has been able to solve.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake

"Remove all but the first-paragraph snippet"
Looks like your posted to much content from the source. Also, upon looking at your thread in question, you did not edit what the mod was asking of you. I think due to copy write issues, similar to other message boards as well, there's a 10-25 percent allowing of the "ex text" content when posting a thread about a source.

As another member mentioned the mod you was letting you know, is very fair. Bring up the issue with them.

Hope that helps.

As already explained above - I did try to remove some but was over the 4 hour limit when I saw the message so it wouldn't allow me to.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
If the T&C look really daunting, focus your attention on Sections 15 and 16. They're the ones that are most likely to get a member in trouble.

Losing 50 points is not something to get worried about. What the points are good for (outside of, possibly, the esoteric formulas used in calculating "W" and "K") is a mystery no one has been able to solve.

Thanks for the tip. Oh really, I'm not bothered about the points - perhaps I should be - it's just the principle isn't it I haven't even asked for them back. Just felt that the two paras I included in my thread were just a tiny portion of the article which I also linked to. I've seen much longer quotes.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ceriddwen

Thanks for trying anyway

Did you also request help in understanding why it was actioned in the first place? Or did you just request the points be restored? At this point, there is no proof that the mod was mistaken here, and I think it is a better service to you to have the mod explain it to you first. Then the two of you could decide if you can agree on the actioning or not. Just my opinion of course, so take it as you will.

I haven't asked for the points to be restored.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I haven't asked for the points to be restored.

It's not like they can be used for anything tangible so I wouldn't sweat their loss.

Your K score indicates that your posts have been well received. If someone gets a bee in their bonnet over one of your posts, suck it up and move on. I think I've had 1000 points total deducted. Can't say I'm certain since it's not like I can use them for a new toaster or anything.

Arguing with a mod is a waste of time since they're never wrong.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by quedup

If you don't know why, ask the moderator in question and wait for a reply. There are various ways to message them, either directly, via the alert button or via the suggestions and complaints "place". I have no idea why what happened happened but I can tell you this after having had contact with more than one moderator. Probably in reverse order...

0 Rant is probably not the appropriate place to air your grievances with moderators (imho)
1 Their word is final.
2 They are nice, kind, regular people.
3 They are here to help. You, me and everyone else.

Cheers and good luck.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I use to have a teacher that would yell out the amount of points she detracted from our daily grade everytime we did something she didn't like, "10 points!" "15 points!". It was hilarious yet annoying as heck!

I do feel bad for you though, you got 50 points taken away for not understanding something, and then tried to understand and were told it's "off topic"

Seems like that person needs a point deduction of their own! "100 points!"

But yea, mods don't like when people make threads complaining about what has happened to them, next time just U2U back and fourth with the mod and hopefully they'll be nice enough to actually listen to what you say and maybe not just dock you 50 points for a misunderstanding...sheesh.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dannotz
I use to have a teacher that would yell out the amount of points she detracted from our daily grade everytime we did something she didn't like, "10 points!" "15 points!". It was hilarious yet annoying as heck!

I do feel bad for you though, you got 50 points taken away for not understanding something, and then tried to understand and were told it's "off topic"

Seems like that person needs a point deduction of their own! "100 points!"

But yea, mods don't like when people make threads complaining about what has happened to them, next time just U2U back and fourth with the mod and hopefully they'll be nice enough to actually listen to what you say and maybe not just dock you 50 points for a misunderstanding...sheesh.

Wow - someone understands my gripe - Thanks. But yeah I should take it up with them - never mind it's probably too late now and 50 Points down isn't a concern. It's just as you say!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Ever get this feeling?

I have a feeling a lot of people do around here.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

Got somethin on ya nose, might wanna wipe that off

2nd

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

Actually, I have nothing on my nose. I was merely implying that I am sure most ppl who have had problems with the administration might feel like that.

I thought the part where I said "I have a feeling a lot of people do around here." might have made that clear.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

Feel like they got kicked in the head by the admin?

Im not sure what you were implying,

sry just a bit confusing.

looked more like you were saying the admin and mods are often annoyed with the users.

top topics

join