It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police in Texas town giving out gift cards for good driving

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

The next time you're approached by a traffic cop, you shouldn't necessarily assume the worst. Or at least you shouldn't succumb to primal fears of traffic cops if you're driving in Prosper, Tex, where police have been handing out $10 gift cards to drivers they see wearing seat belts and staying within the speed limit.

To be clear, the police officers aren't pulling over any motorists to notify them that they are obeying the law. Rather, officers on foot have been approaching driving in parking lots and other areas after noticing their good behavior. The police officers say they are going out of their way to not startle anyone.

Gotta love the Christmas spirit!

The department says it has funded 60 of the American Bank of Texas debit cards through its own contribution fund and from money raised at community events.

I wonder if this will spread to other cities? Also, I wonder how this will affect drivers? Will this cause people to obey traffic laws more?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
It's awfully quiet in here.... where are the "LEO's are good for nothing/ we don't need police" crowd now?... Cool, Idea.. but It won't have any effect on driving behaviors.

edit on 19-12-2011 by EyesWideShut because: meh

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It's a good idea.

About time the stick took a back seat and the carrot got an airing.

Can't see it catching on though, it would be seen as too costly in the long run, especially if the majority of drivers were driving responsibly.

It's not just the money for the 'gifts' or rewards, it's the money that would be lost in tickets and fines for bad driving that would cost the most.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Surely it will scare people at first "Oh, no what did I do!"...If uninformed, on foot is a good plan vs 'pulling over'. Holidays are a more risky driving, more theft, etc, good time to promote safety. Anyway, haven't heard of that, yet , in the Pac NW.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

I'm right here and reporting for duty Sah! What a pointless waste of public money! Happy now?

In all seriousness, I can't think of a more ridiculous campaign. Go catch some crooks and leave the damn donuts alone! I do not need a gift voucher and I object to the wanton wastage of taxpayer dollars in a futile and senseless "feel good" action by LEO. Santa's in black uniforms? Please no!

ETA It's their own money raised at fundraising events? Pffffft! Even more senseless. One does not reward people for obeying the law, one arrests those that do not. An exercise in Police "goodness"? I'd rather they just went about their civic duty as usual.
edit on 19/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Why the hell are people being rewarded for not breaking the law? Waste of money in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
It's awfully quiet in here.... where are the "LEO's are good for nothing/ we don't need police" crowd now?... Cool, Idea.. but It won't have any effect on driving behaviors.

edit on 19-12-2011 by EyesWideShut because: meh

Could help drivers for the better, I guess if let's say they hand out the cards near a bar, mall with martini bar, restaurant, to people appear sober. That may promote more than a few less cautious of their actions type people to remain in safety. Positive reinforcement? While I don't believe much in policing the people or enforcing a million laws to them, the area(in TX) in the article I am unfamiliar with, may need some help. I'd have to look up the studies on the ratio of "safe drivers"(states who use that on licenses) to the ratio of more people acting in safety to be rewarded.
edit on 19-12-2011 by dreamingawake because: sp

edit on 19-12-2011 by dreamingawake because: more

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Wish this would come to my town. I doubt I would get anything, my old ride is just too loud, but I am safe...

On a side note, how do you always find the good Texas news? Good stuff.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

You entire post made me laugh , especially the ETA... LEO's can't win with you!...lol

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

While I don't believe much in policing the people or enforcing a million laws to them, the area(in TX) in the article I am unfamiliar with, may need some help.

The town of Prosper is pretty small, just a couple thousand people (wiki says 11,000 as of July). The town is around 30 miles from me, but I have never been there.

Wiki on Prosper

Towns own website

reply to post by Bobaganoosh

On a side note, how do you always find the good Texas news? Good stuff.

Luck, I guess. This story just popped up on my homepage.

ETA - My homepage is Yahoo.com.
edit on 19-12-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

I aim to please...yet you gave me no star?
But in all seriousness I've seen this before and imho it is not the way to go. I'd rather a more personal approach, a hand-shake, a nice word, maybe even one of thos cool officers doing special traffic directing dance like the Santa Manila Traffic cop, but never money. It just presses the wrong button with me.

Santa Manila Traffic Cop

edit on 19/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Hopefully fixed link. Guy is mega cool

ETA Video starts half way though, first you see a few static photos
edit on 19/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
You can't knock them for doing this. They are promoting good behavior. It may not be a feasible campaign to run year round but,. millions of dollars are spent on anti drug and anti crime campaigns, which do nothing but sour the people involved in them.

There was a movie called pay it forward, I'm sure everyone remembers.

Good on them.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I think this is a great way of getting the community to like cops more. They have been seen in a negative way lately but this act of kindness and appreciation will show some positive. S&F

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Why the hell are people being rewarded for not breaking the law? Waste of money in my opinion.

Instead you should arrest/charge people for offences that can be resolved through mediation, but instead, hand out charges that end in thousands of dollars cost to the state (then the tax payer)....

Right?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Why did pavlovs dog drool every time a bell rang? Because he knew he would get a reward.... Food.

If people driving through Prosper know that there is a reward involved, do you think they will start driving more carefully?

I do.

It's simply an attempt to reduce traffic violations. I bet it works to. Humans are very easy to manipulate when money is involved.

Not to mention, people will love how the money came from the pockets of the cops and through donations, rather than from taxes.

Tell me, would you refuse this gift card if a cop gave one to you for driving well? I suspect that you would take it.
edit on 19-12-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Very similar to reduced insurance rates for good driving. Unfortunately, the rates they use to penalize are overboard. The way insurance companies ding you for bad driving is flat out extortion. I want an insurance company that doesn't use the money it collects for other business. People pay money for insurance to cover themselves if there is an accident/theft/etc, not give a company leverage for their financial transactions...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Very similar to reduced insurance rates for good driving.

Exactly, it is very similar to that. Only it is the Insurance companies "ringing that bell" instead of the cops.

I thought about including that in my post, to be honest.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

This was always the fun part of my job.. Well this as well as Halloween.. We would buy bags of candy and drive around the neighborhoods passing it out. Unless we had a priority call the kids came first.

There are concerns though about stopping people to pass out gift cards. Some departments are not allowed to do it because of opinions from their State Attorney's general. Technically we are violating the law if we stop a vehicle when there is no infraction / violation present.

There have been some departments who have told their officers no on the advice of their legal counsel, and if I am not mistaken some states dont allow it for the same reason.

To me it should be one of those common sense deals where we should be able to give back to those in the community whom we never have contact with (for the most part).

There is a reason people always love firemen - they aren't the ones who say no. Its not to often we get to give good feedback / answers / comments to people.

Either or im all for it. The more, as well as better, contact we have with the people we serve in my opinion is win / win.

Merry Christmas / Holidays to everyone. To the atheists 11 days until the big party. As a side note thank you for posting a positive police article.
edit on 20-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join