It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Tsunami-Shaped Clouds Roll Across Alabama Sky!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

An amazing picture of clouds...I cant figure out how to embed the picture, so there is a link.

For a morning, the sky looked like a surfer's dream: A series of huge breaking waves lined the horizon in Birmingham, Ala., on Friday (Dec. 16), their crests surging forward in slow motion. Amazed Alabamans took photos of the clouds and sent them to their local weather station, wondering, "What are these tsunamis in the sky?"

Experts say the clouds were pristine examples of "Kelvin-Helmholtz waves." Whether seen in the sky or in the ocean, this type of turbulence always forms when a fast-moving layer of fluid slides on top of a slower, thicker layer, dragging its surface.

Water waves, for example, form when the layer of fluid above them (i.e., the air) is moving faster than the layer of fluid below (i.e., the water). When the difference between the wind and water speed increases to a certain point, the waves "break" — their crests lurch forward — and they take on the telltale Kelvin-Helmholtz shape. [ Astonishing Video Shows a Face in the Clouds ]

According to Chris Walcek , a meteorologist at the Atmospheric Sciences Research Center at the State University of New York, Albany , fast-moving air high in the sky can drag the top of slow-moving, thick clouds underneath it in much the same way.

"In the pictures [of the Birmingham sky] there is probably a cold layer of air near the ground where the wind speed is probably low. That is why there is a cloud or fog in that layer," Walcek told Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to LiveScience. "Over this cloudy, cold, slow-moving layer is probably a warmer and faster-moving layer of air."

Source

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Oh man, that looks surreal. Cool.

link   
wow..

Those are wicked looking..

link   
reply to post by daniel5383

Haha I just read about this on yahoo news right now. It is amazing how nature displays certain things. Now the big thing is imagine if those clouds were real life tsunamis! Now that would be a sight to remember. Ah nature you are awesome.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Wow, nature is just so amazing.
Thanks for sharing OP!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

no problem! I always think of ats when I see cool stuff like this and luckily it hadn't been posted yet
That would have been a crazy sight to see in real life.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Thanks for putting up the photos. Looking at those, I imagine that's how the silhouettes of dinosaurs might have looked against the horizon. (Mind wanders.........sorry)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
wow..

Those are wicked looking..

Just HARRP testing in the air current first.
Next time will be on the sea by a new Earth Quart

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Just amazing

Could you imagine waking up and walking outside with your cup of coffee and seeing that!

Id shake my head , dump out my coffee and swear off morning caffiene

Damn nature, you scary!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I'll be honest, I clicked on this thread literally saying out loud to myself "What the f**k is a tsunami shaped cloud?", then I clicked on the picture and immediately said to myself "Holy sh!t they are tsunami shaped clouds", lol.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Wow! That looks awesome... I feel like someone should be surfing on them - cloud surfing anyone?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnySasaki
I'll be honest, I clicked on this thread literally saying out loud to myself "What the f**k is a tsunami shaped cloud?", then I clicked on the picture and immediately said to myself "Holy sh!t they are tsunami shaped clouds", lol.

lol exactly what i thought.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Thank you for bringing that pic. You got me to thinking about common threads that run throughout..

Waves of particles just blowin' in the "wind".
edit on 19-12-2011 by intrptr because: similarities

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I saw those last night on or local news weather.
The weatherman explained it as a low speed wind low in the atmosphere,and a higher speed wind moving in the opposite direction higher up.
Very cool.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Hey, I noticed your from Fla. too

Gotta say that even though I've seen some crazy clouds, storms, Hurricane eyewalls, ball lightning, waterspouts, tornados and swirling vortexs and experienced more close lightning strikes than I thought I deserved here in the greater Central Florida, Mims, Titusville and Cocoa Beach area,
I ain't seen nuthin' like them 'Bamy clouds brudder!
So, I guess We'll give to 'Bama this time

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I've seen and been through soem crazy weather(hurricanes for ex.) and seen some scary close tornadoes and much more(used to live in FL), but this takes the cake. Scary but at the same time interesting photo op and leaves you wondering what the...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Amazingly beautiful! wow what a work of art, nature really is the greatest artist. Just look at those clouds. I love how from time to time nature puts on a show for us! unbelievable. The sad part is that not many will eve care to notice, they go about their business rushing so much they forget to stop and smell the roses. Thankfully there are people who DO notice and snap shots
I make sure and stop as much as I can when heading places because you never know what beauty you might miss, never too late to stop and smell the roses.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr
[more

Wow! where did the second pic in your post come from?

To the OP that is both beautiful and scarey at the same time!! Nature is amazing!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhoDat09
reply to post by intrptr
[more

Wow! where did the second pic in your post come from?

To the OP that is both beautiful and scarey at the same time!! Nature is amazing!

Not responsible for off site content:
I googled Ice Waves and...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
and people say there is no such thing as chem trails and weather modification. I am no nut, but i live in the high desert. I see crazy #$@& all day long in the skies...clouds, military planes flying over head alllll night long....somethings def. going on in the world...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join