It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about Conciousness?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Well i have found my self increasingly becoming detached from this world. I feel like I'm digging myself into a deeper hole of depression as time goes by.

I want to become more aware and more consciousness. I have bee attempting meditation techniques which i have slowly been getting into. I am trying to take in the world and live but it's hard.

- But to get to the question, is day dreaming bad for our consciousness. I find myself daydreaming quite often. Use to do it a lot back when i was young in school. Now is it bad for being aware of the world around you, or is there another reason.

I see how it could be good in a work or school environment, to block out the mindless and brainwashing tasks but what about everyday life.

Does daydreaming fog up your awareness to the world or is there another reason for it. I find myself doing it multiple times a day even when i shouldn't be like when I'm hanging out with friends.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dankety

I spend the the majority of my days in a slightly euphoric state. It's normal, the more I learn the more time I find myself dwelling in information inside of my head while carrying out thoughtless tasks.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well...

Day dreaming is usually a counterpart of not accepting what is around you as sufficient.

I recommend accepting what you see now. It will go along way.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I don't see why day dreaming would be bad, just look within and you will find the truth friend. Life doesn't have to have suffering

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dankety

Well i have found my self increasingly becoming detached from this world. I feel like I'm digging myself into a deeper hole of depression as time goes by.

Why are you depressed?

But to get to the question, is day dreaming bad for our consciousness.

No...

Does daydreaming fog up your awareness to the world or is there another reason for it.

No

Life is what dreams are made of....

Daydreaming is thinking about what "could" be... It helps you to strive to be your best...

I've hear life is but a dream...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dankety

Dear dankety,

Since this is a very personal thread, I have more questions than I would from a thread where I could just look stuff up.

What do you mean by consciousness? Since you want more of it, I'm curious. You seem to be always aware of something, even if it's your daydreams.

Is your day dreaming something you can control if you want to? If you're doing it at inappropriate times, can you stop?

You mentioned you have friends, and you find yourself day dreaming when you're with them, that detaches you from the world. Do you know why you day dream then?

Are you attempting to avoid this world? I'm sure you know that throughout history there have been people who have given up on the world and retired from it.

What makes you happy?

I know I've butted in more than I perhaps should have. Of course you don't have to answer me if you'd rather not, but maybe the questions will be helpful.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Thanks for your post. But to answer your question, why am i so depressed. I have been depresed since i was around 8 years old. I took medication when i was young but i got of that stuff around 10 never liked it and i know now that it is terrible for you.

But im 19 years old and im kinda homeless. Parents kicked me out when i was in high school and just been chillen at friends houses ever since. My whole life is pretty depressing but i got a pretty good mind set.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dankety
I want to become more aware and more consciousness.

You can't do that. You have X amound of awareness and consciousness and that's it. All you can learn to do is redeploy that that awareness more efficiently. To that end, daydreams are antithetical.

...I want to become more aware and more consciousness. I have bee attempting meditation techniques which i have slowly been getting into...
... is day dreaming bad for our consciousness.

Meditation is learning to focus on one thing. Daydreaming is like the exact polar opposite, it's the mental wandering meditation is trying to temper. Plus I think most day dreams are about things we don't have, power, women, adventure, which could be contributing to your depression.

Get your head out of the clouds!

Now is it bad for being aware of the world around you, or is there another reason.

Does your computer slow down when you run several large programs? The daydream world you create is the same process as the one that recreates the real world out of your sensory perceptions. We don't have enough awareness to capture everything this world has to offer, so assigning some of it to an imaginary world can't help.

I see how it could be good in a work or school environment, to block out the mindless and brainwashing tasks but what about everyday life.

You sure about work? If you were working somewhere where you could injure yourself, don't you think daydreaming could be a liability?

Does daydreaming fog up your awareness to the world or is there another reason for it. I find myself doing it multiple times a day even when i shouldn't be like when I'm hanging out with friends.

You should do reality checks. It's a method used to induce lucid dreaming. You just stop every now and then and observe things to see if you're dreaming or not. Most people do this with certain triggers, like each time they walk through a doorway or check their watch or phone. Use day dreaming as your trigger.

Reality checks should help with what you're trying to achieve. You'll know your getting a handle on awareness once you start having lucid dreams in which you know you are dreaming. Meditation teaches how to focus, the dream world is a perfect testing ground of what to focus on.
edit on 19-12-2011 by The Cusp because: typo

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dankety

Everyone daydreams from time to time, but if you spend a lot of time doing it, that’s time out from the daily business of life. If you find yourself neglecting or forgetting things you ought to do, you could be spending too much time with your daydreams.

People who daydream a lot often have unhappy real lives. Since you say you’re often depressed, it sounds like you could be one of those people.

I don’t think meditating or ‘being more conscious’ are likely to help you. It seems to me that you’re already too conscious of yourself; what you need is to forget about yourself and your own life and concentrate on others, and the world around you, instead. This is the sovereign cure for introspection and unhealthy self-obsession. Get out of the house, talk to other people, take an interest in their lives and problems, take up a sport or a hobby that will allow you to meet and share thoughts and feelings with others. No man is an island; humans are members of a social species, and are happiest and healthiest when they belong to a group – even though they may sometimes withdraw from the group to spend time alone for different reasons.

Are you in a relationship? If you're an adult, or even an older teenager, a special partner would help a lot.

But the biggest thing is to stop looking inwards and look outwards instead. Very hard to do if one is a clinical depressive, though. Have you seen a doctor about this? You ought to.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Hey, I daydream a lot, it gives me a break from reality, and it never really created any issues for me so I can't see it as being a "problem", but only if you understand that reality needs to be dealt with and not hidden from.

Still, daydreaming to escape reality is a lot better than what some people do, creating and living a fabricated illusionary life not true to their real selves, either as approval junkies or just because of difficulty dealing with reality.

Your depression dankety, I feel, has its roots in the feeling of your own self worth IMHO. Try not hang on to the past, especially anything that you might feel responsible for, concentrate on things within your control, and not on what once was. Wake up every day saying "a new day, a new me", because awareness works best with an uncluttered peaceful mind.

I hope this may help you in some way........ otherwise, if I'm way off the mark, my apologies and finish this thread with........ move along, nothing to see here.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

Thanks for your post. But to answer your question, why am i so depressed. I have been depresed since i was around 8 years old. I took medication when i was young but i got of that stuff around 10 never liked it and i know now that it is terrible for you.

But im 19 years old and im kinda homeless. Parents kicked me out when i was in high school and just been chillen at friends houses ever since. My whole life is pretty depressing but i got a pretty good mind set.

You don't need medication my friend... You just need drive, and motivation.

Go back to school and figure out what you want to do with your life... Look to what you could be as opposed to where you are currently... Follow your heart and you will find your place, and happyness will follow.

Personally i would also try my best to make up with your parents... whatever misunderstanding you had they will forgive... Being a young adult is hard, and most usually butt heads with their parents eventually.

You say you have a "pretty good mind set"... ask yourself this. Do you want to be in a dead end job you hate for the rest of your life? Unless you get lucky (it happens but not usually) that is where you are headed without an education. The world has changed in the past 20 years... unlike in the past you most likely can't get a decent job without that education.

My friend, it took me 13 years after highschool to find what i was meant to do.... Don't be like me... don't waste your time on this... trust me and believe what i say because it comes from experience. I was where you are 13 years ago... And it won't happen by you waiting for it to happen, you have to want it for yourself... then do whatever it takes to get there.

I wish you all the best...

Much love

new topics

top topics

join