It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada: The Valley Of The Headless Men - Nihanni Valley.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I've read about this place before and I've always found it to make for completely enthralling reading. Some of those links are new to me, so thanks OP! S&F

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I have heard this story, about 35 years ago.
As I remember it there were rumours that the killings were attributed to a crazy white man that was living in them parts.
Some saying it was Albert Johnson. before he went farther north. He had a thing about gold fillings. when he was killed he had a bunch of gold fillings on his person. some saying from the heads he took.
I heard the story from a Luchu teacher in Inuvik. Her husband was one of the guides for the RCMP that hunted down the rat river trapper.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I've been to Liard hotsprings at the northern edge of this area, even in the middle of the winter you can see that the vegetation is impassible. I can imagine what it's like in the summer. An expedition to this area shouldn't be taken lightly. I lived in southeast alaska for 15 years and have done every type of camping there is. Everything from ultra light backpacking to how much gear can we load on the boat or plane camping. You will be wet and cold for the majority of the time on a trip like this. Count me out, this place scares me.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
i was just having a conversation the other day about how little i know of canada's history. i'm sure its very rich. i wouldn't mind exploring some of its territories myself.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
A peak near the southern entrance to this area is called "Devils Thumb". Yep, one more reason not to go.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Wow, interesting thread! I haven't read all the replys, only the first page, so I don't know if anyone asked! I live in Yellowknife, and I am from the Gwichin Nation with my Dogrib girlfriend. I have heard of stories of the Nagah, aka Bush Man, from my girls friends and family! Apparently, the Nagah will take you away if you go out into the woods alone, mostly told to kids to stop them from getting lost.

But the story goes further with adults, with sightings of the Nagah, some say it's like a Sasquatch and others say they are shape-shifters, able to change from human into an animal, while still others claim they are people that still live off the land their whole lives. The area is to the west of Dogrib lands. In fact, my girlfriends mother, said that her uncle was from Nahanni Valley and was also a bushman. The story is that he used to come to Rae Edzo once in a while, then he said he won't be coming back, and he wants to stay in the wild. His brother stayed in town, and misses his bushman sibling. His brother tries to go see him every year but never has made contact. To this day, once a year he goes on a long journey looking for him. I haven't seen any Nagah myself, nor have I heard of the Naha tribe before today.

PS. So I guess my question is, do you think the Naha tribe is just the white translation of the Dogrib word Nagah? Just wondering! Oh yeah, star and flag for this thread!

edit on (20/12/11) by SLAPurMAMA because: Missing info

edit on (20/12/11) by SLAPurMAMA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Googling Nahanni Valley comes up with some interesting links about underground entrances to vast networks of caves. One cave system in the valley contained to remains of hundreds of goats. Were they stranded there by nature or fed upon and just left by these creatures?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I remember reading about this last year and i could of sworn i've seen some photos of the headless corpses.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Great ideas to go and explore, if there was a big enough party I would go as well. It would kind of freak me out with only a couple of people.

I am a professional photographer with some wilderness skills so I am sure I could help out in the expedition.

Pred...

Just send in Chuck Norris

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
The OP mentions the Dene people. These would be close relatives of the Navajo people of the American southwest, Athabascans who travelled south long ago.

That's interesting. I never knew these tribes were related. I wonder how long ago the Navajo made the southern migration?

I have previously read about some of the mysteries associated with the Nahanni River area but this thread has added more info about this.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
so anyone thinking what im thinking

expediation through here see if ti lives up to its name

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Why hasn't anyone posted a link for Google Maps yet?

Google map

Try that. It's looks nice, yet very cold.
edit on 20-12-2011 by WickettheRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bluestreak53

I know that the Tlingit language of Southeast AK. and the Navaho do share some common words. This migration definitely happened I'm guessing 10000 years ago or close to it.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
So Mods no advance on the Expedition suggestion then??

you can bang up a radio show in a few days, imagine the ratings you would get reporting the first rag tag team of explorers to search for a new world since the 1800's!!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
If ATS is footing the bill I volunteer as Base Camp cook. In the rear with the gear!! I can also take double duty as the expeditions embalmer. Someone has to take care of your headless corpses and ship them back to your Mommas.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

As an avid lover of horror films, this place seems like the perfect backdrop to make a good horror flick. I would give anything to explore there. On the other hand, I'd probably change my mind once I was there!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Hearing stuff like this, I get chills. If i was a millionaire I would def explore this area..to bad people are baby's. Man, Does anyone wanna go see some dinosaurs with me?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Never heard of any of this stuff before, great post!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

Real talk lets do this! We should take a poll on who wants to go!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join