It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada: The Valley Of The Headless Men - Nihanni Valley.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+69 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Source

The Nahanni Valley of Canada's Northwest Territories has been called one of the last truly unexplored places in the world. Lying above the 60th Parallel, it is accessible only by air, water or a long overland journey from the village of Tungsten. As a result, much of the area remains unexplored, despite being declared a national park in 1976, and a World Heritage Site in 1978.

Native tales tell of an unknown evil lurking within 200 Mile Gorge, and most avoid the area. Local oral history also tells of a mountain-dwelling tribe known as the Naha. The Naha were feared by the region's Dene people, as they often descended to raid nearby villages. These tales end with the rapid, mysterious disappearance of the Naha. No trace of this tribe has ever been found.

The eerie nickname attached to 200 Mile Gorge is the Valley Of The Headless Men. This name comes from a series of unexplained incidents in the Gorge during the Gold Rush of the early 20th century. Two brothers, Willie and Frank McLeod left in 1906 in an attempt to reach the Klondike through Nahanni. Nothing was heard from them for the next two years. Rumours spoke of the two finding the "mother lode" of gold. Despite this, no efforts were made to find them.

In 1908, another prospecting expedition discovered two bodies, later identified as the McLeod brothers. Both had been decapitated. This incident would likely have been marked up as just another macabre tale of North had they been the only headless bodies. In 1917, the body of a Swiss prospector by the name of Martin Jorgenson was found next to his burned cabin. Decapitated. In 1945, the body of a miner from Ontario, whose name seems to be lost to history, was found in his sleeping bag, without a head. A trapper named John O'Brien was found frozen next to his campfire, matches still clutched in his hand. I cannot find any reference to the state of his head.

Well, after reading this story I was quite interested in this story as this is my homeland and had never heard anything about it.

Anytime there is crazy happenings like people being beheaded or people frozen to death while clutching matches always gets my juices a flowing. And people are saying this could be the entrance to the hollow earth and that this is one of the least explored places on Earth, well I had to see if I could find a bit more information.

Source

Yes, to describe it as cold up above the sixtieth parallel would be an understatement. It was damn near inhospitable – the wolves, the snow and the biting chill, the miles and miles of tree-shrouded mountain ranges. But the Valley was something special. All year round it was an oasis for those of the likes of us. It was warm. It was lush. It was said you could bathe naked in the zigzag streams and pools beneath ice-free cavalcades of rock. The hot sulfur springs did it.

They also gave the place an evil smell, Old Jeff swore. That, and the mists.

The Valley, with its hot spring engines beneath it, created some sort of anomalous weather vortex. The hot sulfur-tinged air rose hundreds and hundreds of feet, sparred with the cooler Arctic air blown down south from the pole, curled and curved back down. The process somehow spawned the mysterious mists that kept the Valley out of reach of more common men.

The hot springs associated with this valley could very well small bad, we have all smelled sulfur at one point or another and it is not the most pleasant smell.

Interesting to read that there could be a tropical oasis in Canada. It's an interesting thought that the hot springs could heat up the valley enough to provide lush greenery. We have plenty of hot springs here, a couple of the more noted are Radium, and Banff Springs, so the concept is one that could easily be true.

The idea of the mist is also intriguing, creating humidity high enough for it to resemble a topical place is another interesting tidbit in the story.

Source

The region in the 1920's was one of the few areas in Canada with blank spots. The maps of the area showed two straight lines to indicate the Nahanni and Flat Rivers, in fact one of which was in the wrong place, along with the lone word Falls.

There were persistent rumours of prehistoric animals that ravaged the region. Bones and tusks of mastodons were found. In addition, the native people of the region were able to accurately draw pictures of mastodons on their raw hide. Combined with rumours of cliff dwelling mountain cannibals and weird uncontrolled noises in the Valley it was only the brave who would venture forth.

The fact that they were drawing mastodons accurately is quite interesting. There is nothing saying if these are older pictures or somewhat new but either way it was interesting. If these are recent drawings then maybe the idea of cloning a Mastodon is useless if we have the living in northern Canada, and if this place can get as tropical as they say well there would be more than enough food for creatures like that to survive.

I wonder if there is Bigfoot up there?

Source

This remote section of the Northwest Territories of Canada is a magnificent wilderness with a dark past. Prospectors for gold were found decapitated, and some were never seen again. The fierce Naha tribe had also vanished without trace years before. Rumours of evil forces gained strength, but when one visits this unforgiving environment, as R. M. Patterson did in the 1920s, one might understand the dangers that one might face, notably the perilous ice caves, sinkholes, thundering waterfalls, such as the Virginia Falls and the cold.

I know there is a lot to read on here, but I promise it is all worth it.

This is an intriguing mystery along the like of the Ural mountains mysterious deaths.

I hope you like, and please share your opinions.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
interesting if it hasn't been exagerated over the many years. Be interesting to find out more about it and how truthful these reports are.

Wayne...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This is a neat bit of history here.
I didn't even know about this, and i live in Canada!
I wonder what other kind of other wierd or interesting things are in canada.

Good thread op, S+F
Its highly interesting to read about it, and it is unforgiving up there! But now we have snowmobiles and supremely good winter clothing, someone should go exploring, i would definatly do it if i had the funds. Just out of curiousity of the unknown.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
wow
Wonder why no one has gone exploring despite the decapitations? lol I would go with a rather large group and maybe a few weapons, Its takes more than a few dozen bodies to scare me, i say that sitting safely at home behind computer lol But really sounds exciting anyone feel like taking a trip !

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

S&F
Could anyone else find it on google maps?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Lat: 61.25 Long: -124.5

I'm in. I wouldn't mind going for a trip with a large enough group. I'm healthy, have land surveying skills and generally am very good working with my hands and on my feet.

At the coldest, I have worked in -52C (on the thermometer) without windchill.

If anyone is actually serious about this expedition I would love to hear more. I bet we could get TV channel like Discovery to document it like "Gold Rush Alaska", to help with resources if needed. Obviously independent investors and documentary crews would be better but whatever it takes I say for something like this...

I am going to research this some more.

edit on 19-12-2011 by Phayte because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Yes but there are stupid clouds and not very good res....

to charon / /
edit on 19-12-2011 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The valley looks nice and green as far as I can tell from the picture blow up. I wonder how hard it would be to find on gooogle earth?

It's interesting, the tales of weird creatures and people who lose their heads.
Never heard of this before either.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Star and flagged. Threads like this is why I visit ATS.

But we do far too much talking and not enough exploring. I'd love to put something together like we did "in the old days" where we'd hire in a ship, buy supplies and head on out to find out what lies beyond. There's quite a few places I'd love to check out. This place is one of them, Antarctica is another with the thought of a hollow earth opening.

Anyways, thanks for the thread. Enjoyed every sentence.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like a fun road trip to go on one summer with the boys

i'll let you know how it goes

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Lol conviently covered by "clouds". Would not be suprised if the Illuminati cover all these site that prove existence of "myths".

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Phayte

Yes....

If we can get a decent sized group, Possbly ATS and somthing like the discovery chanel to get this as somthing they'd be interested in you can count me in!

even though im from scotland, im decent with a gun, got good tolerances for cold and although an IT tech i can make myself pretty useful in/with camping type enviroments/equipment.

Dear ATS mods... use your powers and make this happen, the first sponsored ATS expedition into the unknown!!
sounds good

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourboycal2
Sounds like a fun road trip to go on one summer with the boys

The road trip won't even get you into the park, let alone the 'Headless Valley:

Overland Access
Although there are no public roads inside Nahanni National Park Reserve, there are several ambitious and demanding overland routes. It is possible to reach the headwaters of the South Nahanni River at the Mooseponds (outside of the park) by travelling overland across the continental divide from the Yukon. Some people also access the South Nahanni River by driving to the former mining town of Tungsten from Watson Lake in the Yukon. The road to Tungsten is not maintained on a regular basis, and is frequently impassable. When it is passable, a four-wheel drive vehicle is required to reach Tungsten. At Tungsten, travellers may choose either the Little Nahanni River or the Flat River to descend to the South Nahanni River. The Little Nahanni and Flat rivers each contain Class IV and Class V rapids. Only expert paddlers should consider travelling on these rivers.

www.pc.gc.ca...

Be prepared for either a float plane or a canoe to get you there.

Lat: 61.25 Long: -124.5

Having lived in the NWT for a couple of years, I wish you the best of luck getting there. I'd suggest a helicopter flight from Fort Simpson myself, but only because I liked chopper pilots when I was there.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

actualy something interesting is that there have been sightings of two differnt cryptids around there
the waheela en.wikipedia.org...
and the nuk luk en.wikipedia.org...
both are said to be agressive, so i wonder if there is connection

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
www.bigfootencounters.com...

This a good read and it adds a little more credence to this headless mystery of Nahanni. I looked at the area on google earth and from the Nahanni area to Thomas bay in Alaska it's about 260 miles. The "Strangest Story Ever Told" tells about bigfoot like creatures and the life altering fear they induce, and some miners that ran across them at Thomas Bay, AK. during the Gold Rush.

This area does have many hot springs and some of the thickest bush you've ever seen. As far as an expedition is concerned, fly in to the nearest lake and hike in.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I'm definitly in I could do a whole summer of exploring, Have funds and would sponser someone else from ats to go !

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
only requirement it is that your not a fast runner
in case of bears or head hunters hahah
im serious

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Great ideas to go and explore, if there was a big enough party I would go as well. It would kind of freak me out with only a couple of people.

I am a professional photographer with some wilderness skills so I am sure I could help out in the expedition.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Yea well that just makes the adventure more fun lol.

"The Little Nahanni and Flat rivers each contain Class IV and Class V rapids. Only expert paddlers should consider travelling on these rivers"

I ain't no chick i'll man handle these rivers with the boys and full gear ! HOORAH.

This place sounds very intresting. One of these summers i think im gonna put together a team of maybe 15-20 guys and go deal with this place. Love these types of adventures espically when your with a team full of your buddies.

i know it won't be all fun and games, and who knows what we might encounter , but if i go i'll bring back a trophy

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Phayte

I've done my share of exploring and would consider my capable of defending myself and some people around. So, I can probabaly get around 3 or 4 people that'd be ready to roll. I've also handled a camera a bit myself so Lemme know what up

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join