It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2011 Winter Solstice: Newgrange Ireland:Our ancestors knew more of our future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
December 21st, 2011 Winter Solstice: waiting for the biggest event of the year at Newgrange, Ireland
Winter Solstice Webcast
The 2011 Winter Solstice Sunrise Illumination at the Newgrange World Heritage site will be broadcast live by Heritage Ireland on December 21st from about 8:30am. (UTC)
www.newgrange.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I watched one minute of the video. You owe me one minute of my time back.

Was there anything to do with UFO's in that video?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
thank you for this link

ill watch it , it should be a beautiful to see

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Violence

Well I guess you would have to watch the whole thing to find out, eh? Or you could do like I did. I don't have much patience for watching some videos so I simply do a search on the topic to be able to read about it. It actually is quite interesting. Apparently, Newgrange was built so that the internal chamber is lit up by the sun, ONLY on Winter Solstice! I think that's neat.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan
...Apparently, Newgrange was built so that the internal chamber is lit up by the sun, ONLY on Winter Solstice! I think that's neat...

Yeah -- pretty neat, but what is the connection to aliens and UFOs (the general category for this particular forum)?

The lives of ancient people relied on knowing the dates of the winter and summer solstices (and spring/fall equinoxes). These dates were so important to their survival that I'm not surprised they attached some mystical quality to them over the thousands of years that they kept track of them.

Other summer and/or winter solstice observatories included Stonehenge, Chichen Itza, the Anasazi Sun Dagger, the Goseck Circle, an the observatory at Kokino in Macedonia.

In Egypt, there was Abu Simbel, which was known to mark the solstice because it was also about the same time as the annual Nile flooding -- and the Nile flooding was VITAL to the lives of the Egyptians. The flooding of the Nile (which brought fertile silt required for farming) was probably the reason the Egyptian civilization flourished in the first place.

Angkor Wat (although not exactly 'Ancient") also has ways of keeping track of the vitally important calendar by having columns that lark the days between the Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox. This would tell them (among other things) when their planting season starts.

It may be interesting to see the various example of how ancient man marked (and even celebrated) the solstices and equinoxes, but I don't see the alien and UFO connection, or why the video title states "Our ancestors knew more of our future".

edit on 12/20/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

but what is the connection to aliens and UFOs

Well said. This Newgrange myth gets out of hand sometimes. A lot of people think that Newgrange shows that Neolithic folk in the area had an advanced understanding of astronomy for the time. But the observation of solstice is no big deal and you certainly don't need to build a light chamber. Ritual and worship? It's amazing how little is known about why it's there at all.
edit on 20-12-2011 by Barflyer because: Typo

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barflyer
...Ritual and worship? It's amazing how little is known about why it's there at all.

Knowledge is power. It wouldn't surprise me that the people who kept track of the dates of the solstice kept the information close to themselves as a way to hold power over the people.

As you mentioned above, it really isn't difficult to know when the solstice is occurring, if you just bothered to keep track of the sunrise over time (the solstices will mark the farthest "North of East" and "South of East" that the Sun would rise in a year). However, even today, how many people will bother to keep track of this, or even know enough to keep track.

The scientists of the time who did actually keep track of this could pas themselves off as "mystics" in order to keep the calendar information to only a select few (remember, knowledge is power). Perhaps creating a ritual and worship that would surround this could help give the appearance that TPTB at the time held some special information that only they were privileged to understand.

This could also mark the start of some religious beliefs. Science and religion could be connected in this manner where the first religious leaders were scientists who wanted to hold power over the people, so they didn't share the scientific explanations of nature, but rather intentionally and falsely associated it with mysticism.

An interesting take on this could be found in Isaac Asimov's book "Foundation". Near the last half of that novel, after the fall of the Galactic Empire and the galactic dark ages that followed, it was the use as science as a religion (Asimov called it "Scientism") that helped the "barbaric" post-fall galactic citizens accept science once again.

In the case of this story the scientists had good intentions. Rather than the desire to use knowledge to hold power over the people, they really wanted to help them by bringing scientific knowledge back to the uneducated barbaric masses in the hopes of re-instating a galactic empire. However, the barbaric masses could not distinguish science from mysticism, and saw the scientists as holy people. The scientists did not originally want this, but they gave in, considering it to be a means to an end, and created the religion of "Scientism", with scientists as Priests.

A similar (but different) thing happened in real life during the real dark ages. During the dark ages, scientific knowledge was very hard to find in the general population. Most people were uneducated. Only the more educated people in dark-ages Europe (people who could read) were the ones who were the "keepers of scientific knowledge" -- and those people more often than not happened to be monks. In Europe, monks -- and the church -- were the caretakers of most of the knowledge during the dark ages.

The book "Foundation" is actually a Galactic Empire analogy to the real fall of the Roman Empire and the dark ages that followed. I realize that Newgrange is earlier than that -- it is a pre-Roman Empire site -- but the idea of people using scientific knowledge as a sort of mysticism to hold power over the uneducated masses could have still applied.

edit on 12/20/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I didn't think it was connected to aliens. The other poster said something about it and I didn't understand why he said it. Now I see why. I actually didn't notice that this thread was in the aliens and ufos forum.

top topics

join