It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Is The Universe? The Answer Could Change Your Life!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
Thats why i prescribe to Representative Realism-

" the philosophical position that our conscious experience is not of the real world itself but of an internal representation, a miniature virtual-reality replica of the world. Indirect realism is broadly equivalent to the accepted view of perception in natural science that states that we do not and can not perceive the external world as it really is but know only our ideas and interpretations of the way the world is"

everything we experience is actually going on in our head, even if it is a representation of the external world.

this is the reasoning behind the old proverb/adage, if a tree falls in the woods, and nobody is around to here it, does it make a sound?

the answer is no.

the SOUND is in your head. it is your ears and brains representation of a vibration. the tree makes the vibration. but the actual sound is in your head!

No you're wrong. Sound is a physical phenomenon that occurs independently of "your head". The whole world and universe do not revolve around the existence of life. The universe would exist and did exist without humans.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

Before you can perceive information, your brain has to process it.
Your experiences are your brains interpretation of external stimuli it has received.
Obviously the vibration is external and still there, but the experience of sound is still your brains interpretation.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Well then you just proved me right. The vibration occurs outside your head. The article is stating that it is impossible to verify that there is a world that exists outside your head. The fact that a world exists independent of you or anyone else is indisputable.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I have been saying you are all inside my head ever since I started posting.

But someone else said it first...

The Kingdom of Heaven is WITHIN you.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Your still not getting, which is okay, it is tricky.

Im not saying the vibration doesnt exist outside of your head.
But what YOU EXPERIENCE is inside your head.
It is the brains interpretation of that vibration.

All stimuli has to be processed by the brain in order to be experienced. If you read my post before in which I mention representative realism, it will make more sense.
"our conscious experience is not of the real world itself but of an internal representation, a miniature virtual-reality replica of the world. Indirect realism is broadly equivalent to the accepted view of perception in natural science that states that we do not and can not perceive the external world as it really is but know only our ideas and interpretations of the way the world is"

Its not saying the external stimuli doesnt exist, what its stating is that what you EXPERIENCE of the external stimuli is a representation our brains have created. The act of hearing takes place within your consciousness. The sound you hear is what has been put together by your brain. Otherwise it is just a external vibration. So that doesn't prove what you said. But like i said, it is a concept that took me a while to get, so i dont expect you to get it right the first time either

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
yah u only sense the outside reality, you imagine your existence in your own "projected" reality, pretty awesome when you can understand it properly. peace gringos
edit on 26-12-2011 by 1beerplease because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

You realized it was a dream- when you woke up. You don't know it is a dream when you are dreaming though, just like you don't realize that this 'waking state' is a dream until you wake up.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
We seem to live in a series of inter-nested universes or 'patterns' - energy, physical, biological, social, intellectual and so on.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
This is like when Einstein ask if you don't look at the Moon some crap, well sure it's there, it's still pulling the tides. And that tree fall in the woods thing, go to the butterfly effect and see.
And no the entire universe is not in your brain, it has to be placed there.
Look at babies, is said they see everything upside down until their brain corrects and flips it over right side up.
Or put your hand in fire, get a sun burn.

I know, I know, the holographic universe, but then you could also say the Singularity never Banged, and the One still sits unmoved unchanged, and all is illusion.
We are but a Dream of the Dreamer.

edit on 26-12-2011 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Simply put, your all missing the obvious - that if reality is inside the mind, there is no 'inside', because that requires an outside. Your experience is either "it", or there is more to "it" than that. When you've got a few more years under your belt you'll realise that they are the same thing. Or there different. Doesn't really matter. The source and the effect are the same, and how we manipulate the bit in the middle is what matters.
edit on 26-12-2011 by 21st century man because: spelling

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Existance is not occuring internally or externally, it is one process. There is no inside or outside of you. Inside and outside are two but neither can 'appear' to exist without you. Without you there would be no appearances seen or known. You have to be before anything can appear to exist.
The only thing that can be 100% known for sure is that I am.
The universe is debatable, I am not.
edit on 26-12-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
The only thing that matters is that we feel. And I feel like crap. There is no changing that.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Yes, you are correct, the universe that we perceive is a function of our physical senses and abilities - for a being that has different senses, the universe will be experienced differently.

In terms of the location of the universe, it could be that the external world and the internal world are connected via a bridge, that bridge is what allows us to perceive the other side of a reality that we are otherwise intrinsically connected to.

This means that our creation and the creation of the universe are inextricably linked.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Oh no I do understand and fully believe what you are saying there. I thought you were debating the existence of the world outside your own self which is completely irrational. But what you are saying I do believe.
edit on 12/27/2011 by dbloch7986 because: Typo

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
So the old saying if a tree falls and no one is around to hear it....

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

You realized it was a dream- when you woke up. You don't know it is a dream when you are dreaming though, just like you don't realize that this 'waking state' is a dream until you wake up.

There are a lot of things that are distinctly different from a dream, which is entirely created inside of your mind, and your waking state of consciousness, which exists both inside your mind and outside it.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Tell me what you think is distinctly different about the dream state compared to the waking state.
Can you be sure there is anything 'outside'. Is there an 'outside' and 'inside'?
A dream seen.
edit on 27-12-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

If you can't tell the difference between a waking state and a dreaming state then you have a problem.

Yes I can be sure there is an "outside" as you put it. I can be sure because it has rules that I and everyone else must follow. Again with the hot poker example. Go touch something hot and tell me that it doesn't burn you. Then we can debate the existence of the "outside".
edit on 12/29/2011 by dbloch7986 because: Typo

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

It is not me who is stating that there are a lot of things that are distinctly different from a dream than waking state. Can you convince me or yourself that there is a difference?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

The burning sensation that is felt when touching some 'thing' hot is not felt 'outside'. You will only ever experience yourself, you will never beable to experience a 'thing' independant of you feeling the 'thing'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join