It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The year in review from Southern Ontario

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Note to Mods, I figured this was the spot for this post but do what you will with it if you deem it necessary.
What a long strange trip it's been !
Two tornadoes ( one major)
One earthquake (unheard of almost here in this region)
All the trees dropping their leaves in Mid July.
Wars Wars and them some with the media pumping it up to the point where it was obvious that this has no end.
Peaceful and non violent protesters getting the s*** kicked out of them and being tasered just for expressing their thoughts and displeasure.
Smart electricity meters with very smart costs involved........30/50 % increase for sure.
Global warming caused by man is proven a farce and a joke without doubt.
The bankers claim innocence in the money fiasco while we all lose our jobs to Asia.
The stupid Mercury containing energy saving bulbs seem to blip off the map once it was know that if you break one it is a Haz Mat time.
The Ontario Government decides where and when to put wind turbines no matter who objects.
Canada decides it is time to get out of Afghanistan after untold dead and maimed, they called this a successful mission.
Gas is at $1.25 at Litre here while we have a self sufficient supply of oil and then some.
High and I mean very high winds all the time, it used to be no BBQ due to rain, now its "Is it too windy to cookout side today?"
The price of food and goods has skyrocketed here along with the job losses and the cuts in pay.
A nice fresh Hothouse tomatoe will set you back about 4 bucks and that is for tasteless mush I might add.
A Loaf of bread, bag of milk, pack of smokes, you better have your finances in order if you want to eat, drink, and be merry.
Personally I found the past year to be quite interesting here and I hope we don't get a repeat of the same.
Please share your own stories of this year almost gone by.

Merry Christmas to everyone here at ATS!

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Very good rant

I'm in Southern Ontario as well.

Did you post the rant about cheap products? I remember a really good rant from last year where someone (I think it was you) mentioned how all the stuff we buy is complete junk.

You author good rants.
edit on 19-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
For me...I noticed the price of food go up.
Also,its almost Christmas and I still don't need a winter coat yet.
I have had to prolong my winter camping trips until we get colder weather.....by this time last year I had 2 trips under my belt already.

I am in our nation's capital (to confuse Americans,I won't say where that is) and not in Southern Ontario.
edit on 19-12-2011 by DrumsRfun because: I like food!!!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I agree, food was the major one for me. Everything is so much more expensive compared to the other price increases from previous years.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I was talking to someone from the southern states a couple weeks ago and asked what the price of bread was.
Her answer was cheaper then my answer.....I paid 3 dollars and fifty cents for a loaf of bread.
I thought we were better off then the US and we are paying more??

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I agree with so much you have to say here, good rant!
I'm also in the Southern Ontario and it seems like everything is just going up price wise, pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me.

As for $4 Hothouse tomatoes, not sure where you buying your produce from but I've never seen them for that price each or per/lb. I usually get all my stuff from Freshco. You ever bought there? Tomatoes aren't in season now, but in summer months I can get them anywhere from 65c-75c / pound - Ontario product. I always bargain hunt for in-season products.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by Iwinder

Very good rant

I'm in Southern Ontario as well.

Did you post the rant about cheap products? I remember a really good rant from last year where someone (I think it was you) mentioned how all the stuff we buy is complete junk.

You author good rants.

Yes that was me, twisted extension cords and cheap everything from China.
Thanks for the input here and I do like to rant and it is usually with a cause.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I paid 3 dollars and fifty cents for a loaf of bread.

I remember when I first got here (April 07) I was paying around $2.50/loaf of Dempster's wholegrain bread, now it's in the region of $3.50/loaf. Actually, everything has jumped up pretty much in that % range, barring a few items.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I think it depends what type of bread you buy and where. I buy Country Harvest Sunflower and Flax Bread. This bread can cost $2.50-$4.25 depending where you go and if it's on sale. But I can usually get the same bread a lot in the cheaper range I quoted at places like Giant Tiger or similar places that actually carry this brand.

Regular commercial bread (Wonderbread) can go for as cheap as $1.69. That's the stuff that might have L-Cysteine though (derived from human hair in China) so I don't eat that stuff.

You can get cheap milk too if you're willing to go to Wal-Mart or Giant Tiger. Luckily I live close to places like this and can save money by shopping from the evil corporations. At least Giant Tiger is Canadian owned though, but their stores are disappearing.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by Iwinder

I agree with so much you have to say here, good rant!
I'm also in the Southern Ontario and it seems like everything is just going up price wise, pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me.

As for $4 Hothouse tomatoes, not sure where you buying your produce from but I've never seen them for that price each or per/lb. I usually get all my stuff from Freshco. You ever bought there? Tomatoes aren't in season now, but in summer months I can get them anywhere from 65c-75c / pound - Ontario product. I always bargain hunt for in-season products.

Yes it is the tomatoes they sell here by the pound, out of season tomatoes go for lots of money per pound and the ones we buy look really good but every time they taste ok but the texture is terrible.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

6 bucks for tinfoil man!!!
What are us conspiracy guys going to do??

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Damn!!
I was eating stuff made from human hair??

It was actually stale wonderbread I got at the grocery store,the last time I bought it,it was 2 bucks.

I don't do vehicles so its 2 feet and a heartbeat for me here so,I would have to go farther for GT boutique as we call it here.
edit on 19-12-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I think it depends what type of bread you buy and where. I buy Country Harvest Sunflower and Flax Bread. This bread can cost $2.50-$4.25 depending where you go and if it's on sale. But I can usually get the same bread a lot in the cheaper range I quoted at places like Giant Tiger or similar places that actually carry this brand.

Regular commercial bread (Wonderbread) can go for as cheap as $1.69. That's the stuff that might have L-Cysteine though (derived from human hair in China) so I don't eat that stuff.

You can get cheap milk too if you're willing to go to Wal-Mart or Giant Tiger. Luckily I live close to places like this and can save money by shopping from the evil corporations. At least Giant Tiger is Canadian owned though, but their stores are disappearing.

We also buy that bread but to those not in the know.........you must keep it in the refrigerator or it goes bad fast and I mean fast!
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

6 bucks for tinfoil man!!!
What are us conspiracy guys going to do??

6$!
What, do you guys up in Ottawa (oooops - spilled your fun for the Americans now!
) have an aluminum shortage? I paid $3.99 for 100ft of the compliments brand a few weeks ago.

Maybe I should start making some conspiracy tinfoil hats and sell them in Ottawa....sounds like I can make some money!

edit on 19-12-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

True fact: A common ingredient in commercial breads is derived from human hair harvested in China

It might be worth paying that extra dollar next time you're at the grocery store.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Another conspiracy is how they keep rising the price, but shrinking the size!

Anyone see a box of cereal lately?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Shees man, you took the thoughts right out of my mind. I'm pretty damn sure the dempsters bread is smaller now. I wanted to check at the walmart this afternoon but I forgot. I'm going to make a reminder in my BB now and check the next time I'm out shopping. Talk about giving us the short end of the stick.

ETA - The sneaky SOB's keep the cereal boxes the same size, but the contents inside are less. Granted it's labelled correct, but how many people don't pick on that??
edit on 19-12-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

A buddy and I have noticed the sizes smaller as well.
Most people didn't notice it from the people I talked to,until it was pointed out.

My buddy (and fellow ats member) talked to me about it,then he proved it with his ice cream.
It was 2 litres,now for the same price...(I hope I am getting this right) I think it was like 1.86 litres or something for the same price.

Oddly....my cigarettes and beer are the same price.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Speaking about shrinking products let me introduce this gem of information If I may.....
Link
consumerist.com...

Regards, and happy reading Iwinder

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I quit smoking over 6 years ago but I still love my beer.

Beer prices fluctuate but always end up a little bit higher.

They know better than to jack up beer prices too high on us, then they might have a real problem. If they think Occupy Toronto was bad, wait until they see Occupy The Beer Store

<<   2 >>

join