It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Crazy "facts" about Kim Jong Il

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I just came across this article on Kim Jong and thought some of you may be interested on some of the more outlandish and interesting past times of the now late Kim Jong.

My personal opinion on his death is I hope that this can in some way help liberate the North Korean people and lead to peace,time will tell.

The 69-year-old was known for decadent and eccentric tastes and for outlandishly stretching the truth about his personal history and prowess. Here is a look at some of the most famous and controversial facts and fables about Kim Jong Il.

1.)Kim the Movie Buff - Kim was a major film buff, and reportedly owned 10,000 to 20,000 DVDs, many of which were Hollywood films. Some of his favorite movies include the 1980s slasher flick "Friday the 13th," the Sylvester Stallone action flick "Rambo" and the Japanese classic "Godzilla." He was also a major fan of Hong Kong action cinema, according to the Guardian newspaper. And the BBC said he considered Elizabeth Taylor one of his favorite actresses.

2.)Kim the Kidnapper- In 1978 famed South Korean film director Shin Sang-ok was kidnapped while investigating the disappearance of his wife, actress Choe Eun-hui, in Hong Kong. The BBC reported that agents took to him Pyongyang where he was kept in a prison for four years and then released to reunite with Choe. Kim had reportedly ordered the kidnappings to utilize the director and star to revitalize North Korea's film industry. While held in North Korea, the two released seven films, including "Pulgasari," a giant-creature feature in the vein of "Godzilla." Kim is listed as executive producer on all of his films. In 2003, Shin told The Guardian: "Even though we criticized some things, he wanted us to be honest. Others would have been killed for speaking so honestly." Eventually the couple escaped to Vienna.

3.)Kim the Decadent Traveler- Though he rarely left his isolated country, Kim reportedly had a fear of flying, so would always travel by private armored train when he would go on state visits to Russia and China. He reportedly died on such a train Saturday. Konstantin Pulikovsky reported after spending time with Kim on his train that one could "order any dish of Russian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese and French cuisine," and that live lobsters were shipped to the train as Kim trekked Siberia. Meanwhile, an estimated 2 million North Koreans starved to death during the mid-1990s.

4.)Kim the Drinker- Kim was a big fan of wine and the cognac Hennessey. The leader had cases of Bordeaux and Burgundy red wines flown from Paris, according to Pulikovsky, and was one of Hennessey's best customers, reportedly spending more than $800,000 on the cognac per year.

5.)Kim the Golfer- An avid golfer, Kim reportedly picked up a golf club in 1994 and shot a 38-under par on a regulation 18-hole golf course -- including no fewer than 11 holes in one. This would have put the increasingly frail Kim head and shoulders above the world's best, if the state media reports about Kim's game were to be believed.

6.)Kim the Artist- According to Kim's official biography, he composed six operas over two years and also enjoyed staging elaborate musicals. In 2009, the KCNA news agency reported that Kim had directed a staging of "Yevgeny Onegin," Tchaikovsky's opera of Pushkin's classic novel. Kim reportedly said that it was staged to give the North Korean people a "better understanding of the world culture."

7.) Kim the 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy'- Although Kim was born in Siberia while his father Kim Il-sung was living in exile in the former U.S.S.R, the official North Korean account says that the man referred to as "Dear Leader," "our Father" and "the General" was born in a log cabin on North Korea's highest mountain, Mount Paektu, in February 1942. Legend goes that the future leader's birth was marked by a double rainbow and a bright star in the sky.

8.)Kim the Romancer- Although there are no official documents on his marriages, Kim is believed to have only married once, to Kim Young-sook, the daughter of a high-ranking military official. It is believed that he had three mistresses: Song Hye-rim, a film actress; Ko Young-hee, a Japanese-born Korean dancer who gave birth to his sons Kim Jong-chul and Kim Jong-un; and Kim Ok, his personal secretary for decades.

9.)Kim's Theme- Kim's signature song "No Motherland Without You," with the lyrics "We cannot exist without you, Comrade Kim Jong-il! The motherland cannot exist without you!" repeated, is often piped from loudspeakers in the city of Pyongyang.

10.)Kim Goes Hollywood- Kim gained notoriety on the world stage in the early 2000s when North Korea was listed alongside Iraq and Iran as part of the "axis of evil" by the Bush administration.He gained fame in popular culture, however, as the villain in "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone's marionette action-satire "Team America: World Police."

Voiced by Parker, Kim's character was bent on world destruction, but showed a tender side when singing the ballad "I'm So Ronery."

Source

I did not know about all of these,maybe you didn't either,some may be fictitious,either way I thought it was interesting and some of them were amusing.

It points to the kind of lavish lifestyle he was leading meanwhile his countrymen and women were near starving! ouch.

ETA: I meant to post it elsewhere,sorry,Mods move if need be.
edit on 19-12-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

Thank you dear leader for inventing the hamburger, invisible cell phone

hehe.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SkipperJohn

some of these are quite hilarious,all due respect to the dead.
I can only hope his heir makes some better leadership decisions.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectPerception
reply to post by SkipperJohn

some of these are quite hilarious,all due respect to the dead.
I can only hope his heir makes some better leadership decisions.

... or at least has a mind that is more developed then a 10 year olds.
I feel really bad for North Korea although it's a type of social experiment tons of people around the world have wanted to know. What would happen if a child or someone like minded took over a country.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I would love to see North Koreans read these facts. No way would they ever believe them, but it would be interesting.....

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
I would love to see North Koreans read these facts. No way would they ever believe them, but it would be interesting.....

Very good question,I would be curious myself,an attempt to recondition their minds.

new topics

top topics

join