It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question on Kindle Fire video properties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Ok, so If this is the wrong thread, please move mods. I wasn't exactly sure where this should appear. I also didn't see any thread like this in the search function.

On the Kindle Fire, the videos from amazon.com are pretty small. I know that they are 600kbps, from the available data, however I don't know the resolution. I used programs that are supposed to tell, but they come up blank.

I want to convert some videos to the Fire and I want it good on the action scenes like all the fire videos I see. When I do convert, I keep getting pixelation in the heavy scenes.

I can go into the details on the programs Ive tried (profiles and custom profiles) if need be. I really like TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 with my nvidia card, setting up cuda a movie takes 20-40 minutes on my machine. Ive also used handbrake and Nero. I don't really like those two as they use cpu and it takes double real time and I get pretty much the same results.

Any Ideas?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

I have no clue what specs the fire supports video wise.

You mentioned you have an nvidia card. Is it a "cuda" card? If so.........

badaboomit.com...

now I haven't touched this new version, and now it's saying "try for free" so i dunno if you've got to purchase it for full movies (or just know where to look seeing as you are already attempting to pirate video to your kindle.)

It's a super fast video encoder that uses Nvidia cuda enabled GPUs to convert your movies to other formats, incredibly fast. I only used it for converting files for my PsP or Ps3. In the settings you simply select the device you are encoding for from the list and it handles everything just fine for you.

You'll really need to know what formats and specs the kindle supports.

Variable bitrate? (meaning lower compression in slow scenes, higher compression in fast scenes)
constant bitrate? (meaning a single bitrate, usually provides cleaner picture but at a very large file size)
Max resolutions
codecs supported....

Plenty of stuff you need to know to get the best encoding for your device.
---
Brain fart......

Whole different deal if you are converting HD video, though the same apps should be fine. I see a bunch of hits when i search for kindle fire video converters, maybe start with ones specifically designed for the fire?
edit on 19-12-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

i'm getting a Kobo Vox for x-mas but from what I've read/seen I wouldn't even bother trying to convert video for it as it will suck donkey testicles.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the Kindle Fire supports mp4 video, if that is the case, you have literally hundreds of apps that can convert. It really depends on the kindle, if it can handle a variable bitrate encode, that's your best bet as you can reduce the compression (pixelation) on high action scenes while keeping a relatively small file size.

the problem with 1 click encoders is you can't adjust the settings. Try badaboom if you can, you can easily adjust the bitrate with sliders in the settings, dump out a sample, and verify it's not looking like crap.

Keep in mind, it WILL look like crap on your pc once you encode it.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I googled a little. Apparently the resolution is 600 x 1024 pixels and the device only supports MP4 so if your source is not in that format you will need to convert it. Another quick google leads to this piece of software which should do the job for you for free. Install it on your PC, point it at what you want to convert and you should have something at the end that can be viewed on your Kindle. Hope it helps.

Link to free software and instructions:
www.istonsoft.com...
Good luck

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Yes, its cuda (gtx 560ti) its got something like 384 of the little buggers

I don't consider copying my own dvd's to my other devices as pirating, I consider it fair use.

I'll try it as the last time I tried it was a previous version and before the fire came out (converted a lot for my ps3).

Thanks for responding.
edit on 19-12-2011 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

I googled as well, I'm going to try both. I just wanted some different info I guess.

Since I'm not a code monkey, I have to deal with whats out there I guess.

Thanks for responding.
edit on 19-12-2011 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

No worries, 2 heads are better than one and the previous poster has some good points too. I have an iPod touch which is also able to play movies but due to having a slow old PC it's not much fun converting video so I didn't bother, I just use it for music (which is really why I bought it).

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Yeah, I hear you. Its crazy the difference in speed with the cuda cores and tempgenc. over say handbrake.

Hand break takes about 2x real time speed with my amd quad core 955 i think (its the one at 3.0 ghz)

While using the cuda cores with tempgnc, I just did Shaun of the Dead at 19:56 (min:sec). It takes an hour long show (about 45 min realtime) like 12 min. Years ago, when I copied my dvds, it would take over night.

I almost always transcode in constant, i am retrying in vbr and seeing if that improves (and changing the res to 1024x600).

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Very interesting with the vbr and changing to 1024x600 it took almost 35 min for Shaun of the Dead.

Anyway, its cool if this thread quietly dies... or the mods close it.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I don't know if closing the thread is a standard thing but hopefully your questions have been answered. I think you need to reverse those numbers though. The resolution is 600x1024, not the other way around from what I read on wiki.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join