It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Material Possessions Won’t Make You Happy...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Think Before Buying: Material Possessions Won’t Make You Happy, Says Consumer Expert

according to Jim Roberts, a marketing professor at Baylor University...Americans are addicted to material possessions, he says, and his research on consumer behavior shows that consumers are seeking happiness in all the wrong places, leading to unaffordable credit card bills, no savings and in the worst case, personal bankruptcy.

Yes, indeed, greed and the need for shiny objects has caused a lot of people to go under. I can't really argue this fact.

Roberts' simple steps for controlling spending and avoiding debt include:
-Having an emergency fund of $2,500 for the unexpected expenses
-Regularly making investments to a retirement account
-Putting at least six months of living expenses in the bank

It's easy for somebody living in an ivory tower to say. But when 2500 dollars is 2 or 2.5 months worth of salary, that's a bit unrealistic. There's only so much you can work without you being better off being a hobo. There are tons of very well educated people that can't find a job.

I'm tired of this constant stream of calling people stupid and lazy because they can't do anything but tread water. If you're working 50 and 60 hours a week, you oughta be doing more than treading water. Which is something that people like the author of this article can't seem to get.

I'm one of those that is doing relatively okay AND has people in a position to help if something goes wrong. I know I'm lucky. It's not something I did, it's not that I'm inherently better; it's because I'm a normal Joe that has been seriously blessed.
edit on 19-12-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

edit on December 19th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: fixed URL

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
You don't own stuff, stuff owns you. When you own a lot of stuff, you become trapped in your circumstances. If you live lightly with few possessions, you are much freer.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Agreed.
I cut my ties with material possessions a few years back. I realized one day that they are just objects, and i can live without them. I do not need them to be happy.

I have a hobby, which is computers. I have a nice one, but i do not really need it. It doesn't make me happy, it keeps me entertained. Happiness comes from Love. And love is all around us. I love my pets. I love my girlfriend. I love my parents and siblings and my friends. Nature in general.

That makes me happy, and thats what happiness should be. People, not objects.

Its hard to be happy these days though, With so much debt, death, war, corruption, stress. Im surprised there are any truly happy people left.
edit on 19/12/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

And the most insane part of this research is that it's done by a marketing professor.

This guy is part of the reason why people are hooked on material goods...

*shakes head in disbelief*

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
"So that man thought that the important thing was to have, and did not know that the important thing is to be. The true perfection of man lies, not in what the man has, but in what the man is." - Oscar Wilde

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I would disagree as a lack of material possesions may make a person feel like they do not match up to their perceived idea of what a succesful person should be like. They may feel like a failure and therefore become unhappy.

Unfortunatly this is the type of society we live in today where image is almost everything and it takes a strong person to not give a sheet.

Ofcourse I do not think this is right, infact i think this is what is most wrong with western society today but unfortunatly it seems to be true.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Actually, there is a logarithmic relationship between material wealth and happiness, meaning that it does make you happier, but with quickly diminishing returns for greater wealth. This is true both considering individual income and globally.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 19/12/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
Agreed.
I cut my ties with material possessions a few years back. I realized one day that they are just objects, and i can live without them. I do not need them to be happy.

I have a hobby, which is computers. I have a nice one, but i do not really need it. It doesn't make me happy, it keeps me entertained. Happiness comes from Love. And love is all around us. I love my pets. I love my girlfriend. I love my parents and siblings and my friends. Nature in general.

That makes me happy, and thats what happiness should be. People, not objects.

Its hard to be happy these days though, With so much debt, death, war, corruption, stress. Im surprised there are any truly happy people left.
edit on 19/12/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

you also..love....your computer.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
"Material Possessions Won’t Make You Happy" but they help...A LOT!!!

Money will not make me happy?? then why I'm so happy the 15th and the 30th of each month??

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I find this premise a bit off. I do not support it.

While "things" or "money" may not make you whole and complete...it can and does add happiness to one's life.

I am very happy having my really nice house with really nice things inside to make my life comfortable. I would not be happy if I didnt have this house and the all the comforts that come with it and say, lived on the street with nothing or in a homeless shelter. I have lived in and visited some really crappy living environments in this country and other countries. I am very happy I have what I have.

I would not be happy if I did not have a good running vehicle and had to rely on public transportation. Ive been there and done that and hated it. Therefore I am happy I have a vehicle.

My computer brings me happiness. It provides me education, entertainment and social activities.

I think anyone who says that having money or certain things in your life does not make you happy is not being truthful.

Try living in this life with NO money. Then try living in this life with money. Gurantee most will be happier having money
The endless amounts of places you can visit and things you can do (for yourself and others) with money would make anyone happy.

Ive been in both situations and I prefer to live a life with money and things around me that make me.............HAPPY.

However, having love and support of people all around you can complete you. Not having that can lead many to depression, etc.....

Many people with crap loads of money are not happy..........but it is not because of all the money....there could be many factors invovled: their character, relationship problems, mental issues, etc etc.

But on the other hand many people with crap loads of money are some of the happiest around.

Money does not make you complete, but it can bring about happiness!
edit on December 19th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Final Warning

And the walls, come tumbling down...

Materialism is dying...

Woe to those who worship that false idol.

Can you imagine what it will be like to NEVER have to worry if you will have enough MONEY to LIVE?

Because it no longer exists.

Because you are part of a world family.

Because you ARE your Brothers keeper, and he yours!

Time to shift gears and kick this into overdrive. Buckle up my friends. The road will get very bumpy from here on out.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Money doesn't make you happy but if you have enough, then your life is a whole lot easier.

My wife and I have enough. We easily afford our lifestyle. It's not an extravagant lifestyle but we're happy.

We do have some toys but our life doesn't revolve around the next newest latest greatest thing.

Marketing and advertising are trying to get people to feel that they have a need for things.

A recession can really be a good time to figure out the difference between needs and desires.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
the expert is a liar. My 55 inch samsung 3d tv makes me happy. It makes me even more happy when I get to kill a dragon playing Skyrim on it. Hell, I even read ATS on it!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Dude, there's people all over the Internet giving final warnings. Materialism is indeed dying. I just hope that we don't kill each other when our pretty baubles go dead.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Like my grandpa says: Money don't buy happiness, but it sure does help stave off being miserable.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
the expert is a liar. My 55 inch samsung 3d tv makes me happy. It makes me even more happy when I get to kill a dragon playing Skyrim on it. Hell, I even read ATS on it!

You do understand that the expert is the guy making you believe you are happy by purchasing a product?

I don't think he's talking about the essentials to life such as a house. A vehicle if needed. A computer to educate.

I think he's talking about whether your 55inch samsung 3d tv will still make you just as happy when there's a 56inch samsung 3d tv out there, marketed through different channels so everywhere you look you see a 56inch screen instead of your own...until you get home...and you see the commercial for a 56inch on your 55inch.

Or whether your iPhone 4 will still make you happy when everyone and their grandmother has an iPhone 5.

Or whether your car that runs fine still makes you happy when your neighbor just bought a new one.

I don't understand how people jumped to the conclusion that he's talking about the necessary material goods?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Dude, there's people all over the Internet giving final warnings.

I would hope so.

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Materialism is indeed dying. I just hope that we don't kill each other when our pretty baubles go dead.

Some will. The human animal is slow to adjust to change, and doesn't do so willingly.

Not even when it is in it's best interest.

With Love,

Your Brother
edit on 19-12-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

Sarcasm my friend. Well, kind of. I am very addicted to the Word cause.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is the insanity of buying gifts at christmas. People who can't really afford to buy stuff, buy stuff for people who don't really need that stuff.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
There has never been a happier time in my life than when I was 19-23 years old traveling the country working on commercial fishing boats and everything I owned could fit in a single duffle bag.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join