It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do with $1000 to be all-around prepared for economic collapse

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Lots of non-perishable foods, like rice, pasta, heck yeah even ramen noodles
Sugar, Salt
Some big canisters of drinking water
Meds (aspirin etc.), chemicals for water disinfection, band aids
CANDLES
Knifes, essential tools.
Blanket(s), Shirts, Jackets, Pants, Sleeping Bag
Probably a gun

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I don't see how 1.000 $ will get you through an economic collapse...

Sure you can and should get what others posted above. But it won't last for long.

And then what?
edit on 19-12-2011 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Best way to prepare for an economic collapse is to get out of debt and stay out of debt. No credit cards or loans.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AtlantisAgain

I would plan on bugging out to a lower populated area where natural resources will be able to maintain the local population.

What do you think will happen when there is no food in NYC/Jersey? Imagine what people who are starving with nothing left to lose will do ... and the armed gangs or local miltias raiding for food?

will you be able to hold out ore than 90 days while chaos gets sorted out?

I watched a vide on youtube about a family in LosAngles after the collapse. I found it very plausible. Here is the link....

After Armageddon on YouTube

this is the most thought provoking documentary I have seen about the SHTF but the big difference is that this is after a influenza virus whipes out millions...... so this would be mild since much of the population will be alive...much more violent and prolonged as we slide into fudel times

a good watch

edit on 19-12-2011 by fnpmitchreturns because: add content

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
One thing most don't include in first aid kits.....super glue, its good for those hard to close wounds.

If your radio isn't solar power, or windup, for just a few dollars you can pickup a solar powered yard light from most hardware stores. The light itself is not worth much (heck, remove the bulb, or turn it off)....but it is designed for out door use and does contain a solar panel, and rechargeable batteries.

If your alone, even a small mirror is a good idea. If you get smacked in the face with a tree branch, its nice to be able to see if it caused any serious damage.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Investment in properly sealed in mylar dry goods makes for a sound plan as well. two years ago you could buy a #50 bag of rice for 18.40. Now the same bag is 25.60. So if you bought then you made what 25%? but it has to be stored properly in mylar.

Now the truth is the end of the world isnt coming anytime soon. But you will take a beat down from mother nature sooner or later. You saw Katrina. Help just doesnt come when you need it. As much as everyone wants to believe that, it may take 3 weeks to set up a supply chain. If thats the case, I dont have any problem making sure the children in our tiny village get fed in an emergency. The adults can eat ferns and grass for all i care. They deserve the wrath of their own stupidity. I can give them clean water. But children dont know any better. They will get rations and water. Im not rich so its not going to be what they like. It will be what lasts on the shelf. But i intend to help the best I can.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AtlantisAgain
reply to post by getreadyalready

Rice, beans, and salt as well as matches are very important to stock up on. Could eat those alone for a long while and thrive.
Just thought of stocking up on a multivitamin and addition Vit. C.
An alternative heat source, i'm thinking propane gas, is good (can always heat and cook food on the gas-barbeque).

I wasn't more specific on the "alternative heat source" because there are so many variables. I have a fireplace that can heat the whole house, so I just need wood My Mom doesn't have a fireplace, but she is very ingenuitive, and she has fastened a bunch of tin cans and poured some candle wax and created a little fire pit that would work for one night in a real pinch. Propane is a great heat source, but it carries carbon monoxide dangers, so I was hesitant to suggest it, but if someone has a good heater, with some safety precautions, it is a great heat source. I remember as a kid, sometimes we would turn on the oven on cold nights to heat the kitchen.

I'm sure there are other ones that work good as well.

I was debating Spam vs. Vienna Sausages with my brother. The little Vienna's are much cheaper, but they are only 2.5 servings per can, and they only have 10 grams fat and 5 grams protein. The Spam was a little more than twice the price, but it was 6 servings per can, with 15 grams fat and 7 grams protein per serving, so you get a lot more for your money.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I'll check it out

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I would get a good hand pump for the well. Many pounds of dry beans and rice.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Absolutely, no debt here thankfull. Then again, i'm not too materialistic compared to most people. That's one reason why the masses will have a hard time dealing with life when it all falls.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

I don't doubt it. With the 4th Amendment in shreds I can see the SWAT team searching everyone's property with metal detectors (i'm not kidding unfortunately).

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

reply to post by vogon42

I don't doubt it. With the 4th Amendment in shreds I can see the SWAT team searching everyone's property with metal detectors (i'm not kidding unfortunately).

They already know where to dig, their drone with ground penetrating radar had already delivered them their the locations. (You could try capture the drone ;- )

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EartOccupant

reply to post by vogon42

They already know where to dig, their drone with ground penetrating radar had already delivered them their the locations. (You could try capture the drone ;- )

Great...thanks for the info. Darn....now I'm going to have to purchase about 2 dozen red rider BB guns, just to throw them off track.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

Naaaa, just be creative. Put ammo in meat wrappers and hide in the freezer. Put stuff in metal air ducts. Bury stuff away from the house. Put some false bottoms in some toolbox drawers. There are plenty of ways to beat a metal detector. Just make sure your registered guns are in a safe and secure place, easily accessible, so you can comply with any requests and cooperate fully. Don't wanna be a rabble rouser, or premature martyr. Give up the registered stuff willingly.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Water, rice, beans, fats, and sugars; the bear essentials for sustaining life over long periods of time. You can buy very large quantities of these things for very little money and they have near indefinite shelf life. All grasses are edible which is enough provide those necessary nutrients, and best of all they're free. Bamboo would be smart to grow if you are able to because of how fast it grows and its many useful properties. The problem with keeping animals is that you have to be able to keep them watered and fed as well and they can't live on just beans and rice like humans can. It would be nearly impossible to maintain and protect (24/7) a garden, not only because you have to keep it watered, but because of they many people who aren't prepared that will do anything to feed themselves. A rifle would be necessary not just to protect your assets but mostly for hunting. You aren't going to be alone in your suffering so gathering with others to hunt and find food will prove to be very useful in helping protect your own food food storage. Community will be necessary but avoid any that have appointed leaders. But if you seclude yourself entirely you will become the target of others that have banded together. Most of all learn everything you can about edible plants and trapping. You can use that to teach others to do the same thing. Hungry people are desperate people and they wont think twice about taking what is yours. Other than that, pray. Remember the old saying..."Even an athiest finds God in a foxhole" whether you believe in God or not it does no harm at all to pray.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Chickens, a cow, canned food, make a pond and stock with fish, a garden with vegetables which can be used for food (for humans and your animals) and a water purifier, Herbs which can be used for medicine (home remedy stuff), first aid stuff....knives and other utensils which can have multiple uses.... stock up on matches too. I'm sure there's more but that's a start. Oh....and duct tape
(it can be used for so many things....really!)
edit on 12/19/2011 by StealthyKat because: added content

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I can see alot of people will either die from starvation or be killed trying to take some one elses. Canned goods are a short term solution. They run out and at a grand, it won't be much, especially when coupled with trying to by ammo. People really underestimate how fast both of those will go. Waiting until a collapse to do something is stupid. If you're gonna prep, you need to start now, not when things get bad. And you need to do it right. Seeds, chickens, rabbit, water catchment. All relatively cheap and all sustainable if done right. A few hours a week on the net, a printer and some paper would be a great sart. Don't forget, knowledge is the only prep that can't be taken from you.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Buy as much tobacco, alcohol, water and ammunition as you can. With those you can barter for anything else you might need...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
..and duct tape
(it can be used for so many things....really!)
edit on 12/19/2011 by StealthyKat because: added content

Oh yea....you got it!
I can recall years ago replacing a fan belt on our jeep with duct tape....not a perfect solution, but it got us to a place we could properly repair.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
AMMO.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join