It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird Flu: Scientists Develop New Strain Of H5N1, Avian Influenza, That Could Kill Millions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
" Researchers in the Netherlands studying H5N1 commonly referred to as the bird flu or avian influenza have created a strain of the virus that's easily passed between mammals, and it's just as lethal as the original virus."
Why is man so intent on destroying himself?? Don't they have countless varieties of viruses that have already been mutated that make this new strain of flu look like a cold?? Just another weapons application .." It's just a bad idea for scientists to turn a lethal virus into a lethal and highly contagious virus. And it's a second bad idea for them to publish how they did it so others can copy it," Dr. Thomas Inglesby, the director and CEO of the Center for Biosecurity at the University of Pittsburgh said. YA THINK???!!! The beat goes on... and it is just about too late for anything to be done about the those who will desroy you...me and OUR CHILDREN.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by archangel2012

You know what I don't understand is why they are even playing with diseases and fooling around with this at this moment in the worldshistory as if things are not bad enough. What is that all about?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
You know what I don't understand is why they are even playing with diseases and fooling around with this at this

Completely agree.

But one thing i dont understand, is why we let the population get to out of hand, maybe its time we need to be thinned. Either the government does it, or Mother Earth will, shes alive and knows when that time is.
edit on 19-12-2011 by Anishnaabe because: spelling

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I'm so sick and tired of humans trying to play G_d!

Anyone who would rather develop a disease instead of trying to find cures for the ones we already have should be locked up and the key to their cells thrown away.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I fully agree with you, that mankind should not be playing around with Lethal flu's, and deseases. But then again, I guess the scientist arguement would be, that they wanted to study it, so they could further understand the strain, and develop life saving cures. It's very unsettling to know that there are deseases and flu type strains, that once released could wipe out millions and millions of people. Better to be fully aware and ready if anything like that ever got out, invest in very good inhalation devices, keep your distance from people, and be educated about what to do if a pandemic ever did go Global. That would save millions if everyone did that.
I definetly think we are WELL over due for another Global pandemic, its only a matter of time before one strain becomes immune to our medicines, mutates and wipes us off the face of the earth, the deseases are alive and always trying to survive just like any other living thing.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
It is a wnoderful idea for us to publish the results and procedures on how to make this absolutely devastating virus so that we can better inform science as to how it works and how to combat it should it be released. -Sarcasm font needed

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The stupid 'explanation' is that a antivirus can be formulated. The reality is that any mutation is totally random and therefore a antivirus cannot be prepared until the virus is active - at which point it is still potentionally able to mutate.

No doubt the real reason is for it to 'accidentally' be let loose so that the mass culling - I mean innoculation - to take place. Don't have the vaccine.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Every post so far has been misguided. The scientists aren't trying to create a weapon and they aren't just playing with the virus to see what they themselves are capable of. They're studying it so that when it mutates naturally - which it does constantly - the response of the public health community can be more effective.

They induced three specific mutations in the virus, and then by infecting different species under different immunological conditions, two more mutations were found to have occurred in the viruses that successfully infected previously unsusceptible hosts. All five mutations result in a strain of the virus that apparently poses significant risk to humans. Consider this:

All the mutations have been seen separately in H5N1 from birds. "If they occur separately, they can occur together,"

Source

So, is it better to just cross our fingers and hope that this new strain never arises in nature? Because, if each mutation occurs independently in nature, we can be absolutely positive that after some amount of time they will occur together. I think the scientists appreciate the argument that it's dangerous to create dangerous things, but I think it's clear where they are coming from as well: this new strain of flu is likely to become a problem in the future and we will be able to respond more effectively if we start studying it now, rather than wait until after the fact.

Also, it's worth remembering that there are many deadly infectious diseases in scientific labs around the world. So far, the systems in place to protect the public have been highly effective. Furthermore, it's not hard to culture deadly microorganisms cheaply and quickly using things that anyone in a developed country could obtain. However, it's very hard to use these diseases as serious bio-weapons. It isn't like 12 Monkey's where if you just open a vial in the airport the world comes to an end. Recall the anthrax attacks: an extremely dangerous microbe in weaponized form was sent all over the country. Yet, an individual with a firearm could kill more people in a crowded restaurant with little planning than those attacks did, and they could do it much more easily.

There are dangerous things in the world. It's easy to obtain weapons and it's easy to kill people. Attacking these Dutch scientists for making one more dangerous thing (in order to study it) is not productive.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by archangel2012

As the previous poster said, this research is done to protect public health - the BIG problem is, the scientists want to share their results so that all the flu scientists in the world can be on the same page, and not waste any more time or money duplicating others' work from the ground floor. As it stands, all the flu data is owned privately by Big Pharma.

As far as the "dangers" go:

* On-salary scientists routinely create chemicals, compounds and biological products that are dangerous to public health - for industry and their corporate employers.
* Industrial corporations routinely contaminate the environment -and consumer products- with dangerous chemicals, compounds and biological products that threaten public health.
* The only real difference is, salaried scientists are constrained by confidentiality agreements, and do not expect their work to be published to benefit the public.

FYI - Similar flu research was done at U Wisconsin in Madison:

UW bird flu research seen as bioterror threat

A University of Wisconsin-Madison scientist who is an expert on the avian flu virus is under scrutiny because of concerns his new research may fall into the wrong hands.

The scientist is Yoshihiro Kawaoka, an eminent professor of virology in the School of Veterinary Medicine who has done research on H5N1, also known as the avian bird flu. His work and similar research independently done by a Dutch scientist have raised concerns in science journals and on an NBC News report that aired Thursday night that touched on such controversial issues as bioterrorism and scientific freedom.

Kawaoka has created a contagion virus in his lab, a UW official confirmed. ....

Again - these two scientists are NOT the only ones who have done this work - but they ARE the only ones who want to publish, make the knowledge available to flu scientists around the world - and threaten Big Pharma's monopoly.

More background here: Man-made Flu Spreading?

edit on 19/12/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I understand that this was a result of study, but I also can't belive that we're told everything either.

Studying diseases and viruses is still a business. As with most businesses, you're allowed a 5% shrink in regards to your inventory. No business I've ever worked in has ever come back with 0% of its inventory present.

We already know anthrax has come up missing from so-called secure labs.
Can we trust these scientists to work within the constraints of the utmost honesty and integrity? I'd like to think so, but people can be bought off so quickly and/or threatened. Look at all the microbiologists who have come up dead.

If I were these scientists, I would record whatever data is necessary so this strain could not be replicated again, then burn the virus before it could exit the lab through unintentional or "accidental" means.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I like to think about things, mull things over, and try to see what things connect, or contradict, or confirm. If the people who are "really" in charge aren't actually the bumbling court jesters we see in our governments, and are instead some other group we don't get told about, who have more of a clue of what's going on than we do, then it's possible that a virus like this is the only way humanity would survive.

Think about it. Right now, there's a heck of a lot of mouths to feed. If there is a solar maximum coming that's going to fry every piece of electronic equipment, there'd be hell on earth. All those people, sat in the dark, nobody to help them, every man for himself. We'd be eating each other.

However, if you release a virus like this, only the strong and healthy ones with strong immune systems surviving, they'd be forced to get away from the cities, to escape cholera and plague from so many dead bodies nobody could begin to bury them. They'd also be moving away from the soon-to-go-boom electronic way of life, and most things would have shut off long before the maximum, preventing wide scale damage.

Then you've all those empty cities you can bulldoze to build your new Jaques Fresco Utopian society, and a "gone native" society outside the cities to "protect" that society from. My word, it's almost like science fiction writers were trying to tell us something.
edit on 19-12-2011 by TheIrvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

If there is a solar maximum coming that's going to fry every piece of electronic equipment, there'd be hell on earth.

Good point. How would these viruses remain contained in a situation of this magnitude?
They wouldn't.

As soon as these facilities were abandoned, people (unaware of what was inside) would break into the lab to obtain medical supplies such as gauze and disinfectant, then it would be no stopping it. The lab intruders have exposed themselves and would be bringing it back to the people they are trying to help.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well no, that wasn't really my point, but that's maybe my fault for hitting reply too early.

I don't believe that our current western societies could survive the collapse of the infrastructure that sustains them. Unless whatever ends this technological age also kills the majority of us, the sheer numbers of survivors who had no clue how to survive, where to survive, and probably wouldn't want to survive if it meant no more reality tv and McDonalds.With so many people struggling and fighting to survive, something's going to happen and we'll wipe ourselves off the face of the planet.

However, if the survivors were only those strong enough to survive the virus, their small numbers would force them out into the countryside, growing their own food. The scarcity of survivors would, as in business, increase the demand for it, so we'd be less likely to go around shooting each other, and more likely to band together to better our chances of staying survivors.

Then, when the maximum hits, humanity is no longer dependant on that technological way of life, their food is local and not dependant on shipping, and humanity survives.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The only reason the make these ever deadlier strains is so when or iff that deadler strain does come about it is so they already have a vaccine or cure. its not a weapon and it wont get released by terrorists. you would be amazed what they ahve in them uni frezzers smallpoz, pollio, typhoid, anthrax, birdflu, swine flu lots they have had them in labs since the 40's and been working on making vaccines then so i doubt anything will come of it now.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Apologies Archangel, didn't see your thread.

I'm going to be pasting what i thought was my original thread about this, into yours if that's alright with you?

This is too important an issue to leave ANY points unsaid, if there are duplicated points and questions, well...they deserve to be said and asked more than once!

This is NOT a conspiracy, i'd like to make that absolutely clear from the outset folks.

This IS very real, and very frightening and happening right now in at least three locations around the world, possibly more places working in secrecy.

We've all heard of Bird Flu or H5N1 virus right? Back in 2005, you couldn't turn on the TV or open a newspaper without hearing or reading about it.

Remember how deadly this particular strain was, and that it killed 60%, or 6 out of every 10 people unlucky enough to get infected by it.

I have to say, at the time i thought the whole affair was over sensationalised and more or less, just fear-mongering to drum up increased profits for the vaccine business, but now i have serious concerns for the safety of literally our entire species, or at the least a very large percentage of us.

Back in 2005, the virus could only be spread to human beings, by a victim coming into direct contact with an infected bird, usually poultry farmers and workers in those industries. Human to human, or airborne dispersion from person to person via sneezing, coughing and contact didn't happen due to the genetic structure of the virus. So unless you were around large numbers of bird, most of us stood little chance of being infected.

Now that has changed.

Sky News: Scientists create Killer Virus

At least three labs have been actively and criminally in my opinion, working to crack the virus' genetic code, and re-engineer this deadly strain of influenza into a version that CAN infect human beings person to person, through the air!!!

Are these three labs top security government or military bio security labs? NO! They are common or garden Universities, with no high level containment facilities, or more importantly high security in place!

Universities in the USA, the Netherlands and in Tokyo have all been working on this, as unbelievable as that is.

They have effectively made an already dangerous virus, into an unbelievably dangerous virus which now poses significant and present danger to huge swathes of our species.

Why do they say they have done this?

Mr Fouchier argues that any knowledge gained could be vital in the development of new vaccines.

But critics fear it could escape from the laboratory and spread, or that terrorists could use the research to replicate it.

Others have questioned the appropriateness of the work being carried out in a university instead of a secure military facility.

"In case terrorists do it, or if it mutates naturally"

They argue by creating an easily transmittable, mutated version of the virus, by altering two key genes within it's tissues, they can study it to prepare vaccines.

Has the government seized the virus and placed it and the data in a secure place?

NO!

In fact, the Dutch University wants to ACTUALLY PUBLISH THE DATA...and the worry and justification for these irresponsible idiots mutating this virus was what again? That terrorists could mutate the virus and use it as a bio weapon!!

I'd say publishing the data, even with portions missing is a leg up for any would be terrorist looking to do this!

The US National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity is now deciding whether to block the release of the data...deciding?!!

A senior scientific advisor to the US government is quoted by The Independent as saying: "The fear is that if you create something this deadly and it goes into a global pandemic the mortality and cost to the world could be massive.

"The worst-case scenario here is worse than anything you can imagine."

OK, so where is this extremely deadly, mutated GM virus capable of killing many, many millions of men, women and children being stored...a nuclear bunker? A CDC bio containment facility? A military grade security patrolled laboratory?

Nope...in the University basement..locked in a cabinet...with NO guards.

This is very, very frightening folks, the almost total lack of security is amazingly naive to say the least, and is really criminally irresponsible, when the potential for the virus to be accidentally released, if not stolen and sold to the highest bidder to weaponise is very real.

Depopulation may actually really be just around the corner, the once far fetched conspiracy theories might actually be true after all, and an 'accidental escape' of this mutated virus, might just be the planned means to rid the world of 60 - 70% of it's people.

Apologies i didn't see this posted already, i looked by didn't see anything.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
It is said that this recently created virus could kill millions...maybe that is the point.....population reduction... under the guise of studying viruses to improve vaccines.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Yes, exactly caladonea.

My thinking too...unfortunately.

I can't get over that this thread has only received 8 flags and a few stars!

Don't people realise that this 'work' is going on in almost completely unsecured University labs?

This isn't the CDC or the Military or even a high tech Bio corp...it's a University with NO one guarding these extremely deadly mutated viruses...i mean, what the hell is going on here?

As a side note, I cannot believe how fast my thread about this was jumped on by site admin..it was immediate, as soon as i posted, it was closed, literally.

Someone is on the ball...no matter, this thread NEEDS bumpers...please post and bump this up the 'recent posts lists, so more members and visitors can see this and know what is happening right under their noses.

BUMP folks.

edit on 20/12/2011 by spikey because: Added info

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Wasn't there a story out about this a couple months ago?

There was definitely a thread here on ATS regarding researchers creation of a new avian flu...
anybody remember?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

No, i don't remember that...believe me, i'd have remembered if i'd read a story about this!

Maybe it was about the other strain they mutated...the H1N1 'Swine Flu'?

Cheers for posting.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Masks wont protect you, other than biological hazmat suits.

If this is the great depopulation scheme in action, they did it spot on. Using a virus to do it can be the best way, those at the top probably already have their vaccines. Those at the bottom were not killed, but simply succumb too their illness. Either way, we have been long over do for mass extinction so lets get this death train a rolling!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join