It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All in the Southern Hemisphere. The Crazily Bright Star. What is it? PHOTOS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Tripple_Helix

27th of November , Venus was close to the moon.

Venus is now WSW and will be setting in that general area for the next few days.

That's what I am getting here too. Venus should have been just above the horizon at Western Cape, WSW at 21:00 on the 27th of November. (Assuming they don't mess around with your time every 6 months).

edit on 19/12/11 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

That's what I am getting here too. Venus should have been just above the horizon at Western Cape, WSW at 21:00 on the 27th of November. (Assuming they don't mess around with your time every 6 months).

Wow, technology is amazing isn't it!

Thank you. So it is Venus then, right? I can rest assured it's not Nibiru heading straight for my house?
(just kiddin')

And no- we don't have anything like daylight savings here in SA.

One more thing though... WHY on hearth is it getting so bright???
edit on 19-12-2011 by Tripple_Helix because: To add and fix typo

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
One more thing though... WHY on hearth is it getting so bright???

Well, there is a Venusian solar eclipse I've been waiting a few years for now that will be happening on June 6th next year at sunrise.

Those in the US will miss it, but it should look good from... Giza!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
guys, it's pretty easy if you have a smartphone (iphone or android) just download the app SkyView, it uses augmented reality, point the phone to the star and click on it, and the app shows you what it is. You can spot some pretty neat things with it
There are also a bunch of other apps just like this one and they work the same, the results are the same anyway.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

lol- Shame man, sorry that you won't see it.

I still find it very strange how this Planet, Venus, has been continuously becoming brighter over the last two years. It's amazing, and I wish I knew why.

I suppose I'd have to do some serious googling to find that out, and even then, can you really trust what you are reading?

Anyway.. Maybe make a reminder thread about the eclipse next year and maybe have the SH members post their photographs of it?

Thanks for attending my thread.

Much appreciated.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I agree that Venus is becoming brighter...

Strange...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
As people have said, Venus sets a few hours after the Sun, and is very bright at the moment, Jupiter is the other bright object overhead. Venus has a Yellowy tinge, Jupiter has a bluey tinge, cant miss Mars, it has a reddy tinge.
Planets do not twinkle or sparkle, they only reflect the Suns rays, they do not produce light.
Yes, in Adelaide too.
We always have a good Star/Planet display....nice clear skys..

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by kobewan69
I know whatyou are talking about. I've been wondering the same thing while noticing this star being very bright this year. I used skyview on my iPhone to see what it is and indeed it showed up to be Jupiter. However what is weird is that untill this year I have never seen it so bright and big.

Also I'd like to ask you guys, don't you think that in the recent months the moon appears to be a whole lot bigger than usual? I know I might need glasses but to me recently the moon looks very big.

the probly parked it closer than usual.

it's a hollowed out planetoid alien spaceship don't you know? i'm perfectly serious; even some scientists consider this a realistic probability due to the moon's many anomalies.

in ancient cultures the 'gods' were said to come from the moon.

some ancient tribes speak of a time on earth BEFORE this moon came here.

Read: "who built the moon" from amazon.com; or "our spaceship moon" - for some interesting weird facts and anomalies about the moon.

it continues to puzzle scientists, no matter how hard they push the official line of dogma, nothing to see here etc on the not well read....

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
here's a funny fact for you.

in ancient times the moon was called 'sin'.

so, the religious phrase, 'thou shalt not live in sin', actually probably means, 'thou shalt not live on the moon'....

i.e. its the home of the aliens ('gods')

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

That's actually very interesting...

Kind of reminds me of the hollow earth theory.

About the "sin" thing, it could also mean- "moonlight" ie. Living in darkness etc.. I dunno. I'm just blabbing now.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Some day's this site makes me do several face palms. Google sky map or similar would have resolved this question in less than 30 seconds. Failing that software such as stellarium could have been discovered by Googling.

Venus getting brighter?? No it's not, it has always been bright and over 20 years ago, I remember seeing it casting light over the street in the absence of the moon.

'I'm not saying it's the doom star but'...

Oh my days... Face in Palms... again.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1beerplease
its jupiter. keep your eyes peeled for a REALLY bright blue "star" thats suppose to come as a warning to "get ready" for whats coming in december 2012.

I suppose that you are referring to Hopi prophecy?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
I do have a phone that can download apps. Just not sure if I would trust an android app for something like this.

If it's as big as you say it is, it would be pretty obvious to someone if they lied about it.

Download a sky map...
www.google.com...

It's free even. Then you can just ask everyone to verify. Try it!!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapunzel222
here's a funny fact for you.

in ancient times the moon was called 'sin'.

so, the religious phrase, 'thou shalt not live in sin', actually probably means, 'thou shalt not live on the moon'....

i.e. its the home of the aliens ('gods')

Oh interesting you say that. I read in a book that someone's grandmother told her grandchild that the moon had a certain "power" and that it was dangerous to stare at it. (I'd quote from the book, but I returned it!) Then the author told of a dream his son had one night, after which he woke up and found himself at the window or door staring at the moon (as if hypnotized). The time that she told him this was not right around the time this happened, as far as I know. I don't remember it that way. I believe it was something she told him..and then months or so later, that happened to corroborate what she said to him. (What I mean is that she didn't set him up to expect it to happen, making it more likely.)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I live in the Caribbean and I've been seeing this "star" too.

First I though it was a planet because it was very bright and didn't pulsate, so I used GoogleSky on my cellphone and there was no start or planet on that position.

Then I thought it could be a satellite, a space station or something like that, but now I see others than me has no idea wtf it that.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

If it's as big as you say it is, it would be pretty obvious to someone if they lied about it.

The photograph explains that. And when looking at it with the human eye, it actually looks a bit bigger.
I will download the app, when I get a chance.

But thanks to ATS members, we have verified that it is indeed Venus.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Some day's this site makes me do several face palms. Google sky map or similar would have resolved this question in less than 30 seconds. Failing that software such as stellarium could have been discovered by Googling. Venus getting brighter?? No it's not, it has always been bright and over 20 years ago, I remember seeing it casting light over the street in the absence of the moon. 'I'm not saying it's the doom star but'... Oh my days... Face in Palms... again.

I did actually download Stellarium, but being at work- I didn't even have the time to figure out how to set my location or even close the program! (Now you can facepalm) I had to Ctrl Alt Del to open my task manager and end the program from there.

And for some reason Google Earth/Sky keeps giving me hassles. And even if it worked- I doubt I would be able to navigate around it to find a "star" or "planet" (keep in mind I had no idea what it was, other than thinking it was Sirius) how would I have begun to know what to search for?

I did actually use Google. No sh!t. Who wouldn't? But, when I didn't find answers, only questions, I thought I'd ask you guys. Since I am a member.

I really never knew it was so bad to ask for help.
Please forgive me!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
For all the iPhone fans there is a great app called planets.
In 3D mode the app will rotate around with the help of the compass and show you whats in the sky as you move your phone around
It's very cool.
I'm sure that Android phones have a simialar app.

In any case I would get the app and see what planet/start aligns with your mystery star.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

The one I recommended to him does just that.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. I don't have an Iphone. I have the Sony Ericson Xperia 10.
I also need to install a newer version of android on it. I still have the software it came out with.. android 1.8 I think.

I will try the app that DAYNIGHT recommended.

If it isn't compatible with my version of android, I will just ask my boyfriend to install it on his phone.

Maybe this will prevent further confusion

Thanks though

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join