It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just watched a movie and it depressed me...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
This is in social issues cuz its a social issue.

I just watch avatar, and its depressing because i bet if we did find a peaceful alien planet like the one in the movie, we would exploit it.

TPTB would say, "Screw the aliens, lets take their resources" and not care about killing them. Sh*t, they dont even care about their own kind, let alone another race...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by iSHRED

There is a reason why Avatar won number one best selling movie of all time. It has such political influences where Cameron indirectly wanted to tell the audience that governments have been screwing around with other underdeveloped nations for awhile now.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I was going to joke that the movie was Avatar, but I see that's the movie you are talking about.

You are not alone. Just google "avatar depression".

Funny how it affected people so much simply because it was another planet. It is actually what is happening here except the natives aren't blue and they're a bit shorter.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Yeah, pretty much all third world countries are as impoverished as they are because rich countries have exploited them for their natural resources. As sad as it would probably be if we went to an alien planet because we would likely try to do the same thing as what happened in Avatar, the things that have happened here on our own planet are worse than you have ever imagined.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
All I have to say about Avatar: Unobtanium

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Cameron woke a lot of people up with this movie. The big-wigs in Hollywood wanted him to remove the "tree-hugging" element out of it (for obvious reasons) and leave it as just another war movie.

James Cameron Fought Studio Over 'Tree-Hugging Avatar'

I love that movie.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The movie we're all in called "Earth" is far more depressing than Avatar.

Basically the same plot too, moon is the alien base garrison, and the aliens are plundering and exploiting the planet and us for natural resources, while keeping us focused and entertained thoroughly on nonsense.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
MY favorite movie ever!
In fact, the first time I finished watching it, I watched it again!
Don't be sad about it, let it feed your imagination and live from it, sounds corny but it's true.

Best movie! might watch it tonight now
thanks OP

People need to stop thinking it's a lost cause saving THIS planet, they'd feel much better and be able to move forward instead of defeatism dragging them down into the dark.

Yes there a sh1ts everywhere...and most of them run things as they are now, but just remember, ALL tyrants die in the end too.

Peace and hugs from Australia
and chin up mate!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I think it may be more likely that we would be the exploited 'natives' if an alien raced ever invaded us.

I remember a news story last year(?) about a plane full of scientists and biologists that was flying over a remote part of the Amazon. They saw a couple of huts and people on the ground in an uncharted area. An hour later they flew back over and the same people were painted in 'war paint' brandishing spears. I hope that they were left alone. They are people not a social experiment.

I will try and find the link!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Maybe you should watch "The Road" to cheer you up, if you want a more realistic vision of our future.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by iSHRED

It saddened you.

If you say "depresses," then you are referring to a condition that has been going on for at least a few months.

Big pharma popularized the term through advertising so that people would say they are that way at the slightest whim, which exaggerates a temporary issue into something they can profit from.

The problem grows when others hear and use the same language, so let's be clear.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
While Avatar is a good movie I have watched it plenty of time with my children before it was made, but it's called Ferngully.

Seriously if you have never watched it, watch it. It might be a kids movie but it's good.

I'm happy Cameron remade it to appeal to a wider audience and happy to see the point getting across. The only problem is that the big corporations are in charge and the only thing they care about is $.

Pred...

new topics

top topics

join