It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Brutality - 63 Year Old Man Loses An Eye For Running A Stop Sign

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
what load of BS. You people are too gullible. The cops wouldn't have smashed him over if he wasn't resisting arrest, bigtime.
I'm sure you've ALL been pulled over before, right?
Did the cop drag you out of the car and kick your head in?
No?
You obviously didn't assault the cop then did ya?

wake up clowns, police don't smash ya over for NO reason.

Now I know you're gonna say 'what about this incident and what about that incident?'
To which I say "Were YOU there? Does the video have sound? Do you know exactly what happened in the lead-up to the use of force?

My guess is your answer is NO to all of those questions.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by manontrial

It isn't about reasons, it's about overkill. This is an older gentleman and by himself. Unless he was on drugs, which isn't alleged by anyone, he wasn't exactly a hard core fighter. If cops can't over-power a man like this without doing THAT level of damage then at the very least, that alone is enough reason to seek work elsewhere. This is just too much when doing permanent damage just to gain compliance and arrest is considered appropriate by anyone.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by manontrial
what load of BS. You people are too gullible. The cops wouldn't have smashed him over if he wasn't resisting arrest, bigtime.
No?

Now I know you're gonna say 'what about this incident and what about that incident?'
To which I say "Were YOU there? Does the video have sound? Do you know exactly what happened in the lead-up to the use of force?

You don't go out into the big city much I take it.
I have been slammed against a police car for having a soda and a cigarette in a McDonald's parking lot, I wasn't allowed to smoke in my friend's truck. The cop was having a bad day and decided to take some steam out on me and my friend for a while. It happens, quite often.

You're either a troll or 12 years old and have no life experience.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

No?

You don't go out into the big city much I take it.
I have been slammed against a police car for having a soda and a cigarette in a McDonald's parking lot, I wasn't allowed to smoke in my friend's truck. The cop was having a bad day and decided to take some steam out on me and my friend for a while. It happens, quite often.

You're either a troll or 12 years old and have no life experience.

I'm with you on this, Jibby. I, personally, have dealt with a cop on his bad day, and it wasn't fun. I was minding my own business having a smoke walking down the street when he tried arresting me for 'underage smoking.' I went to reach for my wallet to show him I was indeed of age when he ripped my purse from my hands and shoved me into his car. He pulled my arms behind my back so hard I sprained my wrist and nearly dislocated my shoulder. All because he thought I was 'carrying a deadly weapon' and 'underage smoking'. Once we got to the station did he realize just how wrong he was. I actually got an apology from him.

However, that one bad experience hasn't strayed me to believe 'all cops are evil'. That one bad incident does not outweigh all the good the police have done for me throughout my life.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

No?

Totally agree.But you're barking up the wrong tree speaking logically on this subject.A lot of the people here hate cops so no matter what you say you're wrong.I've said it before I've had numerous run ins with police and not once was I beat down.I was even pulled out of my car waiting to pick up friends at a movie theater one time.Simply because of a drug dealing problem in that particular parking lot.They searched my car..and me.Not a once did they hit me..of course,I was respectful.And that's how they treated me.

I have a feeling there's a lot missing from this story.It just doesn't add up to me.I'll wait till more comes out before I say anymore.I will say however,it does seem a bit much IF this was all do to a traffic stop.

ETA : comment from the article :" I wonder if any video or audio record of this incident is in existence. To hear mister one-eye's version of the story, he was just going about his business -- perhaps getting ready to polish his halo and clean off his angel's wings when the mean officer attacked him for no reason. Guess we'll see what happened eventually"

Completely agree with that...and really so should everyone else.The guy's making it sound he did nothing.I suppose it's true he didn't.Only time will tell.

edit on 19-12-2011 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2011 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
With all the stories just in the last six months, how can people immediately jump to police defense?

I mean serious with the woman who called 911, got beaten up, taken to jail, stripped naked forcefully by two male officers on tape, then they kept her that way for hours and hours. Nude and fondled by the male police. But let's all assume it's the victim's fault! Teach him to be walking down the street, teach her to call 911!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
This type of thread sure comes a lot. I think it would be very interesting for someone with time and inclination to put together a thread (or even better a database) listing as many police brutality incidents as one can find, and as well list the positive threads too for an opposite side of coin perspective.

Anyway, these individual stories are disturbing enough, I cannot imagine how big and nasty a thread listing all the incidents would look like...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by IronDogg
This type of thread sure comes a lot. I think it would be very interesting for someone with time and inclination to put together a thread (or even better a database) listing as many police brutality incidents as one can find, and as well list the positive threads too for an opposite side of coin perspective.

Anyway, these individual stories are disturbing enough, I cannot imagine how big and nasty a thread listing all the incidents would look like...

I'll just bet the public would become far more understanding and accepting of the good Police do if they became part of the solution themselves in turning in the BAD ones among them. They know who each other is for who likes hurting people and who avoids it. Who crosses lines and who won't. It's just a thought..but I think it would work.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
What to do when the Police aproach:

Bend over and wait for penetration.

That is all.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoClue206
I walked away for a cop in downtown Seattle that was trying ask me why I was open carrying my pistol. Lucky for me I don't think they try to tackle people that can fight back.
That's the crux of it, these filthy pig whores won't do anything to anyone who can handle themselvbes, becasue they are cowardly idiots with no brain cells.

I hope this guy gets a massive compo pay out, and the filthy whore pig gets sacked and sentanced, and then beaten every single day of his miserable pathetic life. Like EVERY SINGLE PIG SHOULD.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
What I do not get is if Robert Edmonds ran a stop sign in front of a cop, why didn't the police flip their lights on and pull him over right then and there?
And if Edmonds left the scene fleeing from the police in his van....Why didn't they get him when he first parked his car and was getting out of it? That would seem like the most opportune moment to apprehend the suspect.
I mean, why would they let him park his car, get out and walk a couple of blocks before stopping him? That just does not make sense.
And I do think it is quite brutal to beat a 63 year old man in the face...it is brutal and excessive to hit/strike anyone in the head. And obviously quite dangerous to the health of the individual.

Man faces 4 charges: www.tribtown.com...

According to court records, Edmonds is accused of having fled from and resisted Owens when the officer tried to stop him in the two resisting law enforcement charges.
In the battery charge, Edmonds is accused of pinching Owens, and in the attempted battery charge, he is accused of trying to bite Owens.
Edmonds has accused Owens of brutalizing him.
According to Owens’ report of the incident, the officer said he twice pushed Edmonds into a parked car during a struggle in the 300 block of West Brown Street, near Edmonds’ home, when the man resisted his attempts to question him about a report from another officer of a van that had ignored a stop sign.

Why didn't the original officer who saw the traffic violation pull the van over?
And you dont lose an eye from just being "pushed" into a parked car....

There is no sense in this, that is my opinion. There are too many questions. I think parts of this story are missing.... or quite possibly being covered up.
edit on 19-12-2011 by BlueBanshee because: grammer

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Obviously somebody that is no carrying a weapon and pose no danger to a police officer regardless of the reason for been addressed by the police should not end in this type of brutality plain and simple.

As soon I saw the picture it looks to me like the police was in some kind of rage mental state when he did the suspect, injuries like that are mean to kill while venting rage, very troublesome when we don't even know how many of our so call police members this days are actually on some kind of medication for mental health

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Aren't there laws in place for that at all?

I mean on most medications I've seen it mentioning the dangers operating heavy machinery, driving a car etc. So surely ANY of those medications should also DEFINITELY stop the from going on duty as they also drive cars, carry weapons and supposedly "enforce the law".

If that means temporarily suspending an officer thats using a certain cough syrup, so be it. We can't have medicated personell trying to enforce the law.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Aside from the run up to the "alleged" assault, here is what I think happened...

The Police Officer stopped this man to question him about something. The man said something about wanting to get out of the weather (go to his porch) to address whatever it was the Officer wanted to question him about. The Officer did not immediately agree to this request...but the man continued walking toward his house anyway.

The Officer was immediately enraged by this...you know, "don't you turn your back and walk away from me!"...and seized the opportunity to be able to say the "suspect" was fleeing and resisting arrest. So, he grabbed him hard, and swung him into a car...and when the man (probably) complained about the harsh treatment, the Officer decided he "needed" to inflict some pain to convince his suspect to submit - by grabbing the back of his head and giving him a few bangs into the car.

At this point the elderly guy's instinct is to get away from the assault...so he tries to bolt...and gets thrown to the ground and is given a few more head bangs into the ground to finally get him to stop struggling.

My theory is based on what? A combination of instinct, understanding of human nature, and having watched enough "Cops" episodes to be able to guess the possible escalation of events.

I could be proved wrong...but I would bet I am right.

If my scenario was proven to be the correct one? Fire the Officer, and charge him with assault causing bodily harm.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I use to be a backyard wrestler for years, I also have been trained by the state in restraint techniques for my previous jobs handling mentally challenged adults in crisis situations. No weapons allowed, just take down and restraining techniques.

I have NEVER come across injuries like these in my job or with my backyard wrestling hobby. I've jumped off roofs and trees onto people wrestling, hit them with chairs, "slammed their heads" into tables, all in the name of fun, but no one ever got injured remotely close to what this guy did.

In my job we had to take down adults that were sometimes 100-200 lbs heavier than us, and we had to do it without weapons. I slightly injured one guy one time, a small scratch on his back during a restraint in a tight space living room, so I know there's no need for this to have happened to a "120 lb frail 63 year old with diabetes".... this is straight up brutality!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I really hope this does not happen to me or someone close to me.
I mean, if they did something illegal than sure i would agree

If i were getting assaulted by a police officer for doing -nothing- illegal, and because he didnt properly do his job.. I dont really know how i would react,

I have a healthy respect for the officers of the law,
But if im getting my ass beat for nothing, it doesn't matter if your a cop or an MMA fighter, im not going down without a fight.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky

You agree that this man deserved his eye to be taken out for running a stop sign?

I don't care if he did something illegal. He still DOES NOT deserve his eye taken out by a pig. PERIOD.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

Originally posted by AzureSky

You agree that this man deserved his eye to be taken out for running a stop sign?

I don't care if he did something illegal. He still DOES NOT deserve his eye taken out by a pig. PERIOD.

Sorry, thats not what i meant.
I meant a serious crime, if this 63 year old had just robbed someone, even still, should not have been beat up as badly as this, all it takes is a conversation between the cop and him, but the cop reacted without thinking. (which i see a lot of, cops unable to think and just 'doing')

I hope he gets fired and never be a police officer again, its police like him that give the rest a bad name.
edit on 19/12/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
reply to post by Thutmose

Why would a 63 year old man just out of nowhere decide to abandon his vehicle and run from police for no reason? They didn't report his car was stolen, or that he had warrants, or anything other than a traffic stop violation... and he loses an eye?

Seriously???
Had many of people, from all walks of life, all ages and so on run from me when I was a LEO.
The idea that he turned his back on a cop, after a lawful investigation, the Cop has no idea if he is turning around to run, going to get a gun or walking off to go pick flowers.

Don't run from the cops.
The lose of an eye is sad. He should have been compliant.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
You'd think a police officer would be required to say something, like what the problem is, or what the issue is.
Its not. 'turn your back on me and your getting your ass kicked for running a stop sign"
The man was old, and cold, with diabetes, he wanted to be near his home where it was warm and he wouldn't get sick, And since, so it seems, the man was on his own property, and was not inside the vehicle at the time of the incident between him and the police officer,

The police officer is in the wrong. It doesn't matter if he just ran a stop sign. He's not in his car anymore, sure you could have been "just pay attention sir, " because he was visibly old, so why not just give him a warning? Instead of leaving him permanently deformed and only have one eye.

Someone didnt get the nipple this morning, and it was the cop

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join