It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(URGENT) S. Korean military declares emergency alert following death of Kim Jong-il

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

It's more likely that the top generals will try to oust Kim Jong un.

I don't believe there will be immediate effects.
But after the official mourning is over, that's when there is more likely to be a coup. They would have to strike before he gets his feet under the table.
Major clue: that's why there have been emergency talks between neighbouring countries.
Longer term, we don't know. It all depends how strong he is and who has the influence. At least we knew who/what we were dealing with previously.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
And just breaking :

N.Korea test fired short-range missile this morning off east coast - YTN TV

No biggie, for now.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

CNN has reported on their morning show that NK has test launched a short range missile into the east sea- I think they said that AP is reporting. CHINA sends their "deep regards." China is known to be their stongest "ally."

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mcsandy

Here's a link to that:

North Korea Missile Test Reported After Announcement Of Kim Jong Il Death

North Korea conducted at least one short-range missile test Monday, the same day it announced the death of leader Kim Jong Il, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported.

Two South Korean military officials said they couldn't immediately confirm the report, saying to do so would breach a policy of not commenting on intelligence matters.

Both said any firing would be part of a routine drill and have little relation to Kim Jong Il's death. They both spoke on condition of anonymity, citing policy.

Yonhap cited unidentified government and military officials as saying the test occurred off the east coast.

peace

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Maybe his last wish was to be fired into space or something?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Well I've been looking for updates on this story, but so far haven't seen much else except for this:

S. Korea bans its citizens from visiting N. Korea except Kaesong complex
(ATTN: UPDATES with comment by South Korean official)
SEOUL, Dec. 19 (Yonhap) -- South Korean said Monday it will bar its people from traveling to North Korea, with the exception of a joint inter-Korean industrial complex in the North's border city of Kaesong.

The precautionary move came hours after North Korea announced that its leader Kim Jong-il died of a heart attack on Saturday.

english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

Yeah great. That's the way to increase cross border friendship....ban the people from going there! :shk:

I dunno folks, from what I've been reading, Kim-un represents another 50 years to come of tyranny and starvation for the NK people. Pretty sad. I just hope he doesn't get it in his brain that he must outdo his father's "accomplishments", go off the deep end, and attack Japan or SK, or something worse like use a nuke.
edit on Mon Dec 19th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I don't think that there was ever a time in history that so many "leaders" died within the same year...

honestly what are the odds that Kim Jong-il dies in the same year that all the other "dictators" died?

I question things that are just too damn convienient and this is just WAY too damn convienient for the west...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Means nothing. We did too when Kennedy was assassinated. Everyone said we were immediately vulnerable to attack with no President.

N. Korea too now...thats all.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
So what, do they expect NK to launch nukes on them? Refugees bigtime? Or what. More as it becomes available on this...

I'm sure it's just prudent planning on their part. It's no indication that anything will happen, they're just putting their military on high alert so they can be prepared in case anything does happen. It's also a posturing thing, they're letting NK know that they're watching them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join