It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why God Particle Is a Perfect Name For The Higgs Boson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Why God Particle Is a Perfect Name For The Higgs Boson

I prefer to call it The Force—a particle that "surrounds us and penetrates us, binding the galaxy together"—but Czech physicist Luboš Motl makes a good case as to why the Higgs boson should be called the God Particle.

Motl argues that all those scientists saying that God Particle is a bad name just do it mainly because they don't want to be labeled, "a ritual that helps to assure many physicists that 'they're a part of the right community', a classical example of a group think."

He makes some good points, revising all the name alternatives. A physicist proposed the dreadful the evanescent yet essential Higgs boson. According to Motl, that's "long, redundant, smug, hard-to-pronounce, hard-to-remember, arbitrary, and just universally annoying." He is right.

Gizmodo

Well, I don't really have much to add to this article, besides the fact that there is a happy medium between spirituality and science.

edit on 18-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Dec 19 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This is why we're not ready to discover something this powerful.. not only would we just cause more death and destruction but we also are arguing a politically correct way to name something that theoretically exists

edit on 18-12-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Very interesting article!

.....and..... hardon

I hope they don't go with that...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by celebration

First time I ever read about the LHC I thought it said Large Hardon Collider

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

All that wonderful speculation! And yet the truth appears to be rather more mundane:

Leon Lederman, a leading researcher in the field [of particle physics], once dubbed it the “goddamn” particle, because it has proved so hard to isolate. That name was changed by a sniffy editor to the “God” particle, and a legend was born. Source

By the way, I think the Origins & Creationism forum is the wrong place for this thread. I am going to ask the staff to move it.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

top topics

join