It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did I just photograph a UFO at the park??? [This is a well known photographic effect and NOT a ufo]

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

Not always!

If a picture doesn't have provide a light source for every object then Lens Flare can be thrown out in many cases.

Take the OP's examples. Crop out the bright artificial light sources. There, and voila! Now a person came claim the lens flares as a "UFO".

Alternately, the photographer can do some "in camera" cropping, merely by framing his shot in such a way that the light source(s) is(are) not in the photo.

This is the basis for many of the lens flare-type claims that infest this field of study.....whether honest mistakes, or intentional hoaxes.

edit on Mon 19 December 2011 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Great post, very informative, thank you.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Shame you should have to post a thread like this.

A reasonable person would say, "I didn't see it in reality. It's probably just something to do with the camera."

Some people are just so irritatingly intent on searching for things that they "find them" where they are not. To be generous, they rush things and leave common sense out of the window.

If I saw something like that in my picture, I'd have retaken the photo and been done with it. If you don't see it with your eyes, what is the camera supposed to 'see'? It's all light, unless you have bad eyes.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Congratz, you know how a camera works..

How about the ancient civilazations that drew and painted these ''ufo's''. Lens flare?

Answer that, my dear photographic lord..

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

You shoulda waited for a few pages of the inevitable "whoa this looks like the real deal, ignore any debunkers who come this is a real ufo" blahblah before editing your post with what it really was, woulda shown your point a bit more, but you mighta got banned lol. Now the "believers" will just claim they wouldn't have fallen for this when they probably would have.

But yea, I agree there are so many people who are so ignorant of things like lens flare and what not who will defend a "ufo" picture with their life just because they want to believe and call anyone who shows them otherwise a "sheep" "disinfo agent" "ignorant debunker" yadayada. The worst are the nasa space footage lens flares that people try to claim are niburu or giant spaceships, ugh.
edit on 19-12-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by BULLETINYOURHEAD

To help out all those people so desperate to capture a UFO that they forget to think logically. Well done OP.

Wrd. It was nice to see "this is not a UFO"

Funny how that makes some people mad, lol. Look, on the roof.... its a gulla bull!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BULLETINYOURHEAD
Well I geuss you didn't then, why even ? bother

I think it's a good way to explain lens flare. I found it informative. Thanks

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. Yes, there are many, many people who believe any anomaly that is recorded by a camera must be a UFO. Lens flares are quite often submitted as "UFO Photos".

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Instead of arguing about a "TITLE" on this thread.. look at what the man has written ... god, seriously i just wonder how old most of you are.

Nice post F+S

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
edit on 19-12-2011 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
yea...most of the time ufo's aren't anything but a camera effect or a unidentified real aircraft.

But then there are pictures of unexplained things. the real deal.

Thanks for debunking a common effect mistaken to be a UFO.

But there are still unexplained things going on.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading your post. What happened to a civilised discussion on matters that interest us all? Put the knives away ats people and enjoy this free conduit for our thoughts and ideas, it may be a distant memory one day?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Pianopraze,you should have posted the first picture in the paranormal forum.It would have gotten a lot of praise and everyone would have commended you to no end on the 'paranormal orbs' you managed to photograph.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Yeah, thanks for bringing me back to week one of digital media class. Nice, so there are a lot of faked pics?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
great thread OP.

all these time while i see pictures of this kind, i didn't think of it that way. An eye opener and very logical.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Nice and informative thread. S&F

Lots of other examples can be seen here: UFO misidentifications: Lens flares samples

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Although i apreciate the OP's post i really dont see how it is all that informative.It might be just my view that lens flares are just too easy to identify.In general i believe that about 99% of the people posting here with a lens flare in a picture claiming or asking if or that it is a UFO know this themselves full well.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by titzycronulla

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading your post. What happened to a civilised discussion on matters that interest us all? Put the knives away ats people and enjoy this free conduit for our thoughts and ideas, it may be a distant memory one day?

my thoughts exactly.
geezl people why get so hostile?
personally, I appreciate the thread, nothing wrong with explaining things in black and white.
nice thread OP...

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a merry xmas

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Just come across the thread and wanted to say what a great op and explanation on how simple angles, lights etc can fool the eyes in a picture, and make it look like something its not. A few good sites out there that explain how flares as well as focus etc can affect a photo's outcome and are so often mistaken for ufo's.

www.caelestia.be...

and just google lens flare and flick to images and you will see 100's more examples of pictures and some that people could confuse with ufo.

I just don't understand some of the hostility in this thread to be honest, it was like reading a script from a day in kindergarden

The OP clearly states what it is and what he is doing and why he done it, or do people just not read now a days and just look at the pretty pictures??

edit on 17/1/12 by ronishia because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join