It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latin Translators

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Ladies and Gents . I'm working on a little project that requires some very detailed Latin sentences translated . Could any of you pass along which Latin translation sites hold the most in depth info of the less common phrases used to decipher what I am working on ? I have tried a few already but some of the sentence structures cannot be done . Whether there are some slang variations used that cannot be translated it is looking that way .

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have .

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I would suggest you visit an old Monastery or something, a lot of monks are fluent in Latin, not too many people with fluent abilities around these days. I've tried translator programs and sites before, and I also re-translate it, to see how it re-translates and most of the time it's jumbled up or the meaning is different, I speak fluent Spanish, and that helps me out a bit because it is a Latin based language, still, Spanish is Spanish and Latin is Latin.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This is the best one I can think of. When I get stuck on some of the sentences in my Latin class this is where I turn to for help.

www.stars21.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Being close to a Monastery would be nice , being able to borrow the monk would be even better . Have a spare room and all the fixings , he may get corrupted and we wouldn't want that . He would be asking for the plane ticket back home .

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Send it to any college with a decent classical language department.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Post a link here. I know a *VERY LITTLE* Latin, but my husband took several years of it in high school. That said, it's probably not enough for a long and complex Latin text... but I can work through some of the nouns and adjectives structure and he knows more about structure and the bazillion verb declentions.

I generally sort of "brute force" my way through Latin, so I'm good for very short stuff.

If it's a LONG piece, get a copy to someone in the classical languages department. You can photocopy it or send images; nobody expects you to show up with the real thing unless you're taking it to a museum to verify its authenticity... and then they won't take it from you. My paleontologists do not take the fossils they're examining out of the sight of the person who brings them in.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Thanks again all for the leads . Not like it is going to be marked / graded for class .

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I have a free program I downloaded somewhere once years ago for latin translation, but I doubt it will do what you want. I could u2u it to you (if that's not against T&C) but I think if it's as complex a translation as you say, you'll need human help with it. Maybe, as others mentioned, you could take it to a local university and find a professor or graduate student studying Latin, assuming you live somewhere that this is possible.

For example, you could perhaps try emailing somebody like this guy here: www.ualberta.ca...

I took a classical history class from him, and he's an expert in Latin, to the point where he did the first proper translation of the Malleus Maleficarum into English.

edit on 19-12-2011 by DragonsDemesne because: added stuff

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

If he is still in Edmonton , that is just a few hours drive . Thanks tons .

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Use google translator, and also try livepersom.com/experts for their human based translation services.

top topics

join