It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disc Drive problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
My computer is having problems reading blank disc. When I stick a blank disc in it says there is nothing in there. I bought a new Plextor dvd/cd writer, and sometimes it still does not recognize the disc at first and I have to reinsert and jack with it. Somebody told me to do some sort of check that I tried, but forgot what it was called. I was able to write several things to disc with my new writer, but sometimes it still telling me to put a blank disc in when there is already one in there. I have three different brands of blank cd's so I think the problem is somewhere in the computer.

What can I do to make it read blank disc? Any ideas on what the problem may be?

I bought a Plextor-PX712. Is this good, decent, or crap? I was in a hurry and the computer store is kind of far away so I just went to best buy.

Thanks.

[Edited on 9/8/2004 by panchovilla]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I do not have a definate answer... But I had this problem with a CD-RW years ago. I just bought a new one, and all was fine.

Maybe it is faulty? I can't see it being anything to do with your *computer*. Maybe it isn't compatible with the burning software you're using?

At a long shot... Did you give you a Driver/Software CD?

The only other thing I can say, is check your IDE cables - maybe replace them. I can't see this being the cause though.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Yea, it came with the plextor dvd writing software which has roxio music center and some other stuff. Are IDE cables the same as the same as a ATPI cable? I am thinking about switching it out. There was a new one in the box.

Well it works after I reinsert a different blank disc, and/ or hit "ok" to the insert a blank disc a couple more times. Even when there is already a blank disc in there.

I think the person told me to do an ASI check. Ever hear of an ASI check if so how do you do it. I tried to do it, but don't think I ever actually did it.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Hi there
You mentioned ASI. Are you sure you don't mean ASPI? ASPI is software that works in association with your burner software to assist with drag and drop. You should try out the Plextor site (or cdrinfo web site) to get any firmware update that may be applicable to your burner.
Cheers

new topics

top topics

join