It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orange Avenue shut down, bomb squad called to check vehicle downtown

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

HAHA no, it was in vail, colorado.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Just recently, the bomb squad has positioned a robotic bomb-detection unit nearby. Still, no nearby buildings have been evacuated. This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates.

link

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

What about this story so far constitutes a "vigilante approach"?

edit on 18-12-2011 by blargg because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by blargg

I thought it was pretty obvious, but I can help point you in the right direction

vig·i·lan·te  

noun
a member of a vigilance committee.
any person who takes the law into his or her own hands, as by avenging a crime.

The perpetrator of this stunt went out of their way to cause a public scare. He left a worrying message on a trailer on a busy street in broad day light with a bow wrapped around it with the words "open at your risk." written on it.

This must qualify as a crime in Florida, therefore he took the law into his own hands to avenge what he believes to be a crime. This is vigilante justice regardless if there is a bomb or not.
edit on 18-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Who has been avenged?

So far this is not even a protest, it's just a parked trailer with writing, and a bow on it.

Open at own risk? Ever seen a protected by Smith and Wesson sign?

Maybe the owner lives across the street?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

You must have missed this post. To add to that, you must have also missed the posts that discuss what is actually written on the trailer. At the very least the perpetrator could be charged with mischief.

This is not like the vigilante justice you would write a movie about, but this person clearly has an agenda, at the very least they plan on putting some fear into the public.

You may not agree, and I'm not going to nitpick over something so obviously clear, but this is definitely a form of vigilante justice (in my opinion, and the definition seems to back up my opinion as well).

And yes, this could very well be some dude who lives across the street, anything is possible, it could be Elvis for all we know, but the circumstances are suspicious enough to call the bomb squad.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

The hospital is about 1.5 miles away on orange ave.
The neighborhood is not that bad where the truck is parked it's a typical downtown area.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I did read it and I stand by my point. I know what vigilante means lol.

I might be wrong obvioulsy, but to jump to something being 'vigilante justice' when we have no idea why it's parked there is a bit premature.

Nothing has happened. No one has been avenged. It's parked next to the Sentinel newspaper office, what have they got to do with Ritalin? If it's a protest why has no one called in to get attention for it? If it's a bomb why would blowing up the Sentinel offices help?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
There is a development in the story.

Orlando Fire Department tell News 13 it is a 16-foot white trailer with red lettering. It's in front of the Orlando Sentinel property, with flattened tires and no tags.

There is writing on both sides of the trailer with anti-government messages. Also written on it: "open at your own risk."

Underneath the trailer is a black box with wires attached.

Camden Apartments in the area has been evacuated while the bomb squad investigates. Orlando Sentinel employees have been told to move to the east side of their building.

www.cfnews13.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Just to be more clear, my first mention of vigilante justice was hypothetical. I kind of got caught up in justifying "vigilante justice" for the possibility of the trailer having a bomb that I kind of forgot to emphasize this is was all speculation at the time.

Just now they found a box with wires, perhaps it's completely innocent.

You're right, as of now nothing has happened. But this is starting to look more and more like a vigilante scenario, in my opinion of course

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
You're right, as of now nothing has happened. But this is starting to look more and more like a vigilante scenario, in my opinion of course

Lol not going to argue, but even if it's a bomb it's not vigilante justice unless someone was avenged.

That means the person who was responsible for the act is punished in some way.

A bomb outside of a newspaper offices is not avenging anybody for Ritalin.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

I did read it and I stand by my point. I know what vigilante means lol.

I might be wrong obvioulsy, but to jump to something being 'vigilante justice' when we have no idea why it's parked there is a bit premature.

Nothing has happened. No one has been avenged. It's parked next to the Sentinel newspaper office, what have they got to do with Ritalin?

[url=http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ed-darryl-owens-adhd-challenges-1020101022,0,1731538.column]

came across a troubling example of that this week while browsing The Globe and Mail website. The piece chronicled how prescriptions for Ritalin and other stimulant drugs for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Canadian children younger than 17 had skyrocketed more than 43 percent since 2005.

Inbetween these two articles are plenty more published by this newspaper about Ritalin. Various dates. And you wonder what the newspaper has to do with Ritalin?

[url=http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/sns-bc-us-med--adhddrugs-adults,0,1661871.story]

CHICAGO (AP) — The biggest study of its kind says Ritalin and other drugs used to treat attention deficit disorder are safe for adults' hearts.

edit on 18-12-2011 by supine because: typo

edit on 18-12-2011 by supine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

I'm not sure if you know or not, but the links aren't working.

Thanks, now I can cop and paste the URL

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Ya check out this thread by Domo1
Look like somebody is paying attention

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The use of antidepressant and psychiatric drugs, particularly among children, is an extremely risky activity that could have fatal consequences for both the individuals that use them, as well as their friends and family. According to the National Post, a Canadian judge recently ruled that the extreme mind-altering effects of the antidepressant drug Prozac were in large part responsible for causing a 15-year-old boy to thrust a nine-inch kitchen knife into one of his closest friends
edit on 18-12-2011 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

You also want to check out this thread
Parents told to medicate kids with ADHD
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just do a sreach for ADD/ADHD SCRARYor what
edit on 18-12-2011 by Trillium because: Add more info

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Oooops! Don't know what I did wrong, anyway the snipets are fine enough for anybody to figure out that this newspaper publishes quite a bit about ritalin. All one has to do is look up the paper and type ritalin in the search engine.

Who knows? Perhaps the trailer was parked outside because of this. Or, how about just the fact that it's right outside a newspaper makes it news worthy?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Update from the link in my OP.

The bomb squad has been on scene for several hours, and Orlando firefighters also have responded.

Sgt. Vincent Ogburn of the Orlando Police Department said authorities aren't sure how long the trailer has been parked at its current location.

Ogburn said the trailer's tires are flat and a cable is securing it to a palm tree on the east side of Colonial. He said the trailer does not have a tag.

"We don't know that it is targeting the Sentinel," Ogburn said. "It just happens to be where it [the trailer] is parked."

Jennifer Pham, a resident of the nearby Camden apartments, said she first noticed the trailer across the street earlier this afternoon, and it was covered with some kind of tarp. Later in the afternoon, though, she noticed that the tarp had been removed.

The bomb squad has positioned a robotic bomb-detection unit nearby. This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates.

Hmmmmmmmm

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I do find it odd that the tires are flat, and that it's chained to a tree, so it was placed there with purpose.

I hope there really isn't a bomb attatched!

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

Another detail that I found suspicious was the fact that the lady never saw it until today, and it was covered in a tarp earlier. There obviously is a purpose to this van with the writing and the suspicious activity. Let's hope it's just to get a message across, and not to blow things up.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
If you look carefully..

you can see the tarp on the ground behind it...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Twitter says it has been deemed non hazardous.

Part of me thinks this might have been a publicity stunt by The Sentinel.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join