It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad battery?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I've got a 91 Honda Accord. I don't understand what's wrong because the battery is only about 8 months old, but I got it from a Firestone (dunno if that matters, but thought I'd include). Anyhow:

My car sat for about two months or so, or I'd drive it for a little bit. We took it to a shop to get an oil change, and then I drove it around about 40 minutes. I came home and parked it. It's sat for about another 2 months.

Had to get a jump off the other day to go to my sister's house about twenty minutes away. I got there, let it sit for a few minutes, and then tried to start it: the lights would come on and so would the heater, but it wouldn't crank. My brother in law jumped me off, and I drove back twenty minutes. When I got home, the thing was completely dead. As in, so dead that my power locks and windows don't work.

Any ideas as to what's wrong?
edit on 18-12-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It's probably your alternator. That's what it sounds like.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
We ran into a similar problem with a pick up truck. The battery would drain overnight repeatedly. Same thing happened when the battery was replaced with a brand new one. It turned out that the problem was a switch for the glove compartment light bulb was stuck in the 'on' position, effectively continually draining the battery.

For the longest time we were stymied because we knew that every possible accessory was turned off -- except for that bulb, which was not visible to us with the glove compartment door closed.

Hope this is your solution!

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

You need to charge your battery until it's fully charged - that's your problem. The alternator is basically there to maintain the charge, not to recharge the battery. Get a charger, let it charge, and problem is done. Sitting and short jaunts will kill a battery. You may end up replacing it if you let it discharge completely.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
hi op

another clue to the alternator beaing buggerd
is the battery symbal on the dash stays on even wen the engine is running

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Make sure the battery connections are TIGHT!!

If they're loose you get exactly your symptoms because when you switch in the starter motor several hundred amps will flow and it'll cause a loose connection to fail, Lights and all the other bits will usualy not be affected.

An Alternator WILL charge a battery and it'll do it faster than most chargers.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It could be the alternator, or your battery is not taking a charge. The plates will sulfate quickly if the battery sits without a charge.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It sounds like there might be a short somewhere.

My car has a short where it will randomly sound the alarm if engaged or turn lights on inside (we fixed this by pulling the fuse for that area, no stereo, but battery doesn't die while parked at the store anymore).

You can also have the battery checked, this is almost always a courtesy check (wal mart, sears, firestone, all three of those places in my area will do it for free whether you bought the battery there or not). That will rule out the battery.

The alternator is supposed to maintain, but its also (if you let it run for a bit or go on a long drive) charge the battery. Not a fast thing, but its supposed to have a surplus to recharge while using electricity.

I would check the light in the glove compartment, its easy, just remove it and see if it still drains. (you can keep the bulb in there so you don't loose it)

www.youtube.com...

Watch this video (its about how an alternator works), its very good and gives you the main reasons why they fail and if your not a kluts, you can take it apart to check. (and if you don't feel comfy with that, there are mechanics)
edit on 18-12-2011 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

The fact that it runs when jumped means that the alternator charges and that is why it runs once jumped. When it doesn't start, ever, after being run for several minutes means the battery is dead. Probably the battery was not good in the first place, and you didn't help it any by running it regularly.

If that type of operation is typical--only ever once in awhile--put a trickle charge on it. They are cheap and keep the battery fully charged. systems on your car, such as the clock, will drain the battery over time if not started regularly.

To be clear. The battery is defective, not the alternator.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'd get a new battery if I were you. Brand new with a warranty. Make sure all your wiring is tight. From the battery to the alteranter to the starter and wherever it grounds. If the problem continues, get a new alternater at that point. Make sure your spark plugs are good and tight as well.Problems with vehicles very seldom start at the top. In other words, what you might think is a major problem will end up being a small one. If the small one isn't fixed it will eventuallty lead to bigger problems down the road.

Even if you don't use that car a lot, start it and let it idle once a day anyway. A car is full of parts that were designed to be used, and if they're not being used you're going to end up having problems.

Hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Undo the negative terminal . connect a voltmeter 20v dc between the terminal and the negative cable. see if there is a draw on the battery. If there is a draw on the battery pull each fuse one by one until the draw stops. If you pull all the fuses and no change in the draw then pull each individual relay until you find the relay that is causing the draw. Then trace the circuit and find where the dead ground is or short.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Here is a video of how to do what the poster above suggests

I don't know about your particular model of car but most modern cars drain power when sitting idle and 2 months seems like a long time to me, so it might not even be a fault at all.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
WOW something similar happened to me last week.

My car sat for about a month and my battery was only 11 months old. I drove it to work Thursday for the first time in a month and when I got out it was dead. Nothing! I had it towed the next day and just found out what it was today. It turned out to be the electrical connector to the battery. I knew they weren't great so that didn't surprise me. I have a 98 Mustang. I have had it for four years and this is the first problem I have had.

Funny thing is I added roadside assistance the day before when I renewed my tag and insurance. Who knew I would need it the next day! My tow was free and it would have been 200 bucks...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
The fact that it runs when jumped means that the alternator charges and that is why it runs once jumped.

No it doesn't.

You can put a fully charged battery in a car with no alternator even installed and it will start and run. For a while anyway, until the battery runs flat.

To test if the alternator is working (with a car that age), once it is running, disconnect one of the battery terminals. If the engine dies, the alternator is not providing any power. If it keeps running, then your alternator is providing power.

Another thing that may be the problem is a short draining your battery. To test for this turn the ignition and all appliances in the car off (when you know the battery is fully charged). If you have appliances (such as a clock) that normally use power when the car is not running, pull the fuse(s) out. Disconnect one of the battery terminals and then touch the cable onto the battery terminal (preferably at night). If it sparks, you have a short circuit somewhere and that is what is draining your battery.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I don't know about your particular model of car but most modern cars drain power when sitting idle and 2 months seems like a long time to me, so it might not even be a fault at all.

That's true.

If your car is going to sit around for that period of time, you are better off getting a deep cycle battery. They are commonly used for marine applications for this reason. They will still go flat after time, but they will not suffer as much damage as a standard car battery when they do so.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

If you haven't a short/drain occuring then it is likely your Voltage Regulator and your car was running off of the battery alone.

....this is what monitors the battery voltage and subsequently the amount of current sent to it while the alternator is turning in order to keep the battery charged.

The Voltage Regulator is inexpensive and It is part of your Alternator and was apparently failing which lead to the old battery dying....usually most shops will test the viability of your charging system....what did they say ?

Peace

new topics

top topics

join