It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2011 Has Had More Billion Dollar Weather Disasters Than Any Other Year On Record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Search for this; "2011 has had more billion dollar weather disasters than any other year on record"
and you'll find that The Weather Channel" pulled the video from their site.

I guess they want to discourage people from seeing the trend in disasters is rising.

After all, they said last year was the deadliest in a generation.

It's Official: 2010 Deadliest Year In A Generation: Meteorologists
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now 2011 tops it.

Q: What will 2012 bring?
A: Sorry, I pulled my own answer for your safety...

WASHINGTON -- America smashed the record for billion-dollar weather disasters this year with a deadly dozen -- and counting. With an almost biblical onslaught of twisters, floods, snow, drought and wildfire, the U.S. in 2011 has seen more weather catastrophes that caused at least $1 billion in damage than it did in all of the 1980s, even after the dollar figures from back then are adjusted for inflation.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration added two disasters to the list Wednesday, bringing the total to 12. The two are the Texas, New Mexico and Arizona wildfires and the mid-June tornadoes and severe weather.
NOAA uses $1 billion as a benchmark for the worst weather disasters.
www.nola.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
There has only been 2 days in 2011 with no sunspots too.
The sun has been very active and our weather patterns are a direct result of it. Geo-engineering attempts aren't helping, the sun is way beyond our abilities to control and 2012 is going to be an interesting year for weather if you go by the solar cycles and predictions that this next one will be more active than previous ones.

I have stored foods and a power generator just in case, but an EMP would render my generator & autos useless. I advise people to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, it's better to have things and not need them than to need them and not have them.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I have stored foods and a power generator just in case, but an EMP would render my generator & autos useless. I advise people to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, it's better to have things and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Keep your car and generator switched off (ie open circuit) before an EMP and they will work perfectly afterwards.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I knew I should have grabbed it before they dumped it. Oh well.

And how about that interesting "Weekend View" logo they have. Three squares corner to corner forming a triangle:

I know this has nothing to do with the subject of my thread, but somewhere under the surface of my pea-brain something tells me the MSM propaganda machine doesn't stop at the front door of The Weather Channel. So what's up with that symbol. Masonic? Mathematical. Just a nifty triangle thingie?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
stupid measuring it in terms of financial cost, erm little thing called inflation?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Thanks to a link from someone who wishes to remain anonymous I can present this info re:

Weather Channel: NWO/Masonic/Illuminatti connection?

Even the Rothschilds Are Weather Obsessed
By Shira Ovide
JANUARY 31, 2011, 2:40 PM ET
blogs.wsj.com...

Evelyn de Rothschild and Lynn Forester de Rothschild said they are buying a majority stake in weather-data service Weather Central L.P., marking a significant expansion of the Rothschilds’ investments into media and information.

The couple’s private-investment company, E.L. Rothschild LLC, is slated to acquire 70% of Weather Central, which provides weather forecasting services and graphics to local television stations and TV programs such as ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

Ms. Forester de Rothschild, a former telecommunications executive and a prominent Democratic fund raiser, is CEO of E.L. Rothschild. Evelyn, her husband, is chairman of the investment company and was chairman of the NM Rothschild & Sons investment bank until 2007, when he cashed out his investment. His cousin, Baron David de Rothschild, now runs the investment bank.

E.L. Rothschild also holds the couple’s investments in the U.K.’s Economist Group and agricultural company FieldFresh Foods, majority owned by India’s Bharti Enterprises.

“We have been looking for an investment to partner on an operating basis — as we did with our investment in agriculture in India and with the Economist — since my husband sold his position in NM Rothschild,” Ms. Forester de Rothschild said in an interview.

The remaining 30% of Weather Central will be owned by the company’s management, including CEO and founder Terry Kelly, who will continue to oversee the company.

Financial terms of the deal weren’t disclosed.
blogs.wsj.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
Search for this; "2011 has had more billion dollar weather disasters than any other year on record"
and you'll find that The Weather Channel" pulled the video from their site.

I guess they want to discourage people from seeing the trend in disasters is rising.

If they wanted to discourage people from seeing it, why would they put it up in the first place? Also, an increase in billion dollar disasters does not equal an increase in disasters. There are many factors which influence the cost of a disaster. The main one is probably the population in areas affected by the disaster, so with an increasing population, it would be quite unusual to see anything other than an increasing trend of billion dollar disasters. There are many other factors that can influence the cost of a disaster (even if you take inflation into account), meaning cost is not an effective way to gauge actual trends in disasters.

After all, they said last year was the deadliest in a generation.

Now 2011 tops it.

The video does show meteorologists reporting the deadliest year in a generation, and it was almost entirely due to... an earthquake. The Haiti earthquake was a massive disaster, which was certainly exacerbated by the construction and housing conditions in the area (compared to a similar quake in Christchurch NZ, the Haiti quake had far more deaths). And as far as deaths go, 2011 does not come close to topping last year, even with the Japan tsunami.

But since this thread is based on weather disasters, it's not very useful to establish a trend based on an earthquake last year. Or for that matter, disaster costs. Sure we can establish trends from such data, but we must also understand that these trends are not entirely caused by an actual increase in disasters. I'm not saying that there has been no increase at all, but that the data presented does not necessarily prove this.
edit on 18/12/11 by Curious and Concerned because: shpelling

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I'm not saying that there has been no increase at all, but that the data presented does not necessarily prove this.

I'm not presenting proof. I am presenting evidence.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
just sit back and enjoy the show. its going to get more entertaining now that methane, that was once safely locked away in permafrost, going to do its part accelerating the warming of the planet.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I'm not saying that there has been no increase at all, but that the data presented does not necessarily prove this.

I'm not presenting proof. I am presenting evidence.

Indeed. The evidence shows an increase in the amount of monetary wealth that is affected by disasters in the US. This is of course, the expected trend given that we know there has been an increase in the population of the affected areas. Not to mention the increase in technology which is vulnerable to disasters, and hence making disaster recovery far more expensive.

But the evidence is rather ambiguous as to whether or not there is an actual increase in disasters.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Well, I guess my "they pulled the video so people won't discuss it to much" theory is null and void since all I've been seeing on the Weather Channel lately is ongoing feature stories on the massive billion dollar disasters of 2011. And yes, they're still touting it as the worst weather year for disasters, just on the heels of them declaring 2010 as the worst weather year in a generation.

So... where does this leave us?
Some people, like myself, continue to assert that yes: disasters such as tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes volcanic activity and the like are increasing. And if not the number of reported disasters, the severity of them. I suppose one can present evidence for anything using statistics...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Well, I guess my "they pulled the video so people won't discuss it to much" theory is null and void since all I've been seeing on the Weather Channel lately is ongoing feature stories on the massive billion dollar disasters of 2011.

The Weather Channel, just like all MSM, is a business. Therefore it is highly unlikely that they would ever try and get less attention (fear sells). Perhaps the video contained erroneous or non factual information? I'm sure they will be mentioning any such stories as often as possible.

And yes, they're still touting it as the worst weather year for disasters, just on the heels of them declaring 2010 as the worst weather year in a generation.

Where did they say that 2010 was the worst weather? I'm assuming you're referring to the video you posted, and you must have missed/misunderstood my post regarding it. They label 2010 as the worst in a generation for deaths due to disasters, not weather. And this is almost entirely due to the Haiti earthquake which killed 220,000+ people. This is obviously not due to the weather, but it has apparently worked in garnering further fear and interest in the weather channel. Comparing disaster deaths to terrorism also helps to throw in a bit more fear, which is good for business.

I'm not saying that 2010 or 2011 was not a deadly year, but I see no reason to establish a trend of worse weather based on the evidence presented. Earthquakes and monetary wealth are not good indicators for actual weather. But I guess the Weather Channel would refer to the worst weather as the costliest, and not necessarily the actual worst weather.

So... where does this leave us?
Some people, like myself, continue to assert that yes: disasters such as tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes volcanic activity and the like are increasing. And if not the number of reported disasters, the severity of them. I suppose one can present evidence for anything using statistics...
You are entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else, and I can respect that. But I have done a fair amount research into disasters, in particular volcanoes, earthquakes and tornadoes, and have found no real evidence for increasing trends. There is of course, plenty of evidence for increased detection and perception of these events. However when comparing trends for large severe volcanoes, quakes and tornadoes, there is little or no evidence for increasing trends, even though smaller ones have had a huge increase in detection.

Statistics can show almost anything, but it takes a little logic and common sense to truly understand what the statistics represent.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curious and Concerned
it takes a little logic and common sense to truly understand what the statistics represent.

I have no logic. Nor do I have any common sense. I would advise everyone concerned to disregard anything I have to say.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
2011 also has more trillion dollar economies than ever before. Coincidence?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
To reiterate:

Last year (2010) was the deadliest in a generation.

Now 2011 tops it.

WASHINGTON -- America smashed the record for billion-dollar weather disasters this year with a deadly dozen -- and counting. With an almost biblical onslaught of twisters, floods, snow, drought and wildfire, the U.S. in 2011 has seen more weather catastrophes that caused at least $1 billion in damage than it did in all of the 1980s, even after the dollar figures from back then are adjusted for inflation.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration added two disasters to the list Wednesday, bringing the total to 12. The two are the Texas, New Mexico and Arizona wildfires and the mid-June tornadoes and severe weather.
NOAA uses $1 billion as a benchmark for the worst weather disasters.
www.nola.com...

Item:

Winter 2012- Most Extreme Configuration of the Jet Stream Ever Recorded
by burntheships
started on 1/18/2012 @ 03:50 PM
edit on 1/18/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: formatting

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

To reiterate:

2010 was a deadly year due to poor construction and living conditions in an area hit by a moderate earthquake.

2011 was more expensive than any other year. Although there was bad weather, this does not mean it was the worst weather, just that there was a considerable amount of population and infrastructure damaged, which is likely to continue to increase as the population in disaster prone areas increases.

The jet stream this year is interesting, and I will be looking into it a bit more later. But at this stage I see no reason to believe there is going to be incredibly bad weather, at least not any more than every other year. Records will be broken, just like every other year, but I will be making the most of our Summer while it lasts. It's been relatively cool here in NZ so far this Summer, but we currently have awesome weather, so I'm heading outside.

edit on 24/1/12 by Curious and Concerned because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
stupid measuring it in terms of financial cost, erm little thing called inflation?

Chronological List of U.S. Billion Dollar Events
Note: Billion Dollar U.S. Disaster costs have now been adjusted to 2011 dollars using the Consumer Price Index (CPI) as noted below.

The U.S. has sustained 114 weather/climate disasters over the past 31+ years in which overall damages/costs reached or exceeded $1 billion. The total standardized losses for the 114 events exceed $800 billion. Events are listed below beginning with the most recent. Two damage figures are given for events prior to 2011–the first figure represents actual dollar costs at the time of the event and is not adjusted for inflation. The value in parenthesis is the disaster cost adjusted to 2011 dollars using the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

new topics

top topics

join