It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet was Shut Off last night.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Last night at about 9 O'clock, My internet was not available. The connection was fine, Everything was working properly but there was no Internet access. This was also the case for my Gramps that lives next door. I would like to know if this happened to anyone else recently. I live in the western part of Montana in the Flathead Valley.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
only for you. c'mon don't be so paranoid.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
They've been messing with the internet for about a month or so now, whole north east coast was running slow for a week or two, connection was really slow for a while. These internet "interruptions" usually coincide with a FB, Google, and Youtube update/change.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
You feel this is a conspiracy... why, exactly?

No one's internet connection has 100% uptime. Momentary hiccups in connectivity are normal--regardless of your connection type or particular ISP.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by princeguy

Why is this in "general conspiracies"???

I dont live in the USA, but i know internet connections can cut out. Im using cable broadband, all it takes is for someone to open the cabinet and pull the cable out and im without internet for days, if not weeks.

More than likely your ISP having problems. I get it fairly often here. Im with a company called Virgin Media...they are pretty annoying when it comes to connection issues.

Not a conspiracy dude...just ISP's experiencing difficulties.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by unworldly
You feel this is a conspiracy... why, exactly?

No one's internet connection has 100% uptime. Momentary hiccups in connectivity are normal--regardless of your connection type or particular ISP.

Dont be *icks! I am a smart guy, I know that people have internet problems from time to time.

Let me repeat. My internet connections was just fine!

The internet was not available.

I have Never experienced this.

I am just looking to see if it was a widespread thing or something local.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Ok, well if thats the case than thats good to know. thanks

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I checked with everybody in Colorado, and we were all online. We wondered where you and gramps went to?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

My friend works for a major internet provider in Europe. His job basically is to monitor usage over a large urban area. The provider he works for has some large corporate clients, they pay a lot of money to be guaranteed that their internet access will never drop bellow certain speeds. At certain peak times, when a lot of people are online in the area he monitors, the overall usage draws the speed down toward the lines that the provider has guaranteed to its high paying clients it won't go below. My friends job is to watch when this is going to happen, and when it does he cuts off certain sectors in his area for periods of time, these sectors obviously contain just normal household clients. This ensures that the overall internet speed never reaches critical levels. He cuts off internet access to areas for periods ranging from 30 mins to 3hrs or more.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

that happened to me too!!!
Except i realized about an hour into enabling/disabling my router and wireless adaptors that my cable modem was unplugged... blast these other humans that I call family that i reside with... blast them to space!!!

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

TPTB are watching your every type and consider you a threat. Run now. Run fast. Run to the hills. They will never find you there..

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Think this falls distinctly under, don't dismiss off hand.....Seriously, has everyone on this board just gone to being a troll?....Someone brings up a topic that concerns them, it really concerns them.....

You know, your right, scenario...

Little girl falls down and skins her knee, 'Owwwww, daddy......help'

Its nothing, get up, stop being a baby.....

Is that what response she is looking for? Is that the response YOU would want?....The problem with OUR society, and I mean OUR global society is that we don't treat each other like we would want to be treated.....

No, not everything is true, not everything is obvious, not everything is an issue that screams conspiracy.....but I have news for you other idiots out there........YOU DON"T KNOW IT ALL....and if you think you do, your a bigger idiot than I thought...

Regardless of that, there is a way to say it and a way not to say it....and considering it takes the same number of keystrokes, to say it nicely, you have no excuse at being rude.

People Grow Up, even if a concept is way out there, that is no reason to belittle the person saying/asking it......A lot of times, those 'way out there' concepts....turned out to be REAL.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
There is nothing to worry about
The internet goes down all over the world all the time, its not at the fault of the ISP for 'shutting down' the internet, I work for an ISP and this is what i do, i fix internet.

Chances are you just got caught in an outage.
If it showed you connected and your modem all lined up, then its probably an ERX that went down and wouldn't allow internet traffic to go through, or perhaps the DSLAM went down, and wouldn't allow you to connect.

There are a lot of things that can happen to an internet connection to make it not work, i know this for a fact. Haha.
If its working now then your ISP fixed this issue.

Between your house and the central office there are 200 possible things that could go wrong to make the internet not work. Lol, i've seen lots of messed up internet issues. lol
edit on 18/12/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Same here, but only for some sites: this one, sott.net, and NASA's fireball reporting network.

I live in SoCal.

I though it pretty strange that that particular cluster was unavailable, as most of the rest were there.

Anyone else notice that just a few sites wee unavailable?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

nice way of responding, but if the DSLAM went down, they wouldn't have had connectivity, the RG would have been unable to sync. You trivialized it that it is a common issue....You know though, I have never had connectivity on my system and not been able to browse. Meaning, I have never looked at my system, seen green but not able to pull a single webpage....If the gateway was receiving signal, and my systems are registering that signal, then I was able to browse...

He is saying, that he saw that signal, it was registered by his computer, but nothing was there.......and yet no one actually asked any probing questions.....sad.....fine conspiracy theorist you all are......what, if it isn't your theory it isn't worth it....

The issue descibed is actually of some concern to me, and would have liked to know more during the issue......He had sync down the line, but there was no content......doesn't scream out to anyone else?
edit on 18-12-2011 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
Same here, but only for some sites: this one, sott.net, and NASA's fireball reporting network.

I live in SoCal.

I though it pretty strange that that particular cluster was unavailable, as most of the rest were there.

Anyone else notice that just a few sites wee unavailable?

This also happens, depending on how your ISP has their network set up. Its been happening in my neck of the woods. The DHCP network can mess up, and the firewall has been messing up and not allowing certain sites to load. It happens. Its been happening here.

Perhaps that is a conspiracy, if its happening here on the east coast and elsewhere.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by pointr97

nice way of responding, but if the DSLAM went down, they wouldn't have had connectivity, the RG would have been unable to sync.

Not necessarily. The dslam can be up but not be passing traffic just as easily as if the dslam lost power and wasn't sending a signal. Equipment breaks on a regular basis, thousands of people lose internet every day due to faulty equipment.

There are hundreds of possible issues, i'de suggest calling your isp and asking why it wasnt working last night. If his RTU was still synced, then its more than possible that the trunks that connect his area with the network could have went down physically or logically. Paths fail. Trunks fail. Scrips fail. Dslams fail. ERX's fail. Cards fail. Lines fail. Modems fail. Wiring fails. Lol. There is more flaws when it comes to internet than most people think about xD. Thats why i have a job. Haha.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pointr97

I used to work in telecoms......and im not being rude. If you think thats rude then you must have lead a very sheltered life??

I thought everyone knew ISP's experience difficulties, and the internet cuts out (ISP's throttling services etc) ...obviously not

BTW love the way you resort to calling people "trolls"....a sign of a true GLP'er

edit on 18-12-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
reply to post by pointr97

I used to work in telecoms......and im not being rude. If you think thats rude then you must have lead a very sheltered life??

I thought everyone knew ISP's experience difficulties, and the internet cuts out (ISP's throttling services etc) ...obviously not

BTW love the way you resort to calling people "trolls"....a sign of a true GLP'er

edit on 18-12-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

They do not do that here over in eastern canada, throttling speeds for businesses i mean. We put all our businessess on dslams that cannot get congestion issues, (for the most part),
So we don't have to throttle. We just have too many people on too little networking equipment in some areas, so it gets slow speeds

But yes, equipment breaks at the ISP all the time.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I understand completely how ispdsl which may or may not be what he is using operate...As a tech, I have seen a lot of weird issues working calls, but I have not seen too many where the end user saw the network but unable to browse....it was your off-handed dismissal of his concern that bothers me....describe one scenario in which the end user cpu saw an active network connection but could not browse?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join