It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tired of Coffee Stains? Check this out!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'm sure we've all spilled coffee on our white shirt or pants in a mad rush trying to get to work, or perhaps a pesky spaghetti stain from lunch. It's never fun, and those tide sticks just don't work!

Here on ATS nanotechnology is usually mentioned as a bad thing, and it does have some sinister purposes, but put all that aside for a minute and check this out.

Nanotechnology May Lead To The End Of Laundry

This is a finishing technology utilizing polymer nanospheres which take their cues from the way leaves let water run right off of them. Schoeller has partnered with several different companies to use their finishing technology on their clothing. Perhaps one of the most notable companies they’ve partnered with is iRepel, which makes chef shirts and aprons, and whose products are featured on ThinkGeek.

Check out a video of the iRepel chef shirt in action below:

I know this fabric doesn't look very stylish, but once it's modified to look like regular clothing, this will be very popular. I would like to have a wardrobe made of this stuff. If I can afford it.

Here is another development.

Perhaps one of the most amazing upcoming nanotech coatings, however, is Ross Nanotechnology’s Neverwet. Neverwet is a superhydrophobic coating that can be used on a variety of surfaces, including use as a spray coating for clothing, the way you might use a typical waterproofing spray. Check out this video from LancasterOnline showing the coating applied to a pair of shoes – chocolate syrup literally runs right off of them.

While our brains are being invaded by nanotechnology that turns us into zombies, we at least will have clean clothes

edit on 18-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
i want this

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by wlord

Me too!

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I live in red clay country.....can't wait for these products...

TY for the heads up

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Yeah that is cool, you may want to hold off on your new wardrobe though after reading this part of the article...

Neat as that particular fabric sounds, however, I think I might hold off on buying a shirt made from it until we’re sure that Titanium Oxide doesn’t cause brain damage.

heheh,

The implications for where this technology could go though is impressive. Windshield coating would be a neat experiment, maybe windshield washers become irrelevant? Camera lens coatings too maybe?

It's potential could be like PAM cooking spray for everything except frying pans, eg. spray it inside pipes to decrease friction coefficient (eg, sanitary waste pipes, probably not yet for water or storm pipes
), spray the outside of our submarines for faster hydrodynamics maybe, or bottom of ships, etc.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by IronDogg

Once they fix all the flaws, then sign me up

I rather a coffee stain than brain damage

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
An extremely important topic.

I wonder the consequences if such anti-wet matter gets into our digestive or blood stream.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wisdomnotemotion

Chances are that the body will not react well to this inorganic material.

It seems all the helpful discoveries that make life easier, poison us at the same time.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
If it gets the all clear on health aspects. I would like to see it as a spray for long haired pets. Would taking bathing them to a whole new level.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by IronDogg

You should check out some more youtube videos, you'll get a hint at what would happen if we put this on submarines or boats... It would roll uncontrollably with it repelling water from all directions, probably even bounce.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

That's an interesting aspect I have not thought about yet, but it definitely makes sense.

It would be fun to watch a submarine sized tube that is coated in this material react to the water.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

Now that is interesting, and I can see that happening now that you mention it... I wonder if it is maybe similar to how the stealth technology was very unstable? I remember stories of how the stealth planes were extremely difficult to handle and require the computer to make constant adjustments to its "stability" (whatever the aviation term is), so maybe the answer to that "bounce" you mention could be more control by the computers rather than manual to make it more easily maneuverable?

Maybe submersed navigation needs a re-think in how we travel under water with consideration towards this type of technology?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Hi, "new product" fans.

____We know that if this becomes common stuff, it will be
made by "money/profit-making companies".

____I HOPE that by now, we all know that
WE CAN NOT TRUST money/profit-making companies ! ! !

____Sooooo. . .**think** about what "they" will say
*** on what it does to our health !!!??? ***

____IF, one day, the stuff is affordable, I WILL wait to see the results
of tests made by INDEPENDANT labs, about the health hazard$ ! !
[ aspartame, cigarettes, nutrosweet, splenda. . .MSG. . .remember??? ]

____Just check what your actual soaps (body, dishes, clothes) do to you ! !
We DO NOT use "them" anymore. We switched to more natural ones,
those WITHOUT the crazy additives they put in "them" ! !

Blue skies.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

LOL talk about a negative nancy!

Sure, some of what you said may be true, but even the computer that you used to post your comment once fell under the same "new great product" category you mentioned.

There is no doubt that the future manufacturers of this product will use it for financial gain versus bettering the lives of humanity. I'm pretty sure we were all aware of this practice, there are many different names for it. I believe the main one is capitalism.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious though

The air you're breathing is probably just as harmful as this new product you're warning us about.
edit on 18-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Tio2( titanium dioxyde) is great but Sio2 is way better.. I can't embed a video with my phone , but
If you go on youtube and search "nanopool" liquid glass, you'll see what I'm talking about...

Great product with a promising future.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

Is this what you mean?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

That's it !
Thank you brother

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Forget Coffee Stains!

What they need to do is make hotel sheets and comforters outta this stuff!

edit on 18-12-2011 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
If we had technology like this a few years back Bill Clinton might still be President

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
If we had technology like this a few years back Bill Clinton might still be President

That's what I'm talkin bout!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join