It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last U.S Troops Leave Iraq

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Last U.S Troops Leave Iraq

www.cnn.com

A few minutes before 8 a.m., the metal gate behind the last MRAP closed. With it came to an end a deadly and divisive war that lasted almost nine years, its enormous cost calculated in blood and billions.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet...

I wonder if the U.S would have just waited 9 more years, would the Arab Spring have swept into Iraq and taken the Saddam regime out or would the Iraqi people be too afraid to stand up? Also, IF they did would they have suffered the same fate as Syrians are now?

Also, don't forget... George Bush started the war, but he and the new Iraqi parliament ENDED it... NOT Obama.

U.S/Iraq Status Of Force Agreement

It established that U.S. combat forces would withdraw from Iraqi cities by June 30, 2009, and all U.S. forces will be completely out of Iraq by December 31, 2011.

en.wikipedia.org...

The U.S combat forces have left but 15,000 contractors are employed at the US Embassy within the Green Zone. They cannot ALL be H.R and diplomats?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-12-2011 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Unfortunately the "war" in Iraq is only beginning. The past 8 years have pretty much been an occupation.
Article titled: "Iraq coming apart at seams"http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t1#/video/world/2011/12/17/nr-damon-iraq1-upheaval.cnn

edit on 17-12-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

link   
A Aussie buddy of mine told me flat out two weeks ago, "I wouldn't want to be an American in Iraq come 1 Jan."

That place is gonna go south real quick. Maliki has already been moved to the top spot of my "Dead Pool 2012".

DoS's Fortress Mordor on al-Kindi Street will continue to be the world's most expensive arcade shooting gallery, with everyone taking pot shots at the only visible vestige of the US occupation.

link   
I wonder how many of those soldiers will have to move back in with their family.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
I wonder how many of those soldiers will have to move back in with their family.

Why? You dont suppose they have a nice chunk of money saved up? Also, whats wrong with stayin with family for a while?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I dont understand, why wouldn't they?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
First,
define: troops.

It matters not who represents, the US finally has their first of several to come 'strongholds/footprints' in the middle east.

The compound is six times larger than the United Nations compound in New York, and two-thirds the size of the National Mall in Washington.
It has space for 1,000 employees with six apartment blocks and is 10 times larger than any other U.S. embassy.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

.. . more than sufficient for 'command & control', or at least a 'nice listening post'.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
A Aussie buddy of mine told me flat out two weeks ago, "I wouldn't want to be an American in Iraq come 1 Jan."

That place is gonna go south real quick. Maliki has already been moved to the top spot of my "Dead Pool 2012".

DoS's Fortress Mordor on al-Kindi Street will continue to be the world's most expensive arcade shooting gallery, with everyone taking pot shots at the only visible vestige of the US occupation.

Excellent. Not to mention all the reprisals for "Collaborating or Fraternizing with the enemy"(US).

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I don't believe I'd say U.S. forces left Iraq exactly.....the U.S. personnel left behind simply lost their last hope of timely help and rescue when things go to hell for them. Now Iraq is free to tear itself to pieces without the threat of American interference. After all, there is NO WAY Obama will recommit to a place it took him 2/3rd of his Presidency to get out of...and everyone over there knows it. We CAN hope Sunni submits to Shiite and both leave the Kurds pretty much alone without having a fight over the whole thing...but odds anyone? Anyone? yeah... me too.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to [url= by CALGARIAN[/url]

Yeah. All the US troops are out of Iraq...

Except for the air defense guys, the drone guys, the training guys, their guards, etc. etc. etc.

And that's just the ones they're telling us about. Think about the one they aren't.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

How much better are job prospects for veterans? Yeah, they'll have money saved up, but how long will it take for them to blow throw it?

Originally posted by hapablab

I would think most of them would rather not live with parents, unless they had too.
edit on 18-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

Indeed. They may have "a bunch of cash" but that will quickly be eaten up by rising food, fuel and energy prices back in the "1st world". Army wages ain't that great that they can afford to retire and pay medical bills and have "a little fun". Vietnam veterans all over again?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I'm not trying to sound pessimistic or anything, I just wish there were better opportunities for them here. Wish there was for everyone.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
American troops never should have invaded that country in the first place. Iraq never attacked or even threatened the United States; there was no probable cause for an invasion. In hindsight, it's amazing that the rest of the world was actually willing to sit back and watch--and not intervene--as America fully invaded a country unprovoked and removed its leaders from power.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

why would they do that? unless they are reserves, they still will have a full time job in the military, if they chose to stay in. that means, salary, housing (BAH paying for either on base or off base), BAS, tax free shopping on base and insurance.

why are some posting like these guys are coming back to live on the streets. they can chose to stay in or look for a civilian job when time is up. in this ecomony i think it is stupid to get out of a paying job right now.....
edit on December 18th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

my brother is still in iraq for another week... so yea

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I think they are keeping an extra 15,000 there =/. They need every damn troop out.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

why would they do that? unless they are reserves, they still will have a full time job in the military, if they chose to stay in. that means, salary, housing (BAH paying for either on base or off base), BAS, tax free shopping on base and insurance.

That's real true. When I read the article, and saw "Troops are coming home", I forgot that it doesn't mean their time is done, they are just done in Iraq. I stand corrected!

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

reply to post by AllUrChips

How much better are job prospects for veterans? Yeah, they'll have money saved up, but how long will it take for them to blow throw it?

Originally posted by hapablab

I would think most of them would rather not live with parents, unless they had too.
edit on 18-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

Yeah, about those job prospects... Well, I wouldn't get too comfortable back home. I hear there are openings coming in Forward Operating Base in a new war near you. Scenic new destinations are said to include Damascus, Tehran and perhaps even a surprise swing through Islamabad or Riyadh just to shake things up and keep everyone on their toes.

A war, Iraq never made. They've only been a campaign in the overall war effort...and as one campaign closes, the next one in Syria opens. No, I wouldn't get too depressed about downsizing and peace dividends. I think that talk is seriously pre-mature, to say the least.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join