It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENTERTAINMENT: Michael Moore Will Not Seek a Best Documentary Oscar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Film maker and satirist Michael Moore has decided to pull Fahrenheit 9/11 from being in contention for Oscar glory and instead opted for the small hope that his film will will be shown on TV before the elections, reaching as many people as possible. Oscar rules state that if submitting a documentary it cannot be shown on TV within 9 months of the Oscar ceremony.

www.michaelmoore.com
The only problem with my desire to get this movie in front of as many Americans as possible is that, should it air on TV, I will NOT be eligible to submit "Fahrenheit 9/11" for Academy Award consideration for Best Documentary. Academy rules forbid the airing of a documentary on television within nine months of its theatrical release (fiction films do not have the same restriction).

Although I have no assurance from our home video distributor that they would allow a one-time television broadcast -- and the chances are they probably won't -- I have decided it is more important to take that risk and hope against hope that I can persuade someone to put it on TV, even if it's the night before the election.

Therefore, I have decided not to submit "Fahrenheit 9/11" for consideration for the Best Documentary Oscar. If there is even the remotest of chances that I can get this film seen by a few million more Americans before election day, then that is more important to me than winning another documentary Oscar. I have already won a Best Documentary statue. Having a second one would be nice, but not as nice as getting this country back in the hands of the majority.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I guess if you've already got the Oscar statue losing out to a second ain't going to pinch too much, especially when you believe that the more people your film reaches the more the chances that it can actually influence the election. I think that's more important than an Oscar.

Some may see this as a way to avoid embarrassment when the Oscars do not submit the film as it is not a "non fiction" film, which would certainly ruin any credibility that the film had. No doubt these are the rumours that will soon by flying, not helped by the fact that the film can still be submitted for 'Best Picture', whether it's been on TV or not and Michael Moore certainly jokes (or is it?) about this "in fact, they then offered to submit our film for all the other categories it is eligible for, including Best Picture -- so, hey, who knows, maybe I'll get to complete that Oscar speech from 2003! Sorry, just kidding"

However, although I think Moore can be selective with the truth I do like alot of his work and I do believe his intentions here. Imagine the stir it would cause if this film were to be shown the night before the elections. Also, think of all the Republicans who would not pay their hard earned money to watch it at the theatre but would gladly watch it for free on TV, would it change their minds? In Michael Moore's mind it's certainly worth the risk.

[edit on 9-8-2004 by Valhall]

Odd

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
For a second there, I thought he was showing some taste, refusing to capitalize that much on a film made for non-capitalistic reasons....

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Some may see this as a way to avoid embarrassment when the Oscars do not submit the film as it is not a "non fiction" film

Neither was 'Bowling," but he got an Oscar and other awards for it in the Documentary category.

join