It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merry Freaking Christmas. What to expect for ONE night in the hospital when you don't have health i

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

This post is BS. It's from a viral email that has tonnes of made up statistics. A little fact checking would have saved yourself the embarrassment of looking like foolish.

Just as a start, there is no such thing as the United Nations International Health Organization. You should go from there.

Oh and the person that this email is originally credited to has been known to make things up.

www.washingtonpost.com...

newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by angeldoll

Health insurance is not the answer. What does a insurance company have to do with the health and balance of the human body. Absolutely nothing.

I once asked my father how he paid for my birth. He replied, I took out my check book and wrote a check for $200 and walked out paid in full.

All insurance companies should be destroyed.
No one should be able to profit off of the suffering of others.

That is exactly what they have turned the medical industry into, and industry.

The medical industry accounts for 1/6 of the United States Economy.

That is the problem !

The solution is definitely not consolidation of even more power over our lives into more centralization.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SusyQ30

Thank you, I thought this seemed like some bull# cry for an even larger power grab of our freedoms.

Health insurance, like the health care industry, the FDA, and the system, is designed to keep you poor and sick.

The number of people begging for their own enslavement or for their prison walls to be higher is mind blowing.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This entire thread is jacked up.

Your not crying out for cures.

Your not crying out for cheaper more affordable care.

Your not crying out for known cures to be released.

Your not even crying out for health.

Your crying out for middle man insurance companies to enslave you even further, or better yet the government to do it for you. Not that the FDA has outlawed many things shown to cure disease (which they have).

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
That's why I'm glad I live in Canada. Publicly funded healthcare that is free at the point of access. Nobody that I've known has ever complained about our MSI, not even the most conservative people. It's not perfect but we all appreciate not having to worry about being wiped out because of an illness.

I really don't get either why so many Americans see this form of healthcare as some kind of communism. Like Canada and countries in Europe are "communist" for providing healthcare to all it's citizens with no big bill at the end. It's tragic what happens to Americans who lose everything due to illness. It's shocking really, it would never happen here and it's surprising that it is still the reality in the US.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Wow and I thought a bill I got one time for $500 was rough lol, that's just insane, that's a house mortgage, that's a life of debt... Honestly this world is so messed up, twisted, a$$ backwards crazy I don't know what to do anymore... If everyone got rid of their military, you know, the thing that's used to kill each other, there would be enough money for everyone to have abundant free health care... oh in a perfect world... maybe when we die?...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I have been English all my life and therefore have some experience of UK "socialized" medicine, however I have also had the good fortune to have travelled and worked in other countries and have some experience of their systems.

Firstly, there is nothing stopping you paying for private health care,if you wish in the socialized health care countries. They all have private health infrastructure and insurance companies offering private cover at premiums that go up and up based on how likely you are to ever claim on them.

Secondly, there are some very good socialized health care systems running in the world that provide good blanket care to all citizens and are affordable for the countries that run them. In general, like in France, the better ones seem to have married state funding with private provision. Everyone has to pay insurance, which is kept proportional to what income they have, and the hospitals and doctors are free to compete for patients. Costs are kept affordable and care is as good as it can be for the money.

Plenty of French people will complain about their health system but everything is relative, and overall they get very good care for the money they spend as a country.

In my experience the NHS in Britain provides rather poor value for money, relative to what we pay as taxpayers. Unlike the European model there is no private provision you can access with state funds, or individual funding that follows you around to where you think you will get the best treatment. You get what you are offered where you are offered it or you get nothing. Care really is "socialized" and government controlled, right down to the number of medical students a university is allowed to train each year.

Treatment is hit and miss and what you get can be a lottery depending largely on where you live and what resources your local health authority has put by for your particular affliction. GPs can be very good, or harassed with no time to diagnose, or both at once.

Hospital care here is also hit and miss and there seems to be a real problem developing with basic patient care and overall cleanliness. I wouldn't want to go into hospital here, as an invalid you can often feel like you're an inconvenience at best, and from my experience of NHS hospitals the doctors and nurses will do little disabuse you of that notion.

Nevertheless care for kids is, I would say, very good, and you get unlimited prescription meds for a nominal charge.

Overall the US system has some good stats (posted earlier) for speed of care and cancer survival rates, but Americans pay a heavy price for this. The US spends far more per capita on health than any other country by far, almost double the G7 average.

www.kff.org...

Out of interest I got some pretend online quotes for medical insurance with some US insurance companies that would cover me, my wife and my kid, the monthly premiums for all but the absolute cheapest with sky high deductibles, far exceed the total of all the tax I currently pay on my monthly salary in the UK, and some ongoing meds we need for pre-existing conditions would cost a couple of hundred dollars even more on top of this if we were to live in the US.

Socialized medicine isnt perfect, but it would seem to be less bad than the private sector model used in the States.
edit on 18-12-2011 by ruggedtoast because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2011 by ruggedtoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by angeldoll
reply to post by Alaskan Man

And yet you still support R.Paul? He's made it abundantly clear he has no problem letting those without money die. Strange bedfellow ya got there.

Health care is so high in the U.S. for several reasons: 1) tort reform laws were supposed to reduce the costs of health care in exchange for making it nearly impossible to sue a doctor. That resulted in a sharp decrease in the quality of care we receive with more returns to the medical system for "repairs" from malpractice. 2) The A.M.A. lobbied to limit the number of medical schools that exist, limiting the number of doctors in the workplace and severely restricting the free market. 3) Insurance companies lobbied state governments to enact laws prohibiting individuals - such as yourselves - from getting together as a group and creating your own medical firm to care for your group.

If Ron Paul is to effect positive change, he needs to address these issues.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
That's totally outrageous. Im a physician, spent 3 nights in the hospital 2 weeks ago

and don't expect more than a $10,000 bill and even that will be highway robbery.

Everything is totally #ed up and I can't control anything in our big hospital system.

The administrators NEVER interact with us physicians at the ground level - and all

14 hospitals I've ever worked at , only 2x have I spoken to a hospital vp or pres. one on one and

they were 2 tiny hospitals.

Anyways, Im just infuriated at all the unseen hands in the pot the patient never sees; the patient

thinks its the doctors and nurses that cost $100k per night. Well, it isn't. It's the food vendors,

the legions of useless extra staff people (who don't take call, don't have medical degrees, and don't

do very much at all but surf the internet, text to friends, and be rude to patients), the big pharmas raping

us for designer drugs, the medical equipment manufacturers (think 2 million dollar mri machines, and

20 thousand dollar hip implants, or $1000 per vascular coil , just for the parts!!!), etc etc etc.

Not to mention our social safety nets that have failed us along with the economy and resulted in

45 million without insurance, so that a tylenol has to be $15 to cost shift money to pay for people who

have nothing in the ER- it is FEDERAL LAW that NOONE can be turned away for emergency care

based on ability to pay. So, you get the idea. The system is totally broken. And the average doc

feels POWERLESS - im still on call right now after finishing a work shift until 9pm. Its enough to just

get food and kiss my daughter goodnight on a weekend, let alone lobby any fat cat who doesn't #ing

care at all about anyone who doesn't have as much $ as mitt romney.

Funny true story from 2008: summer time, we had a nice young med student from Tufts, named Ben.

Quiet, unassuming, polite kid. One stressful case where the patient was intubated and we were doing

a spinal tap to prove West nile virus, i asked Ben to help move the patient. Sadly that was nearly the

most interaction i had with him, as we were understaffed (as per usual) and overwhelmed with cases that

summer. Months later one of my colleagues asks "So, how did you like Ben? Ben Romney? You know

his dad, right?"

I nearly fainted.

I didn't even know his last name. If i did, I was too busy to make the connection.

That's the sad state of medicine today.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by Adyta

You do realize that as an average, a CNA makes around $25-$30 an hour?

I work as a hospital LNA (my state's equivalent of CNA) and my employer's pay scale for this position tops out at approximately $16 per hour. I make $11 per hour plus shift differential, so when I work night shifts I'm making approximately $14 per hour. The wage that you mentioned is more along the lines of what a registered nurse would make, and believe me they earn every cent they make. My opinion may be a bit biased since I am also a student nurse, but nurses are generally underpaid and overworked. A CNA making $25 an hour would probably be in the upper 95th percentile, not the 50th percentile like you assert.

Not trying to bash you, but your figure is completely out of touch with reality.

I don't know where the money in health care is going, but it certainly isn't going to nurses and nursing assistants.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr
That's totally outrageous. Im a physician, spent 3 nights in the hospital 2 weeks ago

and don't expect more than a $10,000 bill and even that will be highway robbery.

Everything is totally #ed up and I can't control anything in our big hospital system.

The administrators NEVER interact with us physicians at the ground level - and all

14 hospitals I've ever worked at , only 2x have I spoken to a hospital vp or pres. one on one and

they were 2 tiny hospitals.

Anyways, Im just infuriated at all the unseen hands in the pot the patient never sees; the patient

thinks its the doctors and nurses that cost $100k per night. Well, it isn't. It's the food vendors,

the legions of useless extra staff people (who don't take call, don't have medical degrees, and don't

do very much at all but surf the internet, text to friends, and be rude to patients), the big pharmas raping

us for designer drugs, the medical equipment manufacturers (think 2 million dollar mri machines, and

20 thousand dollar hip implants, or $1000 per vascular coil , just for the parts!!!), etc etc etc.

Not to mention our social safety nets that have failed us along with the economy and resulted in

45 million without insurance, so that a tylenol has to be $15 to cost shift money to pay for people who

have nothing in the ER- it is FEDERAL LAW that NOONE can be turned away for emergency care

based on ability to pay. So, you get the idea. The system is totally broken. And the average doc

feels POWERLESS - im still on call right now after finishing a work shift until 9pm. Its enough to just

get food and kiss my daughter goodnight on a weekend, let alone lobby any fat cat who doesn't #ing

care at all about anyone who doesn't have as much $ as mitt romney.

Funny true story from 2008: summer time, we had a nice young med student from Tufts, named Ben.

Quiet, unassuming, polite kid. One stressful case where the patient was intubated and we were doing

a spinal tap to prove West nile virus, i asked Ben to help move the patient. Sadly that was nearly the

most interaction i had with him, as we were understaffed (as per usual) and overwhelmed with cases that

summer. Months later one of my colleagues asks "So, how did you like Ben? Ben Romney? You know

his dad, right?"

I nearly fainted.

I didn't even know his last name. If i did, I was too busy to make the connection.

That's the sad state of medicine today.

Cheers.

Oy vey, please divulge which ivory tower of northeastern medicine your grace with your "professional services" as I wish to ensure that my dear mother is treated by someone who has completed medical school, a residency, hopefully a fellowship and is board certified in their scope of practice. All of which would preclude someone who is unaware that "noone" is not a word and the proper spelling is "no one." I will dispense with detailing the misuse of grammar, spelling, punctuation and the use of profanity.

Shalom.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
That is just crazy, but it doesn't surprise me at all. I recently had to make a quick trip to the ER. Thankfully I work in an office about 20 ft from it. I work for the hospital, and ironically I can't afford the health insurance.

What landed me in there was a cold medicine pill I tried to take. I was one of the off brand day-quill gel caps, and it was fairly large for my small throat. It got lodged in my trachea, but I was able to get it dislodged myself after almost a minute. THEN it got stuff in my esophagus to the point where anything I swallowed to wash it down couldnt go anywhere.

So long story short, I tell the front desk what's going on, and they wheel me back and start an IV. A few minutes later I notice the saliva I'm having to spit out because I can't swallow it is orange, and then it goes right down. A few minutes later I was back to work lol.

A few days later I check the mail and see my bill. Around $1000 for my little 10 minute trip. Granted, they did knock off around $250 of it as part of a program for un-insured patients. I've had a few people tell me to give the manufacturer of the meds a call and tell them they need to pay the bill since there is no warning of a choking hazard. It would just be my word against theirs though.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

Wow!

Glad I live in the UK.....Free premium health care for all, you could be a tramp on the streets or a multi millionaire.....the NHS will look after you, and treat you just the same regardless of your social standing.

Ah, but the UK is a civilized nation. America, on the other hand, is haves and have nots. Only problem is we now have a lot more have nots and BigGov wants to balance the books by stealing the old folks Social Security they paid into all their lives, while preserving the tax break of a lifetime for the wealthy. So, you see America is not civilized in any manner.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Your friend is a moron. All he had to do is say, "No hablo Englis" and say he's in the country illegally. Then his bill would have been $0.00.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

That really is outrageous,sincerely hope that the ...person...who inflicted that damage on your husband when he was a child is suffering for it now.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Why am I against the Govt controlling another aspect of my life?
I think I just answered with my rhetorical question.

Affordable? No.
Govt controlled? Yes.

Ahhh. It is so clear now, and all the confusion I had is now gone. You're the paranoid, tinfoil-hat wearing type. Maybe someday you'll be the one to get cancer, have your insurance company drop you because you forgot to mention you had diarrhea when you were 13, and end up dying in a charity ward. I hope that doesn't happen, but if it does I guarantee you wont be thinking "good thing this service isn't free".

There are countless things that are government controlled, yet you shake in fear that government hitmen in black suits and sunglasses will visit your hospital bed one day.

You know, it's much more evil to control someone through debt and despair than it is to have some control over their medical care.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

if only all politicians had a magic wand like your hero

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Thanks for telling us what happened to him. I'm sorry for him, I'm sure the procedure was needed.

I have insurance, but have an odd story about a doctor who was honest.
I was told I needed gamma globulin(sp?) infusion, which frankly, disgusts me at the thought of it. I asked about the costs of it, and it's ungodly expensive. The doctor I was referred to about this said it wouldn't be expensive for me, but the costs have to paid somehow. He didn't say exactly, but I got the gist of it.
The costs get transferred to other people, whose insurance doesn't cover it, or don't have insurance.
No Thanks. I'll do without. Besides, the idea made me sick. Maybe I wasn't being so altruistic as I was looking for any excuse to get out of it.
edit on 19-12-2011 by TheCounselor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
This is here by design, to lock you into the monetary system, so as you have to submit for employment. It's for the same reason that they inject you with disease at birth

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCounselor

Gamma globulin injections can help boost a patient's immune system temporarily, so they are sometimes administered after a patient has been exposed to a contagious illness, though this practice is less common than it once was. This type of gamma globulin injection was formerly common for measles and hepatitis A, but vaccines currently exist for both conditions. Gamma globulin injections may also be given to patients who do not produce enough antibodies on their own as the result of a genetic disorder or an acquired condition"

You should seriously think again TC,

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join