Merry Freaking Christmas. What to expect for ONE night in the hospital when you don't have health i

page: 3
27
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
Friend of mine had to spend ONE night in a Hospital

This is his bill for just under 24hrs.



Originally posted by ceruleanblue
This is from a post on www.reddit.com.../More discussion going on there.


So is this a "friendship" out of "convenience" to help make a point, or does Alaskan Man actually know this person in Virginia who posted this bill on Reddit? Hmmm.




posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Damn I am glad I live in a country where healthcare is considered a human right as opposed to a luxury. In Australia, if I get sick enough to have to visit a hospital I just hand them my green Medicare card and the whole lot is organised for me.

My father-in-law recently had brain surgery - didn't cost him a red cent for the surgery OR the follow up visits.

I don't get what Americans have against a Health Care system. Those opposed to it are seriously shooting themselves in the foot (for which they will get a large bill to remove the bullet).



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Us Brits get sneery comments on our health care yes even from Americans. But I hear stories like the OP's all the time. We are a long way from perfect but trust me, nothing can beat knowing that if you get sick or need medical care you don't need to worry about a bill.



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man

Originally posted by angeldoll
reply to post by Alaskan Man
 


Oh, I just noticed your last comment. I apologize. I thought someone who strongly supported a candidate would know more about their policies.
edit on 12/17/2011 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)


Wow I'm just going to dismiss you as a troll at this point. You're just pulling stuff out of thin air and calling it a fact, then you tell me i don't know about the candidate i support after linking you to his stance on what you claim to know about.

Well heck as long as anything said without backing it up counts as the full truth.... angeldoll hates puppies! If you know anything about angeldoll you'll know he/she likes to adopt puppies just to abandon them. PUPPY HATER!
edit on 12/17/2011 by Alaskan Man because: typo


Uh yea "angeldoll"

He clearly told you, and backed it up with a source, so.. you're first comment was a bit uneducated in itself.

Just because you don't have/understand the information doesn't mean it's not true.

So yes, either acknowledge the fact that you were wrong, or stop trolling.

There was recently a new thread put out by a MOD talking about political trolling and how we should not only stay away from it, but report anyone that's doing it. You should take the time to read it.



---------------

But anyway, OP,

That's pretty incredible, my uncle recently had to have surgery because he had an infected sty that popped around his eye and if left untreated would've killed him. He didn't have insurance because that whole side of my family doesn't "believe" in hospitals because they are all bat-SNIP crazy religious and have no common sense. So he ends up having a HUGE bill to pay.

The health insurance issues in this country are out of control. Our leaders just keep throwing a scented blanket over the whole issue hoping the STINK wont waft out.
edit on 18-12-2011 by dannotz because: add



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
reply to post by Alaskan Man
 


Wow!

Glad I live in the UK.....Free premium health care for all, you could be a tramp on the streets or a multi millionaire.....the NHS will look after you, and treat you just the same regardless of your social standing.


Yes but to most Americans this is pure Communism.

We dont even charge for the ambulances and treatment of a 20% increase in cases over this xmas party weekend, picking up the drunk office workers off our high streets and looking after them.



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRiverCityAnswer
just a heads up, i had a friend with a bill like this, he applied for a grant and they paid the whole thing off. It's worth a shot checking into



Really? I would like to know more about this grant? And how it is that public funds can be applied to hospital bills? Was it some exotic illness that was needed for research? How did this happen...if it happened?



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I don't have healthcare (insurance companies won't insure me) and spent 3 days in the hospital last month. I'll post the bills up once they all have arrived. Should be interesting considering all of the testing that was done.



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
Friend of mine had to spend ONE night in a Hospital

This is his bill for just under 24hrs.



Originally posted by ceruleanblue
This is from a post on www.reddit.com.../More discussion going on there.


So is this a "friendship" out of "convenience" to help make a point, or does Alaskan Man actually know this person in Virginia who posted this bill on Reddit? Hmmm.



Does it really matter? Almost anyone without insurance can pull up a bill like this for either themselves or a relative. Why do you suppose so many are suddenly bankrupted or lost it all? An unexpected illness. Only someone who has always had insurance could find it hard to believe this isn't somebody's bill.



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I am speechless. I mean i know from experience what hospitals/tests in the US cost...but i have never seen SUCH bills. This is just crazy.



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Meanwhile here in the 1st world, people can go to hospitals and have to pay no more than the cab/train/bus fare.



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Wow i have been in hospital a few times in my life... and if the UK was the same as america i would definitely be 1 poor man...

UK citizens pay taxes for everything anyway, that includes to taxes to watch tv and listen to radios lol



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
That's why people SHOULD NOT rely on health insurance. Not a reason to HAVE health insurance..

You see to you it's all well because you don't have to pay that high bill BUT your partaking in that scheme is helping to ruin this country because you are sending a message to the insurance companies that they can get away with theft. Somebody HAS to pay the bill in the long run. All you see is your not having to pay that bill so you don't care.. who pays that bill? The insurance company? No. Lets add up all your premiums over a lifetime.. say it comes to 20 thousand dollars.. everyone winds up paying 20 thousand dollars - now, one person has a 100,000 dollar bill.. if the insurance company always paid this they would go bankrupt fast. Thats where the high prices come into play. They are used to balance the system. Does that one night hospital stay really cost 100,000 dollars? Hell no, they only make it look on paper like it does. Itemize all the charges on your bill and you will see gross overcharges for everything. The hospital and the insurance company gets together and decides how much of that bill the hospital is really willing to accept to cover the "real" charges.. it's no where near 100,000 dollars and everyone goes home happy. Except the guy who has no insurance.. he gets to pay the whole amount because the hospital and the insurance companies have just scammed him out of his money. That's where the real corruption comes into play.

If we all just said NO to Insurance and hospitals getting away with these scams and refused to use their services, you would see the prices drop like a rock. This we Must do to restore health care in this country or things will get worse. This is possible by learning to care for your health properly without drugs that cause you more harm, through proper diet of living foods that heal the body and prevent disease.

Most people don't eat Food. They eat Doof. What's doof? - the opposite of food. Food are living things that our body wants and needs like fresh fruit, veggies, nuts, grains and a little rare meat - no foods should be cooked for over 5 minutes Period - it kills all the life giving substances in food, making it dead food that is no longer any good for you.. Doof is anything sold in the supermarket that is not sold fresh in the produce dept - anything on store shelves. 80 % of all items in supermarkets ARE NOT FOOD ITEMS. they are Doof - Over processed dead chemical laden things in cans, jars, bottles that our bodies cannot use for nutrition. This includes everything in the frozen section with the possible exception of frozen veggies depending on how they were processed and then these are still not recommended to replace fresh veggies. Our bodies cannot use these substances to grow, heal, prevent disease therefore it is not food it is doof. Learn to eat real foods and Nothing processed and you will find health, long life and never a need to use the insurance or hospital scam services.

Now if you want to treat yourself to a pizza or burger now and then knowing it's dead doof that's fine as long as 95 % of all daily food intake is real living foods ( the body has to be healthy enough to overcome the damage you just did with that burger or pizza) - sadly for most people the opposite is true.That's why our bodies break down and we think we need a hospital to fix us - the stuff we feed ourselves with has been slowly killing us for all our lives.
edit on 18-12-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: sp



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
You can complain about the high cost of US health care, but you may want to see the following information about the results of the US health care system compared to other countries:


Originally posted by angeldoll
reply to post by Alaskan Man
 


And yet you still support R.Paul? He's made it abundantly clear he has no problem letting those without money die. Strange bedfellow ya got there.

I don't think you have done the math, here. First of all, you would have a big reduction in personal taxes...like none at all. Take that extra 10,000 a year and put it on some health insurance. Right now, you may not have any because you can't afford it because you have so much taken out of your check each month.

Next, if government pays for it, prices go up for everyone. The only way to control health care costs is for it to be private with private insurance.

Even under Ron Paul, the poor will be taken care of.
edit on 12/18/2011 by Jim Scott because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
wow is all and most people can say....
but remember... this country is a business... we live smack dab in the middle of it....



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
1.A recent "Investor's Business Daily" article
> provided very interesting statistics from a survey by the
> United Nations International Health Organization.
>
>
>
> Percentage of men and women who survived a cancer five
> years after diagnosis:
>
> U.S.
>
> 65%
>
> England
>
> 46%
>
> Canada
>
> 42%
>
>
>
> Percentage of patients diagnosed with diabetes who
> received treatment within six months:
>
> U.S.
>
> 93%
>
> England
>
> 15%
>
> Canada
>
> 43%
>
>
>
> Percentage of seniors needing hip replacement who
> received it within six months:
>
> U.S.
>
> 90%
>
> England
>
> 15%
>
> Canada
>
> 43%
>
>
>
> Percentage referred to a medical specialist who see
> one within one month:
>
> U.S.
>
> 77%
>
> England
>
> 40%
>
> Canada
>
> 43%
>
>
>
> Number of MRI scanners (a prime diagnostic tool) per
> million people:
>
> U.S.
>
> 71
>
> England
>
> 14
>
> Canada
>
> 18
>
>
>
> Percentage of seniors (65+), with low income, who say
> they are in "excellent health":
>
> U..S.
>
> 12%
>
> England
>
> 02%
>
> Canada
>
> 06%
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Run as fast as you can from Universal Health
> Care!!!
>
>
>
> Check this last set of statistics!!
>
>
>
>
>
> 2..The percentage of each past president's cabinet
> who had worked in the private business sector
> prior to their appointment to the cabinet.
>
>
>
> Here are the percentages.
>
> T. Roosevelt...................
>
> 38%
>
> Taft................................
>
> 40%
>
> Wilson ...........................
>
> 52%
>
> Harding..........................
>
> 49%
>
> Coolidge.........................
>
> 48%
>
> Hoover ..........................
>
> 42%
>
> F. Roosevelt....................
>
> 50%
>
> Truman..........................
>
> 50%
>
> Johnson..........................
>
> 47%
>
> Nixon..............................
>
> 53%
>
> Ford...............................
>
> 42%
>
> Carter.............................
>
> 32%
>
> Reagan............................
>
> 86%
>
> GHBush.........................
>
> 51%
>
> Clinton ...........................
>
> 39%
>
> GW Bush........................
>
> 55%
>
>
>
> And the winner is:
>
>
>
> Obama..................
>
>
> 08%
>
>
>
>
>
> This helps to explain the incompetence of this
> administration: only 8% of them have ever worked in a job
> not supported by tax money!
>
> That's right! Only eight percent---the least, by far,
> of the last 19 presidents! And these people are trying
> to tell our big corporations how to run their business?
>
> They know what's best for GM, Chrysler, WallStreet, and you
> and me?
>
> How can the president of a major nation and society, the
> one with the most successful economic system in world
> history, stand and talk about business when he's never
> worked for one? Or about jobs when he has never really
> had one? And when it's the same for 92% of his
> senior staff and closest advisers? They've spent
> most of their time in academia, government and/or
> non-profit jobs or as "community
> organizers." They should have been in an
> employment line.



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
You could hire a hit-man to kill a few people for the price of one day in the hospital.

We have a saying at my dorm at college "everything is ######"



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Form you description Op. (This is Nasal septum deviation surgery) . This does not appear to be ER surgery. read up deviated septum surgery.






Tonsills & , and nasal polyps removed, and a single night in the hospital - 11/9/2011. Left at 8am the next morning.


Adenoids (or pharyngeal tonsils) is the technical name for tonsils. so he had is tonsils removed and nasal polyps removed.

This is Nasal septum deviation surgery. that's mostly the only reason you remove nasal polyps, unless he was in a major car accident and his face was disfigured.or a very bad bar fight. Otherwise this is elective most cases some not, but this is not ER surgery that your leading people to believe. this a day surgery and a planned one at that, (in order to correct a deviated septum. ) Which in most to all cases septum deviation surgery is. Also the surgeon(s) will remove the tonsils at the patients request, because it will save them additional expenses in future. add in Anesthesia, The Anesthesia Md. The MD performing the operation, the medical staff ,etc.. the special scopes and camera needed for this. about 100K for this type of surgery.

This seems to be an insurance bill.

How do I know you ask ? I had the same surgery. I'm sure this person had a hard time breathing though his nose before the surgery. whom ever this is they should be breathing much better through their nose now. The nasal splints will be uncomfortable for a while.

edit on 18-12-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty
reply to post by Argyll
 


It is not free in the UK the money is made from the 50 million taxes you have (btw wtf is a TV tax? really?) and the care is not as good or should i say its better to pay for healthcare as well.

My wife is from the UK and she told me she paid for extra healthcare because she got faster and better care.
The US system is bad but only because the Insurance companies and (as seen in the op) the hospitals price gouge the hell out of everything. $200 for 2 Tylenol aspirin.

There is no such thing as FREE healthcare.


When I was born I was 2.5 months premature and the NHS saved me and my Mums life, I pay a little bit more Tax because I want everyone to get healthcare, It isnt perfect but it works.
Good for your wife being able to afford private healthcare but many of us can't and I wouldnt even if I could afford it, better care? you mean a private room and a TV because I know that the Doc's and nurse's in the NHS work as hard if not harder to care for the sick than the private ones do.
I have used the NHS a few times in my life and have never had any problems.
Oh and I would pay more "TV" tax if it meant not having to have any ad's on all channels (God bless the BBC no adverts)
A course of prescription drugs in the UK cost about £7 my best mate has to take Med's which cost £90 a day but he just pays the £7 a month....and this is why we the British People don't mind a bit paying a little bit more Tax because we know we are helping each other when we are sick.
I feel sorry for you Americans, I just don't understand why some of you are so against free Health Care, it seems to me some of you suffer from "Iam alright Jack screw you" syndrome.

Just a link saying that we have among the best health care in the world...also one of the cheapest per person.
www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 18-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)
edit on 18-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
In a country where doctors make as much as they do, it attracts the greedy, not the compassionate. I have gone to the hospital with some serious problems, and had them distract and boot me.

"I'm having really bad chest pains"
"What's that rash on your arm? Here's some ointment. Bye."

I remember I went to a doctor once that was so busy, he came into the room, said hi, wrote me a prescription, and left without ever even so much as looking at me.

There's two people I don't trust. Mechanics and doctors. Mechanics will tell you there's something wrong when there isn't, and doctors will tell you there's nothing wrong when there is.



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man
 


My husband had a aorta valve replacement requiring open heart surgery at one of the ten best hospitals in the country (USA) and his bill wasn't that high.

The surgeon charged 30K and for having held my husband's heart in his hands.......I consider that cheap.

The hospital bill was mostly paid by his work insurance but wasn't as high as yours.

Request and go over the itemized billing and see if you were double charged or mischarged for anything.

Most hospitals will meet with you to review the billing.

And yes - they over charge, a aspirin that normally cost about .20 will be charged to you for 100X's that amount.

This is what happens when corporations are not regulated............but I keep telling everyone that and nobody listens.
edit on 18-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)





new topics
top topics
 
27
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join