It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. commander wants U.S. military presence in Afghanistan beyond 2014

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
security.blogs.cnn.com...

KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) - Gen. John Allen, commander of the International Security Assistance Force, told reporters Saturday he would like to keep a U.S. "military presence" in Afghanistan beyond 2014 when NATO is scheduled to withdraw its forces. Allen suggested the presence could last as long as 2016 when the Afghan Air Force is completed.

Well there you have it. Our troops will stay until the next election cycle and possibly pulled out then for the dropping numbers. It seems that all these wars seem to end on the election year and then a new one picks up at the next year and the cycle perpetuates. War till 2016, Obama needs to be booted out and sent back to whichever communist country he came from.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I'd really need the Military Commanders to make a case directly to the public and convince the average John Q before I'd even think about doing anything other than continuing to voice my vehement opposition to our continued presence in that landlocked nation, while surrounded by nations that are growing more and more hostile.

What precisely do the Military leaders believe we'll accomplish if we magically stay another 3 years which couldn't be accomplished in the TEN YEARS we've already been there?? If we aren't just about done and ready to call it Mission Accomplished in a REAL way by now, it's time to leave. I'm not seeing a Mission Accomplished banner for anything more than photo ops and propaganda, so I'm going to remain in the camp saying that we may HAVE been correct in 2001 to respond....but enough with throwing good lives after lost causes.

Wherever this pooch got screwed, that point is well behind us now, as well as opportunities to repair the damage and make things right. Time to wave ado and wish Karzai the best of luck with that whole negotiated peace thing after we're gone. Oh, and please DO forget to write.
I don't think any American even wants to hear the name of that nation for a generation or more after this mess!

(Mullah Omar said in 2001 that the United States would reach this point....and that through attrition and the endless stream of cannon fodder to throw at us, they'd win by wearing us down... How silly huh?)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Or they will stay until 2016 and when it comes around they will make up some more bs and keep them there after that as well.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
this vid sums it up quite nicely.

snake in disguise.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Yeah but

That could all be changed depending on who is in the White House between now and then. The 2014 date has been kicked around for a few months. I first heard about it back in July of this year.

Having said that...

The Taliban are no longer in power and OBL is dead.

Time to split the scene.
Declare victory and bug out IMO.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Declare victory

what victory

the victory of having spend 100 of billions on a useless war?

the victory of having killed OBL, or so they say...

the victory of bombing a country back into the stoneage?

the victory of raping a country from their resources for personal gain?

there is no victory to be found in Afghanistan.

everybody is a loser in this was except for the people with the multimillion or billion dollar contracts.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

That could all be changed depending on who is in the White House between now and then. The 2014 date has been kicked around for a few months. I first heard about it back in July of this year.

not it does not.

remember 'you can take that to the bank'

if the masters behind the scenes want to keep fighting this war, this war will be fought no matter who is in the White House.

if that wasn't the case, Obama would have brought the troops home.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
remember 'you can take that to the bank'

Only fools believed him

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
if that wasn't the case, Obama would have brought the troops home.

The day Obama won the Presidency I wrote here at ATS in a thread that we would still be in Iraq and Afghanistan for years. [Not because I supported the Wars but because the US won't just stop in the middle of a shooting war]

My reply went over like a FART in church. [All those here who were all starry eyed Obama supporters BOOED and HISSED at my reply] Meanwhile, here we sit 3 years later and the US will finnaly be pulling the last of it's troops out of Iraq by the end of this month.

Afghanistan is a whole other beast all together.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
In Australia, the role of aussie commandos and sasr staying beyond 2014
has been discussed in parliment for the last few months and seems likely.

I always assumed if the aussies are gonna be there so will America and New Zealand

Afghanistan and the border region with Pakistan is also good ground for special forces
recruits to get battlefield experience and I'm sure there will be rotations of personel
through there.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Yep, the only reason he is actually considering pulling out now is because of the election year. Not to mention that numerous US troops will remain there only to be renamed diplomats. Lets not forget the contractors

new topics

top topics

join