It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm not sure of who I am, let alone who you are. Charles1952

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Hello. As you should know, my name is Charles (I've never lied on ATS.) There's a chance you might have seen me post in a thread, and an even better chance that, if you did, you saw me as rather colorless.

It makes perfect sense to draw that conclusion because of my principles for thread posting. If someone starts a "fact" thread, I'll check the source for accuracy and to see if the story supports the headline and post. If it does, I'll try to learn why the thread author thought it was significant.

If the thread is an opinion piece, I'll try to compare my opinion with his in order to find some common ground. Then I'll try to expand that common ground so we each learn new truths.

Pretty boring, right?

But my objective here is to learn, and not to defeat anyone. When someone loses their ability to communicate an idea, I'll just walk away from the thread.

Wait, I take that back. Twice I've stuck with a thread even after it was apparent that nothing could be gained from it.

But if I'm creating my own thread I get a little wilder. I'm particularly proud of my rant and some of the comments here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

OK, so that's me. Who are you? Here are some people who have replied to me:

IMO you are nowhere near as naive as you try to make out..
I have no time for people like that..
End of discussion

This is the kinda thing you don't even research because you know it's just bull#
(Referring to a court ruling that found Iran materially supported the 9/11 attack)

do you see the little copyright symbol next to all those translations?
Rupert Murdock owns everyone of them.
Do you see a copyright for the KJV 1611 Authorized Version? Of course you don't, but why not?
Because nobody can own on Earth what is of Yah.
(Discussing various Bible translations)

First of all, Catholics are not Christians......they are Catholic. How hard is that guys? Can't people spell, much less read Sound it out! How embarrassing that I see this same mistake almost 5 times a day on ATS.

See what I mean? I'm just not as, ummmm, "colorful," that's the word, as ATSers are.

I suspect that if I was more "colorful," I wouldn't have to pick bits of wall plaster out of my skull as often, I'd fit right in.

I have expressed my worry, that I might not fit in, to another member. He assured me that, while some ATSers would like to come after me, they can't because they don't know where I live. I'll sleep better tonight.

SO, PLEASE HELP! Give me the advice I need to fit in comfortably here. More than once I have spoken harsh and uncharitable things to my computer while reading a post others do not find to be exceptional. Or, give me the sad truth that I don't fit in and should explore some other site. I could even take that.

I find that I care about the members of ATS and would like to contribute here. (I also find that I do not have a good way to end this note. So, 'Bye for now, and yes, I'll answer questions.)

I was just about to post this and it dawned on me that I haven't given you any personal information. I don't know what you'd care about, but maybe some of my background? I've been an Armor platoon leader, tank system researcher and analyst, Special Training Co. Commander, assigned to ASA, (The Army branch of the NSA, back when.) postal worker, federal agent, attorney, mediator, college instructor. I suspect that any of those job descriptions are sufficient to raise hackles, but I like to think I'm more or less normal.

edit on 17-12-2011 by charles1952 because: headline problem

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Hi Charles. I have seen you on a few threads I think and your answers seem polite, well-formulated and addressing the subject at hand. I wouldn't worry too much about the "colourful" stuff. Some here are just rude, it is better to be oneself and be honest than anything else. IMHO anyway.

In other words, and keeping it short, you're doing just fine. Haters gonna hate, yanno?

And I agree with your rant too, (very well written too!) there is a time and a place for everything. If they had come to a concert I had paid to see and enjoy, I would be pretty annoyed too. Although the kinds of concerts I go to are not classical, they do have security. I guess the Royal Albert Hall (that is where the Proms happen?) had not thought of that or ever had to deal with it in that setting before. We live and learn.

Oh yeah, welcome to ATS!

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS..

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Hi Charles.
Like your stuff, keep it up.

Beez

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well, hello Charles.

I read your post, and I read your rant that you provided a link to.

Let me give you my take on them both. First of all, I don't see ATS as a place to "fit in", I see it as a forum to speak one's mind in cyber space. Most of us on this site are not mainstream, regular folks to begin with. There is something about us which drives us to seek the truth, and we are willing to go to the "outer limits" to get it. You have as much right as any other poster to say how you feel. However, people being as they are, you will get some who will argue with you, put you down, and some who will support you. That's life

Secondly, and take this as constructive criticism, I found it difficult in both posts to understand your main point. In this post, I guess your main point was asking, "Do I fit in?" It is never a question of fitting in, this is not a high school clique. Man up, say what you gotta say and be done with it. If you're the only one who feels that way, so be it. I guess I'm so used to being on the outside looking in that it is second nature to me. I am often the only one who feels a certain way about something. I accept it as part of my uniqueness, and I don't give a rat's behind who agrees. Since you were a soldier, I guess the idea of fitting in comes from there. However, I rather like the idea of being an "Army of One". If you are writing your feelings, that is exactly what you are.

On your linked rant, it was not apparently obvious that the reason the concert was booed was because of anti-Israeli feelings. This should have been paramount to your rant. I didn't figure it out until I read some of the posts from others. Perhaps in future postings, you may want to boil down you main point into a single sentence, get it out there in the first paragraph, and then add on from there. Sometimes, when the mind races, the main point can easily get lost, but here on ATS, readers expect things to be put succinctly so they don't have to pick through a tangled spaghetti of words and thoughts.

Also, it helps to be calm before you write. Writing while angry makes it difficult to communicate effectively. If I'm mad, I'll write something but not post it. I'll walk away and come back in a bit when I'm more mellow. More often than not, I will change most if not all of what I wrote.

You also indicated that you find some threads pointless and gain nothing by them. ATS is a little bit of everything, and nobody can be interested in every single thing. It's a buffet. Take what you like, ignore what you don't. Personally, I like most things and I find that my world view expands by reading all the various topics. If you are more business-like about what goes in your head and if there's a "benefit" for it, so be it. It takes all kinds, no?

Who are you? You are Charles. Your opinion on ATS is as valid as anybody else's.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Assuming 1952 is your birth year? If so then The FB gen will never know what your on about.
Welcome and your a big part of this community.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Dear friends,

Many, many thanks to you all. Of course I know of LightSpeedDriver, and the incredibly famous bunny, beezzer. I've seen a lot of FissionSurplus and 12voltz, too. I'm honored that you stopped by. With any luck, I'll get to know Trustme333 as well.

I love constructive criticism, FissionSurplus, and I admit that you're quite right. In fact in this thread, I didn't even have a main point. I did have a couple of things that I wanted to say, then about half way through, the "fit in" question came to me, so I tacked it onto the end.

I will remember your criticism and try to put it to good use. (I've just noticed that I've failed to do that in this post. Oh, well.)

12voltz, you're absolutely right, 1952 is my birth year. You are only the second person to ask about it. The other person thought I sounded much younger. I still don't know if that was a compliment or insult.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Hello Charles,

Welcome and I know you will be adding your own flavor and that is as it should be.

Somebody here said Catholics aren't Christian??????? Funny, I've never heard that before. You never know what you're going to run across around here.

See you around.

sad eyed lady

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Welcome aboard my friend. May you find out who you are.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Welcome Charles!

I guess most of the people in here have a diversified background and are pretty much "free thinkers", so anything must be regarded as normal in here.

About myself, I am an engineering physicist and a father of two with a very high interest in Qi Gong self-cultivation. I guess it all started because I felt something was terribly wrong with myself and this world. To make a long story short I started self-cultivation in Falun Dafa(the highest form of Qi Gong with a very advanced theory behind it) and that means I cultivate my mind and body in daily life.

Mind cultivation is the most important and in Falun Dafa that means assimilating oneself to Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance in daily life, take troubles lightly and be kind to others, including those who treat you badly(you don´t remember what you did to him in your previous lifetimes).

I can tell everyone that if your mind improves your meditation will improve, that is my experience.

Anyway, I wish you all the best and hope you will find your way in the future.

/Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good, Falun Dafa is good

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I'm not sure of who I am,
Charles1952

quite a occupation list for your Resume'

was it not 1952 when the UFO flap at Washington DC happened...

maybe that is the dots that need connecting, to find out just who you are...? Star Person

ARE YOU A STAR PERSON? - CATHERINE ADAMS, MA ...
litespirit.com/star.html
The idea of being a Star Person, Star Child, or Star Seed (all the same thing) ... It can be considered that you are a star person is you are...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Gaussq

Dear Gaussq,

Thank you for your welcome.

I find that I'm often confused when I start talking to others, and have to make a small effort to discover what they mean. For example, in your post (Which is completely admirable, I have no complaints.) I'm confused by "engineering physicist," "cultivate my mind and body," and "assimilating oneself to Truthfullnes-Compassion-Forbearance." I'll take a look at your links, but I don't hold out much hope for either my mind or body.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know how I think. If I post in one of your threads and start by asking "What does that mean?" Now you won't be surprised.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Dear St Udio,

Nice of you to find something that happened in '52, but as far as I know, my parents weren't in D.C. then. I suppose I should ask. Now, I'll have to look up Star Person and read a lot. Drat ATS and its knowledgeable members!

If it matters, a team from one of the Ivy league schools travelled quite a way to stick electrodes on my head and give me other tests when I was about 10.

As far as the occupation list, I suppose I could've toned it down by saying, military, legal, and education.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Hey, well I guess it's never too late for an introduction and a welcome. I have seen your comments just a few times and from what I could recall reading, you've expressed a humility not always seen on ATS. This is commendable, and judging by your 'resume', your experienced opinions should be very welcomed here.

That you've been an Armor PL stood out to me, personally. Anyway, I'm still somewhat 'new' here also so couldn't imagine giving much advice, but if I had to, I'd say try to avoid getting involved in back-and-forths with members who might not agree with your comments or opinions... It can help a thread stay on track - And well to be honest, this is something I have been working on in my postings. Other than that, be bold! And welcome.

Take care!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Hi there,

when I said engineering physicist it relates to my schooling and my professional career. When I talk about cultivating mind and body I mean that I try to transform my old notions, bad thoughts and karma into something better and more pure - virtue(and finally Gong - a high energy matter)..

In Falun Dafa cultivation it is assumed that you carry two substances in your body(in another dimension), that is virtue(white substance which is good and assimilated to the characteristics of the Universe) and karma(the black substance which is against the characteristics of the Universe). During the cultivation process one tries to eliminate the black substance and transform it into the white substance by suffering mental and physical hardships, it is not easy and one must let go of many things...

This is just a very short description of what Ido and there is definitely hope for everyone with a good heart.

As far as I understand it, if you just know that Falun Dafa exists during these times and that it is about goodness you will be very lucky in the future.

Just my two cents at my level, I can offer no truth. I sincerely hope you will find your way in the future.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Hi Charles and all!
This thread caught my eye the other day, but I didn't have time to reply.
Okay, so you wonder if you fit in... IMHO, fitting in is overrated, but feel free to draw your own conclusions. But then fitting in was never a priority for me... I'm much more comfortable blazing my own trails

Originally posted by charles1952
I'm not sure of who I am, let alone who you are.
This is not really a problem, unless you think it is. I would much rather have an unformed and open view of myself, than to be chained by other people's expectations, let alone my own expectations. Do you realize that most people spend over half their lives attempting to live up to others' expectations and a great deal more of their time trying to fulfill their own ideas of who they think they should be, instead of doing what they really want?

I had a recent experience that had a profound effect on me. Some would call this an out-of-body experience, others would call it a vision. If I have to give it a name I'd just call it 'real' because it seemed more real than this 3D, third rock experience. It's very hard to relate it, because the mere act of putting it into words seems to degrade the experience tremendously. I'll try to give a brief synopsis of it because I think it fits here...

I went into meditation with the ever-present question of "Who am I?" As I slipped into an altered state and began my journey I saw what might be described as a huge tree, altho there was no sense of 'up in the tree' vs 'down on the ground'. I immediately recognized the 'tree' as a representation of the totality of me. Just that realization seemed quite profound, because the "I" that I call Manny, was only a small branch on this huge tree with many hundreds (perhaps even thousands) of other branches representing other lives and other experiences. Ironically I didn't see this as the ego mind would see it, ( overwhelming, feeling small, lost in a crowd, etc.) but rather I saw the portion that was this personality as a very significant piece in a much larger framework.

As I explored this tree I kept meeting other parts of me that I instantly recognized, perhaps what we'd call other lives (past, present, and even future). It was fascinating listening to the others' experiences and feeling a kind of deja vu, like I experienced it myself in some far-off distant past. I spent a great deal of time exploring all the other selves because they were all so familiar to me that I couldn't believe I'd forgotten about them. I was surprised to meet an Afghani woman, (long dress, covered head and veil, the whole bit) because in my present incarnation I often have memories, glimpses into my other lives. I have scattered, partial memories of perhaps 20 or so other earth lifetimes, but never fancied myself as a muslem woman, but there she was, and I must say I really enjoyed interacting with her...

Perhaps that analogy will help in some small way to help you understand the enormous complexity that is YOU. It really helped me. Altho, you have no idea how hard it was to condense that experience into words.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperManny

Dear SuperManny,

Thank you for your post, it resonated strongly with me.

I was called upon to deliver the remarks at my father's funeral service. That was not easy for me to do. In my remarks I referred to my father as a tree. Even the funeral program had a hand drawn sketch of my father as a tree. I've thought about it a lot, both before and after the service.

You know, it's still emotional writing about it now, the sadness is huge. But I always thought the image of my father was right on many levels. I think I can understand what you are saying.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Pics, or it didn't happen, TROLL!!!

Haha I'm --just kid'n--

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

I thought this was well-written and wanted to star it. But where is the star button? Is it not available on "introductions?" Or is it just my pathetic computer acting up?

Anyway - Cheers to you also Charles!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Hi Charles, I am Cynical. Its really not a good thing most of the time but... Do you ever feel really frustrated by people? People in traffic,people you encounter during the day? Do you ever think, What in the world are some people thinking? I come on ATS and find some interesting news or information, then start reading comments and become more frustrated.
My advice is, dont ever leave a comment on ATS after 3 or more drinks because you may type something you regret. Just dont even log-on. smile

top topics

<<   2 >>

join