It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is SOPA? Why does it need to be stopped? Best 20 min informative video you can watch.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Hey everyone, I think that the internet should be more focused on this bill, and many people don't understand it even though it could affect each of us. This is a great video with nice graphics that explains the whole thing, I think that this is something that we simply can't allow.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
It was scheduled to be voted on this week by the House Committee but they postponed it because they said it required a closer look.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Not so much...

Quoted from Reddit:

SOPA has NOT been postponed to 2012! The Committee members who support SOPA quietly changed the hearing date to the 21st, trying to trick the American people into thinking it was over for the year. This is dirty politics and should be illegal. Fight back. Let them know this is not over.

While it is true that the MARK-UP (more important than hearing) has been postponed, it is NOT for the reason stated in that shrill post/title.
The real reason is that a significant number of Members on the Judiciary Committee had issues with the bill itself, although those issues were different from the ones reddit cares about. Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith basically couldn't get the support he thought he could get at this mark-up and was FORCED to schedule a HEARING to deal with these issues after the break.
If there are dirty politics going on, it's not against the American people, it's against other Members of Congress whom Congressman Smith is trying to railroad to make sure this bill goes to the floor in 2012. KNOW YOUR FACTS.
I know this post won't get upvotes because it gives Members of Congress some credit, but I get a lot of my news from reddit, and I didn't want a shrill, INCORRECT post just hovering on the #ing front page without some kind of rebuttal.

edit on 17-12-2011 by MrMaybeNot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMaybeNot

Good video
thanks.
The guy in the video brings this very important topic well onto the point... with a funny cynical touch.

Really good video to share with friends and family to inform about censorship.

He also provides good links for more research at the end and in the description of the video.
edit on 17-12-2011 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

The crazy thing is that it has the potential to harm the Internet everywhere, not only in the US. I have absolutely to way of expressing my view on this bill because I'm Canadian...

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMaybeNot
reply to post by satron

Not so much...

Quoted from Reddit:

SOPA has NOT been postponed to 2012! The Committee members who support SOPA quietly changed the hearing date to the 21st, trying to trick the American people into thinking it was over for the year. This is dirty politics and should be illegal. Fight back. Let them know this is not over.

While it is true that the MARK-UP (more important than hearing) has been postponed, it is NOT for the reason stated in that shrill post/title.
The real reason is that a significant number of Members on the Judiciary Committee had issues with the bill itself, although those issues were different from the ones reddit cares about. Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith basically couldn't get the support he thought he could get at this mark-up and was FORCED to schedule a HEARING to deal with these issues after the break.
If there are dirty politics going on, it's not against the American people, it's against other Members of Congress whom Congressman Smith is trying to railroad to make sure this bill goes to the floor in 2012. KNOW YOUR FACTS.
I know this post won't get upvotes because it gives Members of Congress some credit, but I get a lot of my news from reddit, and I didn't want a shrill, INCORRECT post just hovering on the #ing front page without some kind of rebuttal.

edit on 17-12-2011 by MrMaybeNot because: (no reason given)

If it could have been passed this week, it would have, but like it says, it didn't have the support to go through, which is why they postponed the date. What does it have to do with tricking people?

I'm kind of confused about the quote, because I don't know what the original Reddit article said.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMaybeNot

The beauty of globalization

Gotta love it when your souvereignty gets outsourced...

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
(related) Also from reddit, in a thread called ''I work in News. This is how you stop SOPA.'' , i saw a comment that got me thinking and i thought i would share.

I used to be a section editor of a local newspaper. Most of the time, we sat around desperately trying to fill space. But we're also working on tight deadlines, so we can't go out and cover things when we don't even know who to talk to. You know why there's a story about the local puppy shelter, and not opposition to SOPA? Because they sent us a press release, with a few numbers to call as sources, and you didn't. Round up a web designer, a college professor, and a local artist. Get their email addresses and numbers to the news desk. Congratulations, you have a story.

The average redditor seems to have a romantic, idealized view of the news-gathering process. In reality, it bears as much resemblance to All the President's Men as IT does to Hackers. Reporters, editors etc. aren't given a free pass to research every story as diligently as it deserves. Deadlines, sources, column inches, etc. - this is what the average media person is worrying about - not changing the world.

A lot of young people like to imagine a shadowy conspiracy controlling the media from the top down. It's comforting to think you're not in control, and therefore aren't responsible. But in reality, it's just because the corporate interests understand how PR works, and the grassroots don't.

If anyone is interested in the rest they can find the thread here:
www.reddit.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Devil's Advocate: wouldn't it be easier to pass controversial bills at weird times, like 3am in the morning (wasn't that the time when they passed the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act?) or the 21st of December?

Less scrutiny when you are sure people are asleep or too busy getting ready for Christmas/traveling/shopping.

top topics

join