It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Virgin Mary ad creates controversy.

page: 3
13
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
reply to post by Redux
 


So you do not like parody?

I don't know how on earth you got that from what I said. Big leap there.




posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes
 





This guy is wrong, yes. But it doesn't mean he is not "Catholic" or that the Anglicans don't "know what it means."


I understand.. the reason why I said that was because of what volgon said.. and pointed out that it was a priest who said it.. which is why I mentioned that the priest must not have been catholic..



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
reply to post by wildtimes
 





This guy is wrong, yes. But it doesn't mean he is not "Catholic" or that the Anglicans don't "know what it means."


I understand.. the reason why I said that was because of what volgon said.. and pointed out that it was a priest who said it.. which is why I mentioned that the priest must not have been catholic..







OK, for the THIRD time........please bring that up with the priest, this forum is for comments about the pic.
(snort suppressed)



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes
 





Personally, I found the billboard picture funny. In bad taste if one cares about the sensibilities of those who believe the "Virgin" Mary was actually a "virgin." Or that her own conception was also a "miracle."


I'm sorry to hear you have turned your back on your faith and baptism.

I have done so as well in my life.. but thankfully the prayers of the faithful have brought me back to the truth...and it will be revealed to all at some point.

Those who mock the truth and Holiness of the bible..such as this add does.. will have to account for it someday.. but the grace of Jesus covers many sins.



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011
 


Yes, I have to agree.....your religion is a VERY good marketing scam.
Sadly, there is little more to it than that.

Anyway....I believe this forum is supposed to be about a picture.
edit on 17-12-2011 by vogon42 because: snort removed



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42
reply to post by gabby2011
 


Yes, I have to agree.....your religion is a VERY good marketing scam.
Sadly, there is little more to it than that.


Someday you may feel differently.. and if and when you do you will see why the add is not inspired by the Holy Spirit.

You have the right to your own opinions..and I will never take that away from you...but please respect the right I have to mine.



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011
 



I'm sorry to hear you have turned your back on your faith and baptism.


I still have faith....I just found that the Episcopal Church made me feel, as a little child, kneeling between my parents, that I was an unforgivable sinner who was "not worthy to pick up the crumbs" from under "His" table...and that I had done something wrong without knowing it, and failed to do what I was supposed to do, and not loved my neighbor as myself...and on and on......
and a little girl of 4 or 5 or 6 years old, who is incessantly trying to do her best to be a good person is STILL unworthy and a failure. I just didn't know what it was I had failed to do, or done unwittingly. And it made me feel like I was a piece of crap. So I quit going there.

That "judgment" is what turned me off. One can't play a game in which one does not KNOW THE RULES.

Back on topic -- the picture is a modernized appeal to some idea that is not apparent to me, and I still don't get how it puts "teen pregnancy" in any category at all.



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
Back on topic -- the picture is a modernized appeal to some idea that is not apparent to me, and I still don't get how it puts "teen pregnancy" in any category at all.


Thankfully, something relevant to the topic. Mary was a "young woman". Teen if you will. My question is does this newer approach to "Mary's pregnancy"
relate to modern times, to teens today or is it just offensive?



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by gabby2011
 



I'm sorry to hear you have turned your back on your faith and baptism.


I still have faith....I just found that the Episcopal Church made me feel, as a little child, kneeling between my parents, that I was an unforgivable sinner who was "not worthy to pick up the crumbs" from under "His" table...and that I had done something wrong without knowing it, and failed to do what I was supposed to do, and not loved my neighbor as myself...and on and on......
and a little girl of 4 or 5 or 6 years old, who is incessantly trying to do her best to be a good person is STILL unworthy and a failure. I just didn't know what it was I had failed to do, or done unwittingly. And it made me feel like I was a piece of crap. So I quit going there.

That "judgment" is what turned me off. One can't play a game in which one does not KNOW THE RULES.

Back on topic -- the picture is a modernized appeal to some idea that is not apparent to me, and I still don't get how it puts "teen pregnancy" in any category at all.



EXACTLY.......I feel organized religion is FAR to cultic.

Anyway.....do you (or ANYONE else) notice what I see in the shadows??



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid
 


Well, I'm neither offended nor in favor of it. I just simply don't get what the "artist" is trying to say. And her expression is rather flat (the yawning thing seems most likely).

Call me lacking in "artistic interpretation", but I can only fathom that it means that teens should carry through their pregnancies...
and not seflishly abort a child that was inconvenient.
Perhaps it's meant to speak to those young women who find themselves pregnant. I really don't know.



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes
 





Back on topic -- the picture is a modernized appeal to some idea that is not apparent to me, and I still don't get how it puts "teen pregnancy" in any category at all.


neither do I ..which is why I replied to it in the post made by the op..which he stated below.
Quote by intrepid


So, is this modernizing the Immaculate Conception or is it truly offensive. Personally I like it. With the media these days making light of teenage pregnancy, see movies like Juno, I think it sends a message to todays youth.


Quote by wildtimes


That "judgment" is what turned me off. One can't play a game in which one does not KNOW THE RULES.


Ahh the judgement.. of course. I see so much judgement coming from many.

Judgement is not only from the church.. society is thick with it.. especially from those who consider themselves more educated.. therefore more worthy to judge.

There has been much judgement on these forums that has turned me off... and I have been guilty of it as well.

I am trying very hard to let God be the judge...because in the end.. He is the judge.. and the salvation.






edit on 17-12-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42
 


I do notice the shadows. It's not that great of a picture/painting, artistically speaking. It reminds me, now that you say that, of when I was an 8-year-old, and taken out of class to be given a "test", in which I was supposed to answer a bunch of questions about a variety of subjects. (This was in 1966).

When I got home, my mom told me I was going to a different school where they taught "advanced" subjects, because I had done so well on the "test." I was told afterward that it was an "IQ Test"....The one question I missed was the 'what is wrong with this picture?' where the shadow was aiming the wrong way.

But, well, my mom is totally "navigationally challenged", so I chalk it up to heredity and youth. I have since learned to determine my "direction" by shadows.

Go figure.



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Another thought.

Compare the hands
the left hand looks a bit masculine, where the right hand appears more feminine.

I'm wondering if this was not an "original artist" pic, but rather something scanned in and photo shopped.

(scan pic, add left hand over mouth)



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Cute as hell, I love the look on her face, and I can sympathize as well. I had that moment a long time ago... and then got my tubes tied as soon as my son was born so I wouldn't go through it again!



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid
 


You'll probably find there's very little controversy in New Zealand over it. Who cares what a paper on the other side of the world says or anyone else for that matter, when you live in paradise and are so relaxed?
edit on 17-12-2011 by Garfee because: typo



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I thought it was rather humorous. I think some people get offended too easily, and people like that really get under my skin. How hard is it to just ignore something, instead of whining and throwing a fit about it? The only way it will affect anyone is mentally, and that is their own fault for not being mentally strong enough to handle something as mundane as a picture. Wow.

This says way more about those who complained that it does about those who put this up in the first place, in my honest opinion. My advice to these complainers is to get a life, grow up, and develop a sense of humor. There are much more important things that you could be doing, instead of causing problems for those who actually have a life and sense of humor.



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
I thought it was rather humorous. I think some people get offended too easily, and people like that really get under my skin. How hard is it to just ignore something, instead of whining and throwing a fit about it? The only way it will affect anyone is mentally, and that is their own fault for not being mentally strong enough to handle something as mundane as a picture. Wow.

This says way more about those who complained that it does about those who put this up in the first place, in my honest opinion. My advice to these complainers is to get a life, grow up, and develop a sense of humor. There are much more important things that you could be doing, instead of causing problems for those who actually have a life and sense of humor.


Why do you let them get under your skin?... You whine about whiners.. how mature is that ?.. why not just let them have their say.. ?

those who complain about the ones who complain only show how they are no better.

You talk about people getting a life and worrying about something more important...and this is more important?.. to post and whine about the whiners.. maybe you need to get a life?

Some people do take their religion seriously as well as the miracles of God.. if you can't handle their reverence for the topic, maybe you need to have a little more respect.

You think others need a better sense of humor..and some may think you need more respect for religious reverence.



posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
Why do you let them get under your skin?... You whine about whiners.. how mature is that ?.. why not just let them have their say.. ?

those who complain about the ones who complain only show how they are no better.

You talk about people getting a life and worrying about something more important...and this is more important?.. to post and whine about the whiners.. maybe you need to get a life?


Hahahaha, the irony.

Thanks for the laugh.



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid
 


If all of the the 'conception of jesus' stuff happened nowadays then mary would most likely get herself a pregnancy test and given that she hadn't had sex i dare to say that she would also be quite shocked by the news.

So any body seeing this in any light other then a modern day depiction of the virgin mary discovering that she's pregnant has their own issues to deal with, One comment suggesting that it makes her look like a whore suggest to me that the person responsible for the comment has an issue with the concept of pregnancy on some level.

Like i said, if all of that bible story stuff went down today then this might be a reasonably accurate depiction of what would happen.

Whats the problem? people looking for trouble and offence where there is none.



posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I'm not a fan of christianity but I think it's stupid trying to "modernize" these stories. Next we're going to see Jesus jamming out to an iPod while he hangs on the cross, and ignorant followers who actually believe the people of those times had that technology. Apparently some christians think the earth is only 6,000 years old, so I'm guessing we should keep it as simple as possible for those special individuals.
Half the problem with religion is that it gets more and more confused as time goes by and it's changed and distorted to fit the people of the time.

Keep ancient history ancient, please.




top topics



 
13
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join