It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virgin Mary ad creates controversy.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

My views do not differ from the priests ..

lol.....ROTFL...then LOL again....then snort (now regaining composure)..do you listen to your self?

So your saying you agree with...

In a post on the Auckland church's website, titled Mary is in the pink, Cardy and associate priest Clay Nelson write that to the Virgin Mary, her immaculate conception would have been "shocking."

when you have already corrected someone else who was simply quoting from the article

I think the add is silly.. and takes away from the true holiness of the miracle that happened to a virgin... putting teen pregnancy in the same category .

(this is about a picture, not teen pregnancy)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Two different thoughts -

1 - It's not accurate. 'The Immaculate Conception' - Mary - would not have been 'shocked'. The pregnancy was announced to her ahead of time and she agreed to it. She said to the angel Gabriel - "I am the handmaid of the Lord, let it be done unto me as you said'. So it's a silly ad.

2 - BUT, if they used something like this to show unwed mothers that their children matter and that the children are a life that may change the world around them for the better ... then that could be a good thing I suppose .. it could save unborn children from being killed.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

I think the add is silly.. and takes away from the true holiness of the miracle that happened to a virgin... putting teen pregnancy in the same category .

Putting teen pregnancy in the same category as.......
silliness?
or
true holiness?

Virgins do not get pregnant. I'm not sure what the point of the picture is...the priest says it is:

that to the Virgin Mary, her immaculate conception would have been "shocking."

"Her" immaculate conception. Meaning her OWN conception in her mother's womb?

Personally, I found the billboard picture funny. In bad taste if one cares about the sensibilities of those who believe the "Virgin" Mary was actually a "virgin." Or that her own conception was also a "miracle."

So...that would make HER the Daughter of God. Not the mother of the Son of God. Seems to me it is her mom who should be the miracle-mother. But, as we all can see, patterns repeat themselves...from generation to generation. It's clever, though. The painting...I wonder what Bill Maher would have to say about it.

(see film: Religulous)

edit on 17-12-2011 by wildtimes because: spellng

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

In a post on the Auckland church's website, titled Mary is in the pink, Cardy and associate priest Clay Nelson write that to the Virgin Mary, her immaculate conception would have been "shocking."

He is not a catholic priest..and therefore doesn't understand what the term means.

from wikipedia..on the immaculate conception..

The Immaculate Conception of Mary is a dogma of the Roman Catholic Church, according to which the Virgin Mary was conceived without any stain (in Latin, macula or labes, the second of these two synonymous words being the one used in the formal definition) of original sin.[1][2] It is one of the four dogmata in Roman Catholic Mariology. It is completely distinct from the Virginity of Mary and the virgin birth of Jesus, though it is a popular mistake to confuse them. Mary is sometimes called the Immaculata (the Immaculate One), particularly in artistic contexts.

The reference to teen pregnancy was about what the OP said in his original post.. here it is..

So, is this modernizing the Immaculate Conception or is it truly offensive. Personally I like it. With the media these days making light of teenage pregnancy, see movies like Juno, I think it sends a message to todays youth.

Anthing else you care to snort about..?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
i find this kinda stuff really funny, 'if you dont like it then dont look at it' lol a lot of over reaction me thinks.......

the virgin birth
one womans lie about having an affair getting way out of hand

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
OK, seriously curious to know what everyone sees.

do you think she looks

Shocked?

Happy?

Lacking much emotion?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
[Virgins do not get pregnant. I'm not sure what the point of the picture is...the priest says it is:

that to the Virgin Mary, her immaculate conception would have been "shocking."

"Her" immaculate conception. Meaniing her OWN conception in her mother's womb?

TO STRAIGHTEN OUT EVERYONES WAYWARD CATHOLIC THEOLOGY -

According to the Catholic Church - (and what every priest is supposed to agree on)

1 - MARY is the Immaculate Conception.

2 - Yes, she was conceived immaculately in her mothers womb.

3 - It means SHE was conceived without sin .. her parents still had relations .. but her soul was unstained by original sin.

4 - She was NOT surprised or shocked by the pregnancy at all. She expected it because the angel Gabriel told her about it and she agreed to it.

5 - What she was surprised at was the angels greeting ... 'hail full of grace' ... Notice she wasn't surprised that an angel was speaking to her .. only that he used that greeting. THAT is a mystery isn't it ?? Sounds like etherial visitations happened to her a lot ... she was used to them.

Now that all that has been said ... how about commenting on Intrepids commercial ...

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
the hand over the mouth shows surprise but the eyes look very emotionless

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Putting teen pregnancy in the same category as....... silliness? or true holiness? Virgins do not get pregnant. I'm not sure what the point of the picture is...the priest says it is:

The mother of Jesus was a virgin..its called a miracle of god.. this priest does not understand the bible.. if he thinks Mary was shocked to find out she was pregnant..

[26] And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth,

[27] To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.

[28] And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

[29] Who having heard, was troubled at his saying, and thought with herself what manner of salutation this should be.

[30] And the angel said to her: Fear not, Mary, for thou hast found grace with God. [Luke 1:30] [Latin]

[31] Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and shalt bring forth a son; and thou shalt call his name Jesus.

[32] He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the most High; and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of David his father; and he shall reign in the house of Jacob for ever.

[33] And of his kingdom there shall be no end. [34] And Mary said to the angel: How shall this be done, because I know not man?

[35] And the angel answering, said to her: The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the most High shall overshadow thee. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Scripture clearly shows that she was informed by an angel of what Gods intentions were for her.. so there is no way she would be shocked.. to find out she was with child..

edit on 17-12-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

ok...... focusing on the pictuer.......

i find it hard to get emotional over the way fictional charactors are portrayed
mary with a pregnancy test?
winney the pooh with a flame thrower?
why does anybody get annoyed with these things? its a mystery to me

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thank you !

I didn't read your post before adding my previous one.. I see now it was not needed since you explained everything well.

It's good to have back up..and scriptural reference.

To add again what I feel about the picture.. it goes against scripture.. because she would not need a pregnancy test..so in my eyes it demeans the truth of scripture.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Originally posted by intrepid

Semantics. Words and phrases evolve.

It's not semantics, The Immaculate Conception Of Mary and The Virgin Birth Of Jesus Christ are two entirely different occurrences not even remotely linked, the poster was simply pointing that out... it has nothing to do with semantics at all.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

Putting teen pregnancy in the same category as....... silliness? or true holiness? Virgins do not get pregnant. I'm not sure what the point of the picture is...the priest says it is:

The mother of Jesus was a virgin..its called a miracle of god.. this priest does not understand the bible.. if he thinks Mary was shocked to find out she was pregnant..

[26] And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth,

[27] To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.

[28] And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

[29] Who having heard, was troubled at his saying, and thought with herself what manner of salutation this should be.

[30] And the angel said to her: Fear not, Mary, for thou hast found grace with God. [Luke 1:30] [Latin]

[31] Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and shalt bring forth a son; and thou shalt call his name Jesus.

[32] He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the most High; and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of David his father; and he shall reign in the house of Jacob for ever.

[33] And of his kingdom there shall be no end. [34] And Mary said to the angel: How shall this be done, because I know not man?

[35] And the angel answering, said to her: The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the most High shall overshadow thee. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Scripture clearly shows that she was informed by an angel of what Gods intentions were for her.. so there is no way she would be shocked.. to find out she was with child..

I find it a bit funny that virgins getting pregnant are preached about by guys that like little boys.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

1 - It's not accurate. 'The Immaculate Conception' - Mary - would not have been 'shocked'. The pregnancy was announced to her ahead of time and she agreed to it. She said to the angel Gabriel - "I am the handmaid of the Lord, let it be done unto me as you said'. So it's a silly ad.

I would guess that anyone who agreed to becoming miraculously impregnated would still be surprised when they missed their period.

Great pic. Love things that knock dogma & belief around a bit.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

I find it a bit funny that virgins getting pregnant are preached about by guys that like little boys.

and you admonish me for going off topic..c'mon..

But if you want to go there.. I will say this.. not all priests molest little boys.. just like all coaches don't either.. though many have...as well as doctors, teachers, lawyers and judges..

So should we abolish sports because of the perverts who use their position in them to molest boys..?

There were many corrupt Jews in the hierarchy of the church during the times of Christ.. Did God abandon salvation for all souls because of this corruption.. ?

The priests who have molested children will have to answer to God.. just as everyone who molests children without true repentance will have to.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

OK, I'll admit...its a bit off topic, but you have to admit you catholics are a strange lot.

OK, aside from that. One thing I notice in the picture is the shadowing on Marys Left hand makes it appear the light source is coming from ABOVE, while the shadowing on her Right hand makes it appear as if the light source is coming from her LEFT.
Just something I think in a subliminal way could alter ones view of the pic. (your brain registers that the shadows are not correct)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

He is not a catholic priest..and therefore doesn't understand what the term means.

What?

A progressive Anglican church
Um, I was raised in the Anglican church, ma'am. (Episcopalian --- the Church of England --- the church proclaimed by Henry VIII as the official one -- which was started in the 3rd century).

I have long since turned my back on it, and all other "organized" religion, but you are mistaken. The Anglican church follows the Bible, and it technically IS a Catholic church:

Anglicans believe the Catholic and apostolic faith is revealed in Holy Scripture and the Catholic creeds and interpret these in light of the Christian tradition of the historic church, scholarship, reason and experience.

Revealed through the droning of the "Nicene Creed":

Who, for us men and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.

And I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of Life; who proceeds from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets.

And I believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come.

anglicanhistory.org... (this next ex-text):

There is no doubt that since the Reformation Anglicanism has suffered a serious cultural invasion from the direction of a Protestant ethos. The lofty position assigned to the Mother of our Lord, both theologically and in popular devotional practice in the ancient tradition of the Catholic Church, has been one of the principal objects of this Protestant attack. This is probably one reason why some contemporary Anglicans who are fully Catholic in outlook nevertheless are slightly discomfited by the name of the Dogma, "The Immaculate Conception," and sense a kind of atmospheric uneasiness when it is used. But the Anglican Church has never wavered officially (whatever may be said of the emotions of large numbers of her members) in upholding that Catholic tradition of our Lady's sinlessness.

Yes, they DO know what the term means.

The word "catholic" means "universal" according to most Western interpretations, pronouncing the universality of Christ's church. It refers to the wholeness and totality of all true believers in Jesus as the Christ. The Church as the Body of Christ is not limited to a time, place, race or culture.

Protestants believe that it encompasses every Christian of any denomination, even though they each hold to certain distinctive doctrines, beliefs, practices, and social views.[8] [9]
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 17-12-2011 by wildtimes because: formatting

edit on 17-12-2011 by wildtimes because: add source

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

The immaculate conception is a dogma of the catholic church.. if this priest is calling the miracle of Jesus being put into marys womb the "immaculate conception.. then he is just plain wrong..

Did you not read what wiki says about the term immaculate conception?

I have long since turned my back on it, and all other "organized" religion, but you are mistaken. The Anglican church follows the Bible, and it technically IS a Catholic church:

This may be true.. but it still doesn't change what the term actually means..

What don't you get about that?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Seriously, does anyone else notice this?

One thing I notice in the picture is the shadowing on Marys Left hand makes it appear the light source is coming from ABOVE, while the shadowing on her Right hand makes it appear as if the light source is coming from her LEFT.
Just something I think in a subliminal way could alter ones view of the pic. (your brain registers that the shadows are not correct)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I totally get it. The immaculate conception is when Mary was concieved. I learned that in the ANGLICAN CHURCH, before I was confirmed in the church at age 12, 12 years AFTER I was baptized in the Church.

This guy is wrong, yes. But it doesn't mean he is not "Catholic" or that the Anglicans don't "know what it means."

Completely off-topic, but while you are correct that he is wrong, it is not BECAUSE HE IS NOT CATHOLIC.

The picture is funny, IMO. Did you notice how the Anglicans use Scripture, Reason, Experience?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join